Best epic & operatic blow-out track from the late 90s / early 2000s

Jay

Best epic & operatic blow-out track from the late 90s / early 2000s  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Best epic & operatic blow-out track from the late 90s / early 2000s

• One Winged Angel by Nobuo Uematsu (1997)
    • Liberi Fatali by Nobuo Uematsu (1999)
    • Duel of the Fates by John Williams (1999)
    • Neodämmerung by Don Davis (2003)
    • The End of all Things by Howard Shore (2003)
    • Battle for the Cure / Phoenix Rises by John Powell (2006)

I'm talking about the climactic cues that feature big, prominent vocals (bonus points if Latin), not just anything "epic" from this timeframe.

Unfamiliar with all the selections?  I got your embeds:

Spoiler

Let me know if I forgot any, but I'm looking for major ones, not any action cue that features some choir

My first time ever hearing that... it's a much slower-tempo piece than all the other options.  Not really the same thing, I'd say.  Maybe others would disagree!

I like all of them, but I voted for Davis' cue because it's in my opinion the "most epic" (epic-est?) of the bunch.

I know it's not from the early 2000s, but I think War from James Horner's Avatar could've been alongside the other tracks in the poll.

I couldn't decide whether to put Neodämmerung  or Navras in the poll, but I guess Navras is more of a pumped up remix of Neodämmerung for the end credits than an actual film cue....

Of the titles in the poll, "Duel of the Fates" wins easily.

A couple of others that might or might not fit your criteria (I made sure to have the vocal element and the timeframe, at least):

"Sanctuary!" (THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME)

"The Mummy Returns" (THE MUMMY RETURNS)

"Where?" (MISSION TO MARS)

"Roll Tide" (CRIMSON TIDE)

"Tarawa" (SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS)

"Arthur's Farewell" (FIRST KNIGHT)

"The Battle" (CUTTHROAT ISLAND)

"Stygia", "Cimmeria" & "Aquilonia" (they are sorta one climactic suite) (AGE OF CONAN)

"Eternal Alexander" (ALEXANDER)

....and many more.

Hmm...difficult choice. I feel the X-Men cue is probably the weakest of the lot. I also won't pick Howard Shore, largely due to the fact this specific track not representing the film scene at all (and I also prefer the Rarities version). Don Davis' track is a magnificent culmination of the ideas in the trilogy but I also find it often bit too much. One-Winged Angel is an iconic piece as well but it's more of a collection of different ideas. Plus the later arrangements are bit more interesting (FFVII symphony, Advent Children). I also love Liberi Fatali but as a far as composition goes, it is not as distinctive as Duel of the Fates.

Unsurprisingly, Williams wins. Shock, horror! :lol:

By the way, where's Sanctuary from Hunchback?

Karol

16 minutes ago, Thor said:

"Tarawa" (SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS)

"Arthur's Farewell" (FIRST KNIGHT)

These two are great indeed, even though SFoC is not an action film like the others on the list.

I'd also include the music Silvestri wrote for the final battle of The Mummy Returns:

I love the prequel scores in spite of Duel of the Fates and Battle of the Heroes.  Not my cuppsa.  Never heard the Final Fantasy tracks before now - first one sounds like standard video game music and the second one sounds okay.  Never been a big fan of Powell’s X-men.  Maybe need to give the OST a relisten someday.  Goldenthal’s FF track linked above (not in the poll is a good one - never saw the movie, but a very good score to listen to.

I voted for the LOTR track.  

I start to think that it would be an hard poll for me until I read Duel of the Fates. All the others tracks are really great but this one is absolutely perfect. Simply the best epic & operatic blow-out track from all time

I might also have add Battle of the Heroes to the pool which would have been the only contender in my eyes to Duel of the Fates