What Is The Last Film You Watched? (2021 films)

Jay

House Of Gucci (2021)

House_of_Gucci-338538439-large.jpg

Not as entertaining as I hoped it would be. Yes, Lady Gaga is very good in it, but besides not being all that entertaining, it appears that Scott has nothing to say either. That's why when the movie is over you are left with an unsatisfied empty feeling. And the fact that every actor has his or her own interpretation of the Italian accent is quite distracting. The Last Duel is better. 6/10

On 23/01/2022 at 6:35 PM, Edmilson said:

I can imagine Bale talking to Keaton: "Your Joker was a glorified prankster, mine was an anarchic mass murderer".

I'm sure the news anchor is comforted that it was just a glorified prank

In Batman (1989), Joker poisons the city and says "put on a happy face".  Thirty years later, in Joker (2019), that phrase becomes Arthur Fleck's  motto. : r/MovieDetails

I.just rewatched the first two- thirds of NTTD.

The second time around I found the complicated story much easier to follow. It does make sense plotwise.

But, I have no intention of ever watching the last third - when 007s sneak onto the island- ever again.

Total letdown

2021 Suicide Squad Characters Cast Cameos Dead or Alive

The Suicide Squad

We finally watched this the other week because we wanted to check out the Peacemaker show.  Ehhhhh, it was alright.  Probably better than the first one, but they both kind of lack something special to make it all that remarkable.  There was certainly a lot of funny parts, like when the accidentally kill all of the rebels because they think they are the bad guys, so it works as a comedy primarily - but even then, it's way too long.  You could probably shorten this by half an hour and still have a comprehensible movie that really moves.  Some of the best jokes are given away in the trailer too.

It's on HBO Max

Last Night In Soho (2021)

647354-le-film-d-horreur-last-night-in-s

The main character's monotonous and constant stares of terror during the second half started to annoy me so hard that I couldn't stand it anymore. The first half wasn't all that great either. Last Night In Soho seems to be nothing more than an excuse to recreate the nightlife in the '60s. Everything else is simply not interesting. Stopped watching. 

The Green Knight

That was... an experience, right? It's a completely bonkers movie that nonetheless remains fascinating to watch. Not everyone is going to like it, but those who stick to it will be rewarded with an interesting view of Middle-Age fantasy.

13 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

That was... an experience, right? 

Not for me. I watched it but there was always a distance between me and the movie. I did like the opening shot with the house and the geese and the burning tower in the background. And the scene with the kid in the battlefield demanding gratitude. OTOH, scenes like with the giants had an artsy fartsy kind of feeling that I don't find very appealing.

• 3 weeks later...

Free Guy

Better (and funnier) than I expected. It's one of the best from the subgenre "main character lives in an imagination world created by humans", slightly below The Lego Movie and the first Wreck-It Ralph but better than Ready Player One and the Ralph sequel.

It was enjoyable, but forgettable.  The best/funniest parts where the Star Wars and Avengers stuff towards the end

Encanto and the King's Man. 

Beautifully colored and a slow sllooww burner. 

Both helped pass the day.

• 4 weeks later...

RXPIRYZIUREQBNOM772GL2DHF4.jpg

Flee

Truly arresting stuff. One of the most authoritative and earnest portrayals of the refugee experience. Definitely up there with last year's best.

• 2 weeks later...

The Green Knight (2021)

I liked it better the second time around. In fact, all scenes are good except for 'The Headless Woman' and 'The Giants' scenes. When it comes to actresses, I noticed that I'm much more impressed with Alicia Vikander than with Ana de Armas. Not only is Vikander more "my type", she's a better actress as well. She would be perfect as a replicant in Blade Runner 2089.

fe2995fa58fcf5002c31306ec93ca298c24993c2

Watch Die in a Gunfight Full Movie Online, Release Date, Trailer, Cast and  Songs | Comedy Film

Die In A Gunfight

Alexandria Daddario needs a better agent because she ends up in a ton of crap films and this is potentially the worst of all of them.  An attempt at being an updated Romeo and Juliet in modern day NYC (of course actually filmed in Toronto) in the world of organized crime, it fails on just about every level.  It was so boring I fell asleep, which hardly ever happens.  t's on Hulu

35 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I liked it better the second time around.

I liked it better still the third time around, and even more the fourth. It's a strong candidate for best film of the year (and even of the decade so far).

55 minutes ago, AC1 said:

When it comes to actresses, I noticed that I'm much more impressed with Alicia Vikander than with Ana de Armas. Not only is Vikander more "my type", she's a better actress as well. She would be perfect as a replicant in Blade Runner 2089.

