First Impressions: The SCORES of 2023

Jay

image.jpeg

What a great surprise! I only knew Amie Doherty from She-Hulk and the animated Spirit movie, and both had some nice stuff, but this is definitely my favorite work of her. It's beautiful, lyrical and tragic, with a great and authentic japanese flavour, that is very fitting for the (great!) show, and also makes for a really enjoyable listening experience. Some tracks rely perhaps a bit too much on exotic percussion and dark dissonance, and might not be as enjoyable, but that's only a minor quibble for what is a really strong score, in my opinion. If you want to know if you'll enjoy this I definitely recommend listening to the two suites for each of the main themes that perfectly summarise what the score has to offer!

Have to admit that I found JNH’s The Light We Cannot See as underwhelming as most others here. Definitely far too much music but then not sure it was interesting enough to bother cutting it down. Maybe if someone else has a whittle I’ll use that…

It did make me realise that almost every time a composer does one of those “I’m so excited to share my new score with you” promos that the results are decidedly underwhelming. It’s almost like a death nell for the score being any good. Kinda the opposite of what it might have been like in the 70s for example… “I wrote a fun little score for this space movie with goodies and baddies and laser swords. I hope you like it. It’ll definitely be a one off.”

Come on guys, All the Light is not that bad. There's some beautiful tracks in there and I've come to appreciate even the dark suspense thriller music more after I saw the show.

Perhaps the best way to appreciate the score is eliminating the suspense synth music from the album. I've come to the conclusion that JNH simply isn't that great with these kinds of scenes despite having scored numerous urban thrillers/crime dramas/etc throghout the decades. When he needs to score scenes like that he often resorts to gritty synth textures, creepy strings and the occasional horn of doom, which simply aren't that interesting to listen.

That said, I'm still thankful the album included these tracks, firstly because it's a more faithful representation of the score as a whole, and second because it gives people the option of curating their own albums instead of just giving half an hour of (what he considers) highlights that would surely make the unreleased material all the more appealing.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Come on guys, All the Light is not that bad. There's some beautiful tracks in there and I've come to appreciate even the dark suspense thriller music more after I saw the show.

Perhaps the best way to appreciate the score is eliminating the suspense synth music from the album. I've come to the conclusion that JNH simply isn't that great with these kinds of scenes despite having scored numerous urban thrillers/crime dramas/etc throghout the decades. When he needs to score scenes like that he often resorts to gritty synth textures, creepy strings and the occasional horn of doom, which simply aren't that interesting to listen.

That said, I'm still thankful the album included these tracks, firstly because it's a more faithful representation of the score as a whole, and second because it gives people the option of curating their own albums instead of just giving half an hour of (what he considers) highlights that would surely make the unreleased material all the more appealing.

Not only that it's not that bad but for me it's very good. I was also underwhelmed at my first listen because of the length and the dark suspense cues but after I made my playlist the score grew on me.  This is gorgeous, beautiful, emotional score with great themes. JNH is very good at this.

I agree with you that even if I don't like some cues I'm grateful for the lengthy release this way I can easily make my own playlist. 

Awhile back, I started a series of recommendations at Celluloid Tunes -- brief, one-paragraph reviews of new scores. Thought I'd share it here, for anyone interested:

Reviews-on-the-go # 1: https://celluloidtunes.no/reviews-on-the-go-1/ 

Covering WHO KILLED THE KLF? (Vincent Watts), TROPIC (Sebastian), L'UOMO CHE DISEGNÓ DIO (Giuliano Taviani & Carmelo Travia), ZODI ET TÉHU: FRÈRES DU DÈSERT (Mika), DER FUCHS (Aran Safaian).

Reviews-on-the-go # 2: https://celluloidtunes.no/reviews-on-the-go-2/ 

Covering TIN & TINA (Jocelyn Pook), BOY FROM HEAVEN (Krister Linder), L'ENVOL (Gabriel Yared), FIRE OF LOVE (Nicolas Godin), TOUCH OF CRUDE (Cliff Martinez), THE YOUTUBE EFFECT (Paul Haslinger), TETRIS (Lorne Balfe).

...and published today:

Reviews on-the-go # 3: https://celluloidtunes.no/reviews-on-the-go-3/ 

Covering EVERYBODY LOVES DIAMONDS (Ralf Hildenbeutel), CARMEN (Nicholas Britell), MAGNIFICAT (Nathaniel Méchaly), A THOUSAND AND ONE (Gary Gunn), LA CONTADORA DE PELÌCULAS (Fernando Velázquez), TRON: IDENTITY (Dan Le Sac).

