John Williams & Berliner Philharmoniker 14th/15th/16th Oct 2021

MaxTheHouseelf

1 hour ago, lairdo said:

Interestingly, the video running time is 115 mins but the CDs and Blu-ray Audio Disc have a total running of 147 mins. I am not yet sure how those 8 mins differ.

Uh typo there, you mean 107 instead of 147?? The scan says it also.

3 hours ago, BB-8 said:

The glossy edition with postcard from Japan! A double jewel case!

20220208_133226.jpg

Nice.  The dual disc box is cool. So do we need a special player for the UHQ sound?

Pure Audio Blu-ray vs HQ CD... that's only a format war I guess?

The Pure Audio Blu-ray of the Berlin Concert offers the music (if we talk about the PCM STEREO) up to 24-bit/192 kHz.

Is it the same with the HQ CD?

9 minutes ago, Amer said:

Nice.  The dual disc box is cool. So do we need a special player for the UHQ sound?

UHQ-CD play on normal CD players.

As far as I've understood, the materials and manufacturing process differ from conventional CD and are supposed to elicit superior sound that is reminiscent of the original source.

I am made to believe that they sound better than normal CD. I could also imagine that UHQ-CD will be less affected by plastic decay.

But it's all a little mythical.

UHQ-CD Is all snake oil

It's still 16 bit 44khz audio on there

They just changed the materials it's pressed onto

7 minutes ago, Bespin said:

So this Japan set is irrelevant... My God those horrible green discs... :lol:

But the Blu-ray audio disc doesn't play on a decent high-end CD player. And I refuse to plug a multi-disc MP3 player into my HiFi or to replace my HiFi through a multi-tasking Home Cinema.

So that's why I like these green little things. It's for a small market, but it's keeping the CD format alive.

I'm not well equiped in term of Blu-ray player, I still use my PS4... :lol:

My PS4 is connected to my TV with the HDMI plug, then I plug my headphones directly into my TV.

I don't know if it's still considered "HQ" then, but I don't really care!

3 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

But the Blu-ray audio disc doesn't play on a decent high-end CD player. And I refuse to plug a multi-disc MP3 player into my HiFi or to replace my HiFi through a multi-tasking Home Cinema.

So that's why I like these green little things. It's for a small market, but it's keeping the CD format alive.

As Jay said, there's no improvement over a regular CD. As long as the bits can be read, the information is the same. 

6 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I'm not well equiped in term of Blu-ray player, I still use my PS4... :lol:

My PS4 is connected to my TV with the HDMI plug, then I plug my headphones directly into my TV.

I don't know if it's still considered "HQ" then, but I don't really care!

It's not likely that your PS4 is passing the full 24/192 stream to your TV, no.  You can probably research that to verify

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's not likely that your PS4 is passing the full 24/192 stream to your TV, no.  You can probably research that to verify

Obviously that's not the best set-up, but I'm still shopping for a real good Blu-ray standalone player.

3 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

It's only because I made it to the cover of JW in Vienna and my first JW record was vinyl...so I have developed a soft spot for vinyl, knowing that it is crap.

Crap can be fun. Just ask HanZ.

11 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

But it has these amazing little pops and crackling sounds! (Not joking.)

You can listen to your CDs near a log fire for the same effect!

10 hours ago, BB-8 said:

UHQ-CD play on normal CD players.

As far as I've understood, the materials and manufacturing process differ from conventional CD and are supposed to elicit superior sound that is reminiscent of the original source.

I am made to believe that they sound better than normal CD. I could also imagine that UHQ-CD will be less affected by plastic decay.

But it's all a little mythical.

Ok. I just ordered it too from Japan. Pricey. I like the packaging there.

Wow, I am LOVING this album! What time to be a JW fan. I don't think I've ever heard this arrangement of Nimbus 2000 before or maybe I'm just unfamiliar with the piece. It has a different texture and playfulness to it. Harry's Wondrous World also sounds like it has a lot more space in it than I am used to. The Jurassic Park theme is great too, but still played way too fast. Really enjoying this listen.

Listening more, the ending to the Flying Theme from ET is perfect. It has a real power to it. Probably hyperbole speaking, but it might be my favorite rendition, at least of the ending bit.

Confession:  I have been shamefully asleep at the wheel with the recent concert recordings starting with Across the Stars.

