When does Williams start working on Indiana Jones 5?

crumbs

On 19/10/2021 at 2:09 AM, JohnnyD said:

With the release date being June 30, 2023, technically, Maestro John Williams was right when he said, "you’ll still have to wait until next summer to hear it." Next summer refers to 2023. We are currently in the Fall season; if one were to say, "this summer," one would be referring to the upcoming summer of 2022. You'd be forgiven for thinking otherwise, though.

This is -hands down- the post of the year. After reading the first sentence I was like: 'No way this is going to make any sense.' Then I read the whole thing: mind blown. Love it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/10/2021 at 3:29 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

2022? 

It would have been 2022 had he said "this year". And it would have been 2023 had he said "next year". But since he said "the year", it's obviously 2021. Duh.

Not to be a stickler, but when someone says “next summer” in October 2021, they’re referring to summer 2022. The use of the words “this” and “next” in a calendar year context refer to the current and following years, respectively. Note that this works because winter starts before the end of any given calendar year, so there’s no season where the above use of “this” or “next” is inconsistent with the intended meaning. Note too that this vernacular convention applies to words spoken in the second half of the year (in the first half of the year, the word “next” is really only used in the context of winter or spring.) I imagine someday, after enough climate change has happened, that this vernacular convention might change. But we’re not there yet.

Thank you for reading and uncritically absorbing this completely unnecessary, unsolicited piece of pedantry. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I'd rather he started writing and potentially giving them music to distract them from any temp track ideas.

Also could be as simple as scheduling, if they want a summer release, but summer 2022 is too soon, and JW is available now.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

A Q.Q:

Is JW really going to start scoring a movie, now, that is well over eighteen months from release?

I'm pretty sure if anyone here knew for sure, one way or the other, they'd already have posted the info in this thread.