42 minutes ago, Under-Terrestrial said:

First two tracks from Jerskin Fendrix's first score for Poor Things! The trailer music is indeed a sample of the score. Appears to be as strange as the movie. I like that we appear to really be Mickey-Mousing here :)

Sounds like something Picasso would've done had he written film music. 

I do have expectations for the film itself, being a Lanthimos production -- although he's not yet topped his DOGTOOTH from 2009. Such a unique filmmaker, who doesn't use a lot of music in his films, but when he does, it sounds weird like that. I just read that Thomas Newman is allegedly hired to do his next film. I wonder how far he can push Newman's boundaries, sound-wise. A surprising, but somehow also intriguing collaboration between two very unique voices.

8 hours ago, Thor said:

I wonder how far he can push Newman's boundaries

I'm curios myself. Anything, but the indian instruments, please. I'm so tired of Newman's constant use of the sitar. I used to love and buy everything Thomas Newman did, back in the 90s and 00s. But I haven't been excited for anything he wrote for a long time. I guess his Marigold Hotel and Victoria scores made me fall out of love with is music. I didn't like Finding Dory, nor Elemental - they are all OK, but they all have the same thomasnewmanisms that I've grown tired of after the umpth time I heard the same orchestrations sounding exactly alike. 

Personally, I absolutely adore MARIGOLD, VICTORIA and TOLKIEN, but yeah -- would be interesting to hear him push a bit; or at least transcribe his usual style to something a little different. Lanthimos might be the person to do it.

I just rewatched TOLKIEN and I have to correct myself: I like the score a lot. I think I didn’t remember it well and I thought I didn’t like it, but I really do. In fact I now think it’s one of his best scores. And I also enjoyed the film a lot more than the first time. Maybe the fact that yesterday I watched SHADOWLANDS about C. S. Lewis also helped. Anyway, Thomas Newman can be very good, he has his own style that he often recycles, but he always has a couple of excellent cues that more than make up for the occasional familiar boring stuff.

Big new score weekend!

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/next-goal-wins-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/1715022766

I remember reading there might've been two cues tops in this movie, but it sounds like there's more! I'm not sold on this movie on account of its meh buzz. It sounds like Giacchino's taking a breezy "vaguely ethnic" percussion route...

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/saltburn-original-motion-picture-score/1716467942

Anthony Willis got my attention with "Promising Young Woman", and this score seems sonically diverse! A more parodic tone here than the film's trailer led me to believe, at least up front.

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/dream-scenario-original-motion-picture-score/1713748399

I'm most curious about this score. There are shades of Jon Brion's Charlie Kaufman soundscape here (doesn't seem surprising given the movie's Kaufman-esque premise and Pallett's contributions to Spike Jonze's directorial work) with a dash of Randy Newman!

8 hours ago, Thor said:

1200x1200bf-60.jpg

So cute! She sounds pretty much like her father Thomas in this debut score. I like it.

Wow, based on this, Thomas better hope she puts her fee up... otherwise she'll be getting all of his work!

On 17/11/2023 at 9:17 AM, Thor said:

1200x1200bf-60.jpg

So cute! She sounds pretty much like her father Thomas in this debut score. I like it.

I always try to be positive and open-minded, but feels like she took over his ProTools stems and… voilà! I'm not a big Newman fan, TBH, but this felt quite off to me, unfortunately :(

Next Goal Wins (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Album by Michael  Giacchino - Apple Music

Call me tired, exhausted, bored, angry, petty, I don't know… maybe I was not in the right mood, but this score flew over my head. Felt nothing. Remembered nothing.

What's wrong me with???

Meh, Waititi is by far Gia's worst partnership. Every score from him for a Waititi movie turned out to be incredibly bland and insipid. He should've stuck with Mark Mothersbaugh or hired some New Zealand composer.

Anyway, I listened to a few 2023 scores over the last few days:

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes

JNH's least interesting HG score by a long shot. Almost every good moment comes from reprises of old themes and cues, while the rest of the score is just subdued suspense music or chaotic (not in a good way) action cues.

Spiderman: Across the Spiderverse (FYC)

It's not exactly the kind of music I like to listen but it's undoubtedly well composed. Think Henry Jackman's The Winter Soldier but with a more creative orchestral writing and less adherence to Remote Control tropes. 

The Marvels

A surprise to be sure, but a welcomed one. It's very energic and never really boring, with some impressive parts for choir. But whenever I decide to put this album again I'll skip the musical parts because they're just too stupid.

15 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

So just because you're not a fan of one score, it's all because of film music in 2023?

Sure, why not

Agree with this. Every year has highs and lows… I probably just went through a few lows in a row.

