Moonraker, License to Kill, and Tomorrow Never Dies expanded releases almost happened but are now on hold

MattyO

The 2003 release of The Living Daylights is a reissue of the expansion Rykodisc released in 1998.

It isn't complete, as we were just discussing here.

10 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Living daylights was expanded in 2003. I have it. It is complete isnt it?

Some cues weren't released, and it's not in chronological order, since the bonus material is added to the end of the program, but it's mostly complete

1 hour ago, Archive Collection said:

If they managed to get TND released, I think that's a good sign for future Bond releases. HOWEVER we shouldn't take anything as a confirmation - until LLL puts out a flyer advertising a Licence to Kill or Moonraker CD!

It'd be great to have some context about what changed, because MV's comment earlier last year made it seem like Bond releases were effectively dead in the water (even if TND was in the works for years and years).

Every time I see this thread bumped I get excited thinking there’s new news about LTK or Moonraker, two of my few grails left. Fingers crossed this is the year.

• 1 month later...
On 21/1/2023 at 1:00 AM, crumbs said:

It'd be great to have some context about what changed, because MV's comment earlier last year made it seem like Bond releases were effectively dead in the water (even if TND was in the works for years and years).

My understanding of the situation was that TND and the other scores were in development, then a combination of factors put them on hold: COVID, No Time To Die, MGM being acquired by Amazon. Since they were able to complete TND in 2022, I’m sure the same can be done for Moonraker and LTK - however it’s probably best to avoid getting our hopes up until it is actually announced. I’m quietly confident that LLL would be keen on producing these albums, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve already begun work - but we won’t know anything until it’s essentially ready to go.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

The last word about Moonraker was that the elements were lost... so I'd be pleasantly surprised if LLL announced an expansion!

My last impression was that Moonraker has been found. Not sure where I read it though.

8 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

How about a crowdfunding approach, and get Nic Raine to orchestrate and conduct, à la RAISE THE TITANIC?

It is, probably, the only way that we'll get a C&C MOONRAKER.

Wasn’t this attempted by Intrada years ago?

45 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Wasn’t this attempted by Intrada years ago?

Someone. Not Intrada, I think. And one of the interested parties (the Barry estate or EON) stopped it.

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Someone. Not Intrada, I think. And one of the interested parties (the Barry estate or EON) stopped it.

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=107664

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/681802762/moonraker-new-recording?ref=email

It was Tadlow/James Fitzpatrick.

12 hours ago, crumbs said:

The last word about Moonraker was that the elements were lost... so I'd be pleasantly surprised if LLL announced an expansion!

Not only was this not the last word, it was also not the first word. Lukas Kendall said that when he produced the other Bond expansions two decades ago, he couldn't find Moonraker tapes where the tapes for other Bond scores were (possibly because it was recorded in Paris unlike the others). That was a rushed project; he did what he could with limited time and didn't have time to go hunting for Moonraker other places (he didn't even have enough time to produce expansions for all the scores he had elements for!)

Then after Lukas said this, a game of telephone started between film music fans which eventually turned into "Moonraker tapes are lost!" ... it was never the case. Lukas just literally had a few weeks to do what he could do, and he did the most he could with the time he had.

Yavar

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Lukas just literally had a few weeks to do what he could do, and he did the most he could with the time he had.

That's... That's terrifying. I know we're a niche. And a tiny one at that. But why are these projects always so RUSHED?

They aren't always. Sometimes projects take many years to happen. That just wasn't the case with Bond. You can read/listen to more with Lukas about them here:

https://www.universalexports.net/interviews/kendall.shtml

https://jamesbondradio.com/the-music-of-bond-an-interview-with-producer-lukas-kendall/

Yavar

I... never bought the Bond Re-Masters, aside from Thunderball.  And now they're OOP.  What should I do?  Considering Yavar's post about Lukas rushing to get them done, it seems like there's a real desire to do them properly.

4 minutes ago, Andy said:

I... never bought the Bond Re-Masters, aside from Thunderball.  And now they're OOP.  What should I do?  Considering Yavar's post about Lukas rushing to get them done, it seems like there's a real desire to do them properly.

Buy the LLL's that exist, and wait.