Well, she already played an android in Ex Machina, and did it brilliantly.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead Stars in 'Kate': Watch Trailer - Rolling Stone

Kate

Predictable female led action/assassin movie that has some nice action and fight scenes and doesn't outstay its welcome.  Mary Elizabeth Winstead is an assassin, who has been raised by Woody Harrelson , who is now her handler. After a job in Japan to kill a yakuza officer goes wrong, she ends up poisoned and is told she will die within a day.  The rest of the movie is her exacting revenge on those who poisoned her, which includes her caring after a child for most of it, and a completely predictable reveal of who the real villain is.  Many of the action scenes are genuinely fun even if the story is nothing new, and at least the Japan setting gives it a different character than a lot of these movies.  It's on Netflix

Don't Look Up (2021) - IMDb

Don’t Look Up

I know a lot of people around here didn't like this, but I loved it!  We watched it right when it came out and laughed a lot and really enjoyed the story.  I don't really understand the criticism that it's satire is so direct because that's exactly what they were going for.  So many different characters had their own funny things going on and the overall story was never lost in the shuffle.  The most impressive performance for me was actually Jennifer Lawrence; I've seen her deliver good dramatic performances before plenty of times, but I had no idea she could be so funny!  I also really loved the ending, they nailed it (both the first ending and the bonus ending). It's worth a watch on Netflix!

17 hours ago, Jay said:

Don't Look Up (2021) - IMDb

Don’t Look Up

I know a lot of people around here didn't like this, but I loved it!  We watched it right when it came out and laughed a lot and really enjoyed the story.  I don't really understand the criticism that it's satire is so direct because that's exactly what they were going for.  So many different characters had their own funny things going on and the overall story was never lost in the shuffle.  The most impressive performance for me was actually Jennifer Lawrence; I've seen her deliver good dramatic performances before plenty of times, but I had no idea she could be so funny!  I also really loved the ending, they nailed it (both the first ending and the bonus ending. It's worth a watch on Netflix!

I think it's a terrific film. And well made on all counts.

On 09/04/2022 at 5:29 PM, Glóin the Dark said:

I liked it better still the third time around, and even more the fourth. It's a strong candidate for best film of the year (and even of the decade so far).

I was however annoyed with the terrible compression. I wonder if it's Prime or the movie itself. During dark scenes it was almost as bad as the blu-ray of Valhalla Rising.

We watched Night House. Not sure if its 20 or 21. Either way its another slow burning horror film. Well acted and in a few scenes its intense. Its a decent film. But nothing happens 😂

On 04/08/2021 at 3:52 PM, Tallguy said:

Greenland, ummmm. I didn't like it. I don't know if it was good or not. It was just a plot and situations that I don't enjoy and if it was well done or not I wasn't going to like it.

I feel the same way. But my conclusion is, ”didn’t like it” = bad.

Nightmare Alley

That was great! A movie that clearly shows how mature Guillermo Del Toro is as a filmmaker. Amazing cinematohraphy, costume design and production design, all of which were nominated for the Academy Awards.

The only thing that could've been better is the score, which is not bad, but rather anonymous. Also, Bradley Cooper looks so much like Indiana Jones in the beginning of the movie, it's really off-putting.

I started watching that ages ago but somehow I didn't feel like it. After Carnivale, it all felt a bit déjà vu. I should give it another attempt.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Nightmare Alley

That was great! A movie that clearly shows how mature Guillermo Del Toro is as a filmmaker. Amazing cinematohraphy, costume design and production design, all of which were nominated for the Academy Awards.

The only thing that could've been better is the score, which is not bad, but rather anonymous. Also, Bradley Cooper looks so much like Indiana Jones in the beginning of the movie, it's really off-putting.

I think it's his best film. For me, everything about it just worked.

And Cate Blanchett is sooooo good in the film. One of those performances from her where I thought to myself if there is something she can't do. Amazing!

Those Who Wish Me Dead

I liked all of Taylor Sheridan's movies (whether it's as screenwriter or director) and though this one isn't as good as Wind River or Hell or High Water, it was still better than I expected. Not a masterpiece, but still a very intense action movie with some great suspense moments.

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

Those Who Wish Me Dead

I liked all of Taylor Sheridan's movies (whether it's as screenwriter or director) and though this one isn't as good as Wind River or Hell or High Water, it was still better than I expected. Not a masterpiece, but still a very intense action movie with some great suspense moments.

I love Sheridan but this one fell flat for me. Felt really over-the-top. 

No Time To Die

It's okay.... I wouldn't go much further than that. It felt like there was a lack of real excitement (it seems like no chase lasts longer than about 30 seconds) and Rami Malek is in the film for a few nanoseconds.

Zimmer's score for the most part just blended vaguely into the background, and the lack of extended action sequences explains why the album seemed very uneventful when I gave it a spin last year. There were perhaps one or two action moments that vaguely atracted my attention musically, but otherwise in terms of an in-film experience, this was just wallpaper and actually got worse upon hearing it in the film. I wish someone else had scored this.

