Masters of the Air - Follow Up to ‘Band of Brothers’ and ‘The Pacific’ From Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg

Disco Stu

Sooooo excited for this! 

And Blake Neely returns! 
I just hope we’ll get a proper score release and not those weird 15 track suite albums he has been forced to release from all his scores lately. What’s up with that?!

Look forward to it when it hit next year. BofB was just stunning. Pacific was okay too but a tad different. 

I only recently managed to get a sealed PACIFIC cd dirt cheap compared to the hybrid prices online since its pretty rare.

Looking forward to this series, albeit I doubt that it will live up to Band of Brothers, just like TP couldn’t. But if it will be only as good as TP, I’ll be satisfied. 

32 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Blake Neely? I wish they aimed higher. 

He co-wrote The Pacific with Zimmer and Zanelli, so that’s probably the reason why he was chosen. But yeah, I agree, they should definitely have aimed higher, especially after Michael Kamen. But to quote a true classic, Ms. Rachel Zegler: That’s Hollywood, baby.

On 07/10/2023 at 9:20 PM, Jay said:

Forced? 

Maybe that's exactly his preference 

He said so himself on twitter once that this formula was the only way he could get them to release the albums. Max 15 tracks, max 75 minutes. So yeah..,.forced.

At first I thought it was only the Arrowverse stuff, but his album for other shows keep getting releases like this as well...

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

Huh, interesting.  I'd love a more detailed explanation from him, like who said that and why

It should be there in his tweets somewhere (couple of years back), but it was a request from Water Tower.

On 8/10/2023 at 2:45 PM, JTW said:

He co-wrote The Pacific with Zimmer and Zanelli, so that’s probably the reason why he was chosen. But yeah, I agree, they should definitely have aimed higher, especially after Michael Kamen. But to quote a true classic, Ms. Rachel Zegler: That’s Hollywood, baby.

Blake Neely is Michael Kamen's orchestrator on Band of Brothers

1 hour ago, Jaaaackified said:

Blake Neely is Michael Kamen's orchestrator on Band of Brothers

So was Kamen. 

When I heard of this, I thought of rewatching Band of Brothers. Now I am doing so, I am loving it*... being so familiar with the score album since age 16, I am getting more nuance from the complete score now. Has there ever been a release? And is the theme from Suite Two actually used in the series?

*I can reflect on how far I've come in 20 years, from boy to man... I get to see strong leadership and an all-male environment (I work in an all-woman environment with weak leadership)... and much like my love of The Road, I get to appreciate how well-off I am by watching others' bravery and strife.

• 4 weeks later...

Warming up to this by watching BAND OF BROTHERS and THE PACIFIC again, on Netflix. Just finished BOB yesterday, and wow, I had forgotten how great that series is. Leaves you in a kind of "blues" when it's over, because you want more, and at the same time not. Stunningly gorgeous cinematography (and music, obviously). And you run into all these weird observations -- Ross from FRIENDS screaming pre-star Michael Fassbender in the face, the sudden appareance of talk show star Jimmy Fallon on a jeep etc. So many stars in their nascent years.

On to THE PACIFIC....

On 08/10/2023 at 1:02 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Don't you Ever say his name!

Zimmer Zimmer Zimmer Zimmer Zimmer Zimmer Zimmer Zimmer Zimmer Zimmer! Hans!

(And @Naïve Old Fart says:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9521jathgi7nu6ygvga6k

)

Since Newman AND JNH have been named, I would go with Patrick Doyle.

But Neeley should be great.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow.

Does anyone else hear The Fury? (Where else could I possibly say that and be understood?)

My daughter asked if this was a video game because the faces looked like Hogwarts Legacy. The most damning part of that statement? She plays on the Switch!

It is amazing how quickly a person just IS Doctor Who. :)

EDIT: To be clear this is my most anticipated show.

Yeah, started out with The Fury totally. But that is not a bad theme and could be so much worse, like a Balfe click track. I mean, the Kamen was more or less a total reworking of Robin Hood (perhaps not the theme but most of the other interesting stuff). And the Zanelli/Neely stuff for The Pacific is very dour, post-Thin Red Line stuff. So the fact that this one goes for orchestral mayhem is encouraging!

6 hours ago, Dogstar said:

I mean, the Kamen was more or less a total reworking of Robin Hood (perhaps not the theme but most of the other interesting stuff).

Sorry but could you maybe elaborate more on this or perhaps point to the parts of Robin Hood that you think Kamen is reworking? 

As is Kamen's theme doesn't feel like it apes any of his previous work but it certainly fits within his soundscape, what I mean is that it does sound like Kamen but it doesn't sound like it's just using older materials in a new way. 

I think it's an okay theme, but it has a couple of problems -- one, that any acoustic instrument (like, presumably, the lead trumpet) is doubled or tripled with samples. Two, that there is very little dynamic range; there's basically one gear throughout, and little ebb and flow in volume and development. So it's inevitably overshadowed by the far superior themes for BAND OF BROTHERS and THE PACIFIC. But that's fine; I never expected it to reach those levels anyway. Especially not BAND, which is one of Kamen's best compositions ever.

5 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Sorry but could you maybe elaborate more on this or perhaps point to the parts of Robin Hood that you think Kamen is reworking? 

As is Kamen's theme doesn't feel like it apes any of his previous work but it certainly fits within his soundscape, what I mean is that it does sound like Kamen but it doesn't sound like it's just using older materials in a new way. 

I can sort of hear a similarity in the ascending notes (when the horns first appear in the Robin Hood Overture) but aside from that, I think they sound very different compositions.

Now, Suite Two has more than a passing resemblance but I put that down more to Kamen's orchestral style being very striking. Same sort of thing if you compare the openings of Silvestri's Polar Express and The Mummy Returns suites - it's the orchestra doing exactly the same thing, just with two different melodies, because it's the same composer.

14 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I can sort of hear a similarity in the ascending notes (when the horns first appear in the Robin Hood Overture) but aside from that, I think they sound very different compositions.

Now, Suite Two has more than a passing resemblance but I put that down more to Kamen's orchestral style being very striking. Same sort of thing if you compare the openings of Silvestri's Polar Express and The Mummy Returns suites - it's the orchestra doing exactly the same thing, just with two different melodies, because it's the same composer.

Oh yeah I can hear what you mean with the horns. 

Suite two has really great moments of using the main theme. I think maybe that first minute is probably the closest sounding to Robin Hood though. For scores where Kamen reworked stuff, Lethal Weapon and Did Hard possibly share more than a striking resemblance to each other, but would have to go back and listen to both to really be able to point to specific cues. Not familiar with those two Silvestri scores unfortunately.

I think that’s a really boring theme. The ‘sound’ is right but there is no hook. I literally cannot remember it already.

And the lack of a well-composed theme means the visuals couldn't match it. The focus on action and technology over character is telling as well.

It's a far cry from the hymnal qualities and sublime matching visuals - including important changes of gear in both - that stands as pretty timeless in Band of Brothers.