19 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

So just because you're not a fan of one score, it's all because of film music in 2023?

Sure, why not

No. Because I am not a fan of almost every new score that I checked out. It is for me 90% waste of time. But I know, that is just my bad taste. I like John Williams. 

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes

Nah, it's okay. It's got some interesting material, mostly around the piano work and the Fantastic Beasts like stuff but needs a pruning.

Spiderman: Across the Spiderverse (FYC)

Have a tough time listening to Pemberton, to me he sounds like> ChatCPT how to compose funky music

His work on The Dark Crystal and the ending of the first Spiderverse film is great. Convince me otherwise.

The Marvels

Yeah, totally loved Karpman's stuff here. Innovative and fresh, the main thematic stuff is not amazing but I guess that is Feige.

Agree! I'm always looking forward to hear what he has done for each different project. It doesn't always works as well, but for example his Spider-Verse scores are great in that aspect, and I also really like his Dark Crystal and King Arthur scores!

I thought it was remarkable how Pemberton was able to turn Into The Spider-Verse into the score for Across The Spider-Verse.

Into was a bit chaotic, overly busy and lacked a bit of a hook to me.

In Across he fleshed out his ideas, added a more orchestral touch to the score + added a plethora of incredible and recognizable themes and wraved them together etc. It's no small feat and to me it's the best score of the year (let's see if that gets changed this last month)

So for the last few years, halfway through November I always go back through the scores of the year and really start working on my final list.

The first half of the year was pretty set, so I started halfway through June. And there were actually quite a lot that I kept but not "really" listened to. So I'll wanted to post some new impressions of scores in the coming weeks.

First off

This went a bit over my head when it released. I really like the film, but while watching only 2 cues really made itself know.

This is also party true for the album.

I think the first 4 and the last 5 cues on the album are really strong. It's just that the cues inbetween don't add much. There are some brass and drums, bubbly electronics but that's really it.

The other 9 cues standout either because of their beauty (like Nimona's Theme & Please Come Back) or their sheer fun (The Night To Knight & Gloreth's Theme).

So, even though a bit hit and miss, still really enjoyable

1700683624044.jpg

I waited to listen to this until I saw the film.

I have to say, I'm very impressed with the end result (this is about the music, film will be another post). The songs are actually pretty good. I could see people not liking them, but I thought they were pretty great.

Metzger's score is actually quite sophisticated. You can really hear that he is a very strong orchestrator. The whole ensemble gets moments to shine. There are multiple themes running through the score, but I think that without seeing the film they could go unnoticed.

The most clever thing Metzger does is that he takes a few notes of "When You Wish Upon A Star" and uses it to build his main theme. I thought it was really well done.

I also really enjoyed hearing the song melodies in the score. In the olden days and the Menken eras of Disney, this used to be the norm. But as much I love the scores to Frozen, Encanto & Moana this always missed a bit. So it was nice to hear.

I hope Metzger gets some more opportunities as a composer, because he's very good. Some might write off this score as too Mickey-Mousey at times, but I feel it's actually pretty sophisticated. Really enjoyed it.

Wish-Soundtrack-Cover-1.jpg

This is a wonderful album!

Great arrangements and performance. This is one of, if not my favorite score by Armstrong. It has, in my opinion, some of his best themes and they really get a chance to shine here!

1701206104130.jpg

Michael Giacchino - Next Goal Wins (OST Album)

This is alright - I appreciated Michael branching out into new styles, but most of the time this album didn't really do much for me.

The suite track was a nice individual piece, but the album as a whole felt more like a collection of different ideas than a narrative of any kind.

Michael Giacchino - Society of Snow (FYC Album)

Now this, on the other hand, I liked it a lot!  Enjoyed the vibe the whole time, and the Lost-ish theme and passages.  The FYC album doesn't seem to have all of that suite that was released a couple months ago, so i really can't wait to hear the full OST album now!

John Powell - Migration (FYC Album, which I guess is the same as the OST album without 2 songs)

And then this is just awesome!  SO much fun, good flow, with fun surprised like sitar and a choir of ducks.  I've listened to it twice and enjoyed it even more the second time!  I hope this gets a physical CD release.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Michael Giacchino - Society of Snow (FYC Album)

Now this, on the other hand, I liked it a lot!  Enjoyed the vibe the whole time, and the Lost-ish theme and passages.  The FYC album doesn't seem to have all of that suite that was released a couple months ago, so i really can't wait to hear the full OST album now!

I believe the OST is being released this friday! I'm really excited to listen to it!

Edit: hahah. I posted this and then this was released.