As I'd heard in a very slightly spoilery way, 

Spoiler

there's clearly no doubt that Craig's Bond is dead. And to be honest, he's had his time and it does feel like a fresh actor is now due.

Spencer (2021)

spencer-01.jpg

Watched it on Prime. Not bad, but the movie is a bit too one-sided and black and white. I mean, every other member of the royal family is cold and heartless beyond belief. It is clear that Kristen Stewart has studied the videos of Lady Di very thoroughly. 7/10

Injustice

Animated movie adapting the DC comics and games of the same name, about Superman being driven mad by the Joker and becoming a tyrant.

Considering it has a lot of story to cover, it's a miracle the movie is minimally coherent. That said, it's still not particularly good. A lot of stuff happens and you don't have time to digest all the "shocking" moments. And a villain showing up late to (kinda) unite the Justice League again was silly.

It's laughable how the movie tries to be "edgy" and "mature" (like a lot of DC content these days) and it's actually just kind of goofy. Sure, it has some gory moments, but aside from that there's nothing there that a child couldn't watch.

F9

The thing about these Fast movies that make they so successful is that they're surprisingly wholesome, with all that talk about "families stick together". They're feel good movies unlike most Hollywood action stuff these days, like those depressing Daniel Craig Bond movies. Also, Brian Tyler's score was surprisingly good.

That said, the movie is still pretty bad, with its utterly ridiculous (in a bad way) action scenes. It kinda undercuts the family stuff, because how are you going to believe in their friendship if all that surrounds them are pure nonsense?

I would've like these movies better if they were just about fast cars waging races in the street. The franchise has been reusing the same plot since the 6th movie, and it only doesn't end because it makes a ton of money for Universal.

• 2 weeks later...

Venom 2: Let There Be Carnage

Yeah, it's pretty bad, but at least it has some scenes where it's "so bad it's good". I probably would have liked this movie more if I was, like, 11 years old and going through that phase where the villains/anti-heroes are cooler than the heroes.

I guess I prefer the first one.

Shang-chi...rings.

And we’re back in Marvel mode! That was pretty great. Didn’t like Katy that much, but loved the YouTube guy and of course Ben Kingsley (and Sue). Ooh, post-credit scene! Sequel, please! Now! Phease four, I’ve embraced you. But those TV series…

The score is… quite something too. The intimate cues are better than anything the MCU has ever produced. Surprisingly, the action music took a while to reach the same level and I even loved the source music. Where do the Ten Rings from Iron Man tie into the story, though? Were they just crooks doing cultural appropriation or are they the same people? Love Hotel California. Score suite, yeah!

Operation Mincemeat

I always like these sort of films. It's a bit slow sometimes but the story is very engaging. It's incredible to think that things like this really happened almost 80 years ago.

Firth, MacFadyen, MacDonald & Wilton were all in top form. The few scenes Jason Isaacs is in, he is very good in.

Newman's score as always works really well in the film. It's a bit less interesting on album. But there are some very strong cues.

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Operation Mincemeat

I always like these sort of films. It's a bit slow sometimes but the story is very engaging. It's incredible to think that things like this really happened almost 80 years ago.

Firth, MacFadyen, MacDonald & Wilton were all in top form. The few scenes Jason Isaacs is in, he is very good in.

Newman's score as always works really well in the film. It's a bit less interesting on album. But there are some very strong cues.

It's a lot more moving than the trailers suggest. I need to read the book. Both this and The Man Who Never Was are great films and both have different strengths.

I like to see Isaacs play characters that aren't "Hey! That was Lucius Malfoy! He sucks!" But he's good.

Fleming was pretty good but they tended to write him through the lens of the movies, especially the gadget bits which weren't really in the books.

• 2 months later...

Licorice Pizza (2021)

jD98aUKHQZNAmrk0wQQ9wmNQPnP.jpg

Featherweight movie from PTA and therefore leading to a moderately fun but shallow experience. Here today, gone tomorrow. On a positive note, PTA clearly has found his new Philip Seymour Hoffman (Yes, his son). 6/10

A Quiet Place Part II (2020) - IMDb

A Quiet Place 2

I watched this earlier in the year when we had Paramount+, and I liked it!  In some ways, it's kind of just as good as the first movie (which I really liked a lot), though in other ways, it's also somewhat pointless and lessens the weight of the first movie to even turn it into a franchise as all (I don't really have high hopes that the upcoming prequel movie or inevitable third movie will be all that great, especially as the kids age yet they insist on giving these movies endings where the next one has to pick up right afterward

One detraction is that in the first one you barely saw the alien creatures, which was a good thing - it made the threat more scary that way.  In this film they clearly had a bigger budget since the first one was a hit, so show the monsters way more often... but it's kind of not that great CGI, so is more of a disappointment than an improvement.  Another disappointment was that the ending was very similar to the first one's ending.

