11 film composers named their favorite John Williams score

Aliandra

Giacchino's rationale for his choice is quite good and thoughtful.  Danna is correct about Home Alone, which does prove the point about potential of film music to literally transform (or degrade, I suppose) a film.  

4 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Two votes for GEISHA?!!!!!

Nothing wrong with the score but.....look at the man's filmography!

Many of these comments sound as if written by a publicist

Or maybe just people with a different taste in music?? The question wasn’t what his most iconic or popular score is, it’s what their personal favourite is. The implication of course being the score that speaks most to them, personally, on an emotional level.

1 hour ago, Docteur Qui said:

Or maybe just people with a different taste in music?? The question wasn’t what his most iconic or popular score is, it’s what their personal favourite is. The implication of course being the score that speaks most to them, personally, on an emotional level.

Possibly.

More likely; they are not well versed in Williams' body of work.

I've never heard of the two composers who chose GEISHA.

Interesting choice whatever the reason

41 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Still surprising nobody chose any Star Wars.

I would call that a sign of sophistication, perhaps 😁 though I myself would not hesitate to shill for Star Wars.

I have a peculiar attachment to watching the film before listening to scores, but I so seldom watch films that I've never gotten round to watching Geisha or Schindler's List. I know that I'm missing out.

37 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Possibly.

More likely; they are not well versed in Williams' body of work.

I've never heard of the two composers who chose GEISHA.

Interesting choice whatever the reason

I imagine them being professional composers means they’re probably more well-versed in Williams’ oeuvre than the typical person. And I would add, probably have as much if not more insight about his music than most people here.

I don’t care much for a vast amount of Williams’ work myself, and probably haven’t even heard about a third of it. Personally my favourite is the first Potter score. Plenty of people here think it’s derivative, garish, and nothing he didn’t already do better with Hook. It doesn’t make my opinion any less valid.

Most composers concentrate on their own work and don't listen to alot of others.

I believe Williams himself confirmed he doesn't listen to much film music!

41 minutes ago, j39m said:

I would call that a sign of sophistication, perhaps 😁 though I myself would not hesitate to shill for Star Wars.

I have a peculiar attachment to watching the film before listening to scores, but I so seldom watch films that I've never gotten round to watching Geisha or Schindler's List. I know that I'm missing out.

Well ....SCHINDLER is brilliant.

I recently tried WATCHING " GEISHA" but it was so depressing I quit after fifteen minutes( I heard the score FIRST- a rare occurrence)

Nice but It annoys me when people pick something just because its different from the norm . My top 3 is Star wars A New Hope, Superman and Raiders. I think they are masterpieces.  Saying that, Mr Williams was on fire with the likes of Munich, Memoirs of A geisha etc that year.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Still surprising nobody chose any Star Wars.

I would say because it's an obvious choice. The score is well known while all the one quoted here (except E.T. and Schindler's List) are less known Williams scores. I think it's great that those composers mentionned them, might opened up some people to gem like Memoirs, WoE and others.

Thanks for posting all this commentary it was nice to read them

3 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

I would say because it's an obvious choice. The score is well known while all the one quoted here (except E.T. and Schindler's List) are less known Williams scores. I think it's great that those composers mentionned them, might opened up some people to gem like Memoirs, WoE and others.

Thanks for posting all this commentary it was nice to read them

I might remember this wrongly, but I think, from instrumentalists I heard more often, that Star Wars was their favorite Williams score.

It wouldn't surprise me. I was just pointing out the fact that it was very likely that they just wanted to expand people horizon on Williams music in those celebration time

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Nothing surpasses Star Wars, nice try.

Probably--however, the transformative special effects would have won it an audience either way.  Jaws would have been vastly inferior with a normal "scary" score.  In its case, the special effects would have brought it down.  

Jaws is a brilliantly written, directed, and acted suspense piece, I can't imagine it wouldn't enjoy a serious following today. I think Williams elevates it from like 90 to 100. Star Wars and Jaws both owe as much to their sharp editing as well. 

I'm just saying of the handful of films and scores that are both together canonized as popular John Williams classics, Home Alone is probably the weakest movie on many levels...it's like what, a 65-70 movie with the rep of a 90-95. By comparison I'd say Star Wars goes from like a 75-80 to 100, that's the only way I can put why I'd say it's close. Obviously Home Alone is still a charming tale but I just think Williams single-handedly loads it up with so much of its atmosphere and feeling compared to virtually any other average family comedy of its ilk. I'm just trying to imagine it with like an Ira Newborn score. 

I think it's also interesting to consider what Hook and the Star Wars prequels would be as cult objects without JW. It's painful to imagine how even less watchable Anakin and Padme's romance would be with an unmelodious score, or something tacky like The Room. 

I don't know about the ones mentioned here and by all means I mean no disrespect to any of the above-mentioned participants, but these statements people make in the media about their "favorite <insert subject>" almost always reeks of dishonesty and feels like they are heavily motivated by business or political agendas.

I think, such comments should not get overrated. These people get asked, think about it and pick one. The choice itself doesn't matter at all. The interesting part are the reasons they give for it. Is it some live event, some childhood first time occurence or appreciation by musical consideration? That is the interesting part.