1. Leaving Home (1:23)
2. Crash (1:04)
3. Barren (1:33)
4. Alien World (2:56)
5. Flashback (1:03)
6. First Scout (1:32)
7. Susy Passes (8:18)
8. News Radio (0:58)
9. What Do I Become (1:14)
10. The Second Expedition (4:43)
11. Trapped (0:44)
12. Today Is My Birthday (1:20)
13. What’s the Limit (2:31)
14. I See the Sky (2:01)
15. A Plan to Cross the Mountains (3:10)
16. Arturo’s Death (0:55)
17. Setting Out (1:07)
18. Heading Back (2:03)
19. Take Home the Love (1:13)
20. Nando Returns (5:02)
21. Radio Failure (0:50)
22. Sleeping Bag (0:53)
23. Numa Accepts His Place (5:30)
24. Andes Ascent (4:16)
25. Onward (3:16)
26. Over the River (1:09)
27. Found (6:22)
28. Home (4:06)

I'm a sucker for X-Mas scores. Last year there was the fantastic Violent Night by Dominic Lewis.

This is a bit of a mix between that and Beck's score for Hawkeye.

There are lot's of carols and christmas songs used and it has a bit of a hip-hop influence in a few tracks.

If you cut the 2 songs, you're left with just over 40 minutes of really fun music in the christmas spirit! Lennertz is a great composer and ever since Lost In Space I've been hoping he'd get a bit blockbuster film. Until that happens, scores like this will do.

1701339015711.jpg

I am listening to Laura Karpman's The Marvels quite a bit. To be honest, this is a pretty good score. I am not crazy about the main theme, the melody being just a placeholder superhero theme number 228, but its treatment within the score is quite strong. The rest of the material, especially when it veers into a less conventional territory, impressed me too. The Kree villain theme is really good. It's nice to have some colour and texture in a film like this and it's definitely among the better MCU scores. The album represents the score well and never outstays its welcome.

Karol

Reviews on-the-go # 4: https://celluloidtunes.no/reviews-on-the-go-4/

Covering RAIN DOGS (Alex Baranowski), THE LAST KINGDOM: DESTINY IS ALL (John Lunn, Eivør & Danny Saul), KILLER COASTER (Rob), SIMPLE COMME SYLVAIN (Forever Pavot), RUSTIN (Branford Marsalis), SPLIT (Maude Geffray)

Society of the Snow - It was ok. It sounded very appropriate for the type of film. But nothing stands out.

The Boy and the Heron - I really like this one. Hisaishi has a very soothing voice. 

Joe Hisaishi - The Boy and the Heron

This was lovely and nice.  It gets off to a slow start, but picks up maybe a third of the way through. I won't listen again until I've seen the movie

Michael Giacchino - The Society of the Snow (OST Album)

Oh, I loved this.  One of my favorite Giacchinos in a while.  Just a nice buildup to an extremely rewarding finale.  REALLY want to see the movie now!

marcelo-zarvos-and-michel-legrand-may-de

The new Todd Haynes flick. When I heard that they used Legrand's THE GO BETWEEN (one of my favourite scores of his) in the trailer, I didn't expect it to be so present in the score proper as well. Either way, great work by Zarvos navigating skillfully between the late composer's cues, and - I think - rearranging them too.

Still: A Michael J Fox Movie - It's nice but nothing special that'd make me want to relisten to it.

Society of the Snow - I didn't find much to attach to and enjoy in this one, it mostly just drones on until finally doing something in the end.

Napoleon - Now this one I loved! A fun assembly of interesting sounds.

The best scores of 2023 according to... well, some dude on the MMUK Facebook group whose name I forgot:

https://onthescore.com/the-best-scores-of-2023/

Some of them I agree, other I don't, but most (about 90% of them :P) I haven't heard... Will do that once I get tired of Hook, Zorro and Sneakers.

12 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The best scores of 2023 according to... well, some dude on the MMUK Facebook group whose name I forgot:

https://onthescore.com/the-best-scores-of-2023/

Some of them I agree, other I don't, but most (about 90% of them :P) I haven't heard... Will do that once I get tired of Hook, Zorro and Sneakers.

It's Daniel Schweiger's list. I've heard most of that stuff, but didn't find much to latch on to myself, to be honest. I also think it's way too early to do these lists now, when December has just started. However, there are some of those titles I also liked, of course: THE CREATOR, elements of GODZILLA: MINUS ONE, elements of THE PEASANTS, elements of SALTBURN, elements of BARBIE (but I hated the film so much, I deleted the entire thing from my digital collection), elements of INDY 5....

But my own list would look very different.