All that being said, I still kind of like both films a lot, and would happily watch them both again some day.  There is some decent world-building and good new ideas in this one, in contrast to the relatively smaller story and stakes of the first.

Apparently it's on both Paramount+ and Amazon Prime, now

Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard review roundup: Sequel to Ryan Reynolds film  suffers from 'repetitive and tired genre tropes' | Entertainment News,The  Indian Express

The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard

We really enjoyed the first film (The Hitman’s Bodyguard), it was a nice blend of action and comedy.  Ryan Reynolds and Sam Jackson had good comedic chemistry, and Salma Hayek was absolutely hilarious in the small handful of scenes she had.

On paper this sequel could have been even better, with Hayek promoted up to being a third main character, but it really just wasn't as good, at all.  The plot is completely forgettable, Antonio Banderas as a new villain isn't given much interesting things to do, and Morgan Freeman is another pointless part of the plot.  A lot of the comedy this time is just Reynolds constantly being the butt of all the jokes, which I suppose is a nice shake-up from him usually playing the snarky guy making all the jokes, but it just didn't work here.  I won't remember anything about this movie in too long.

It's on HBO Max

The Nowhere Inn': inside St. Vincent and Carrie Brownstein's surrealist  meta-doc

The Nowhere Inn

I'm not even sure how to describe this movie - it's one of the most bizarre films we've seen in a while.  It presents itself as a documentary about the musician St. Vincent, but the entire thing is actually a completely scripted farce.  In the movie St. Vincent hires Carrie Brownstein to document her upcoming tour, and the movie occasionally shows music performances, but is mostly increasingly bizarre backstage antics and other stories (including an extended cameo by Dakota Johnso), culminating in a bizarre ending that doesn't make any sense.  I can't say I loved the film, but I admire it for swinging for the fences in an attempt to make something unique and fresh.  I'm sure a select set of filmgoers will absolutely love it.

It's on Hulu

Encanto' reviews: What critics are saying about Disney's new film

Encanto

This Disney animated flick didn't do much for me.  But I guess it wasn't made for me

The Map of Tiny Perfect Things' Review: Another Do-Over - The New York Times

Map of Tiny Perfect Things

You know, it turns out I really like time loop movies.  Groundhog Day, Edge of Tomorrow, Palm Springs, Boss Level... all great!  This movie attempts to blend a traditional rom-com into a time-loop scenario, and while I can't said it's anywhere close to as good as those previous time loop movies I mentioned, it was enjoyable in its own way - a cute little low-stakes affair that you can watch with a partner who isn't much into sci-fi but is into rom coms and you both come out happy.

The lead in this movie is a teenager stuck in a time loop in the midwest somewhere, and early scenes feature fun time loop stuff like pulling off seemingly amazing feats just because he's had infinite chances to practice.  But soon this film does something Palm Springs also does, that is having a second character stuck in the time loop with him, and that's where the film really takes off and the romcom begins.

Kathryn Newton as the love interest (eventually co-main character, really) gives another fine performance; I've enjoyed her in everything I've seen her in so far (Lady Bird, Blockers, Three Bilboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, Big Little Lies, and especially FREAKY where she was terrifically awesome), she's starting out her career on quite the serious of high water marks.  She's quite charming in the this.  

By no means is this an important or game-changing film, but you can spend 90 minutes watching far worse.  It's cute and light!

It's on Amazon Prime

Why Bob Odenkirk is the best thing about new action movie 'Nobody'

Nobody

Oh man, I loved this movie!  This is just a super-fun action movie that doesn't take itself seriously, has a ton of fun with its different fights and chases, and all comes together in a silly over the top extravaganza that was really amusing.  Christopher freaking Lloyd is in this movie!  Definitely recommended, super fun!

It's on HBO Max.

Guillermo del Toro, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins, Rooney Mara, And David  Strathairn Unravel The Mysteries of NIGHTMARE ALLEY - Fangoria

Nightmare Alley

Boy, I really liked this film!  I loved the mood atmosphere, the long and winding plot, the acting (A huge cast of greats who all brought their A game), and the ending.

I don't recall this film getting much attention or discussion at all, but I thought it was great and would happily watch it again

It's on HBO Max & Hulu

I loved how unpredictable and interesting the plot was.  Like I thought it was some movie set in a circus, and I loved that that was only the first 30 minutes or so then we were off on a new adventure.  And I liked that it was set in Buffalo NY, I nice departure from the usual cities just about every movie cycles through.  And Cate Blanchett just killed it as always, becoming such an interesting character after we had already met so many interesting characters at the circus.  

It was a film that kept on giving, all the way to the end!