So I'm rectifying that.

Just ordered the blu-ray edition from Presto Music.  Now which CD version do I need?

I also need to backfill and pick up the Vienna Blu Ray and CDs.

@Bespin That Across the Stars edition on your shelf.. That is a DVD version, correct?

1 hour ago, Hedji said:

Just ordered the blu-ray edition from Presto Music.  Now which CD version do I need?

None. The Blu Ray edition comes with the CDs. 

1 hour ago, Hedji said:

@Bespin That Across the Stars edition on your shelf.. That is a DVD version, correct?

Yes. 

Across The Stars wasn't a concert, it was an album. The bonus DVD is behind the scenes footage of the recording. There is no blu ray version. 

Thank you both! :D

i do appreciate the quick help when my answer probably lies somewhere in the 48 page thread.  

just wait until I start asking absolutely convert work and non film score recordings. ;)

Seriously, I really appreciate the quick answers. You guys are awesome. 

28 minutes ago, Hedji said:

Thank you both! :D

i do appreciate the quick help when my answer probably lies somewhere in the 48 page thread.  

just wait until I start asking absolutely convert work and non film score recordings. ;)

Seriously, I really appreciate the quick answers. You guys are awesome. 

You have the details about the video "concerts" (on DVD/BD) on the discography page here: http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/dvd/index.htm

image.png

10 hours ago, artguy360 said:

Listening more, the ending to the Flying Theme from ET is perfect. It has a real power to it. Probably hyperbole speaking, but it might be my favorite rendition, at least of the ending bit.

Yeah, the ending made me cry at the concert. I can even see myself wiping tears away from my eyes on the live broadcast, haha.

47 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

Wow! JW in March at 90

I didn't get May the Fourth. I have a meaningless 0442.

The Force for two...:blink:

Haha, force for two does sound a bit silly but you can still make something out of it:lol: Let's see what the golden 2LP brings end of april.:whistle:

On 7/2/2022 at 6:44 PM, Amer said:

Uh typo there, you mean 107 instead of 147?? The scan says it also.

Ooops. Fixed. Thanks.

On 9/2/2022 at 4:21 AM, rough cut said:

Though it seems I have to wait for my limited gold 2LP (now sold out), it seems that part of my order is on the way: the digipack CD+BR and the 7" gold single!

Can't wait!

image.png

My 7" record shipped as well. I am so surprised that DG actually split the order. Hasn't arrived (I expect it will take 2 weeks). 

On 8/2/2022 at 1:30 AM, BB-8 said:

The glossy edition with postcard from Japan! A double jewel case!

20220208_133226.jpg

Awesome! My order cleared customs in LA yesterday, so hopefully will arrive today or tomorrow. DHL just says it has departed LA but not where it is at the moment. 

On 8/2/2022 at 5:36 AM, Jay said:

UHQ-CD Is all snake oil

It's still 16 bit 44khz audio on there

They just changed the materials it's pressed onto

This is correct. The theory (not borne out by any reviews I have read) is that the plastic produces more defined pits in the surface. This allows the laser pick up to better and more accurately read the discs, without losing data to rounded or soft versions. This should reduce the amount of error correction needed and thus produce an output closer to the master used for the CD. The information is still encoded at 16/44.1 just as CDs always have been. I would guess that any decent CD, DVD or Blu-ray player that plays CDs and is in a stationary position will not see a big benefit. Maybe if you are playing a CD in your car, the better plastic will make up for vibration? But then, you are in your car and how the heck could you tell the difference anyway?

The other recent format, MQA-CD, which I think was used on the Japan version of across the stars (but maybe I am confusing this with another JW release), supposedly folds extra information about the audio into a data track. CD players that can read this data then unpack the audio into a higher resolution. But this too is just a compression trick, and reviews have shown little difference in regular and MQA CDs. 

2/10 Addition: My order from Japan arrived, and I see now that the CD is both UHQ and encoded in MQA. Still, basically 16/44.1 - and that should be perfectly fine for listeners. All of the hires audio, as much as I love it, is generally seen as useless as long as you stay in a lossless format (e.g. no MP3 or AAC encoding).

1 hour ago, BB-8 said:

Wow! JW in March at 90

I didn't get May the Fourth. I have a meaningless 0442.

The Force for two...:blink:

meaningless?? In it you find the answer to the ultimate question about everything!