General movie chitchat

Jay

5 hours ago, A24 said:

And the direction. 

I don't see AI just as a copy of something but as a machine that doesn't have a soul. Have you ever seen AI generated images of nature? Of women (babes)? Well, I get the same feeling when I watch a Michael Bay movie. I see a lot of technical marvel but no soul. I don't connect with the human behind the movie. I see 'chaos' instead of 'vision'.

Of course, AI is still early stages. I was against GCI as well, it wasn't the same as seeing a miniature model, but today my resistance towards digital FX is low. Who knows, maybe we just stop caring after a while.

it's not the same. CGI is very complicated and it has an intention behind it. but it doesn't stop there, since CGI provides us of examples of things generative programs can't do at all (like the 3D objects themselves). it provides us of examples of tools people actually like to use because they give you control, step by step. and it gives us examples of programs that make sense, such as in the case of some kind of physical simulations, another thing generative programs can't do.

what's more, those simulations don't need an army of slaves tagging manually millions of pictures because "ai" is kind of a lie but CGI programs are not lol.

ultimately, people like technique, and what makes that are processes. generative "ai" are wishful thinking abour averting technical processes. the criticism of "soul" may not make sense at all, but people perceive this.

22 minutes ago, Brónach said:

it's not the same. CGI is very complicated and it has an intention behind it. but it doesn't stop there, since CGI provides us of examples of things generative programs can't do at all. it provides us of examples of tools people actually like to use because they give you control, step by step. and it gives us examples of programs that make sense, such as in the case of some kind of physical simulations, another thing generative programs can't do.

what's more, those simulations don't need an army of slaves tagging manually millions of pictures because "ai" is kind of a lie but CGI programs are not lol.

ultimately, people like technique, and what makes that are processes. generative "ai" are wishful thinking abour averting technical processes. the criticism of "soul" may not make sense at all, but people perceive this.

Whether they are the same or not doesn't matter. It's the feeling of soullessness I get when I see an AI generated image. Or are you disagreeing with that too? 

5 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Tony Shaloub makes everything better.

Here he is improving the Boston Pops!

IMG_2972.jpeg

"Warners Reverses Course in ‘Coyote vs. Acme’ Fight"

In a surprising about-face, Warner Bros. executives will allow the filmmakers of Coyote vs. Acme, a $70 million live action/CGI hybrid Looney Tunes film, to shop the movie to other potential distributors.

https://t.co/320wiyaZGt?s=33

Well, it turns out my first 3 seasons of Mad Men on Blu-ray are (or have become) unreadable but luckily because of Prime I'm still able to rewatch those three seasons. What about that, Nolan!

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Mad Men is overrated anyway.

It's one of the best shows ever but yeah it isn't for kids. 

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

How's that, Alex? Pray, tell.

No idea. I didn't even play S1 or S2 because I watched those on superior DVD. It's too late now to return them. I tried 3 different Blu-ray players. 

59 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

Like for real though, it’s $5 on eBay, just buy another one. They can take my discs from my cold dead hands. 

Quality of Mad Men on Prime is great. I don't want to buy them again only to find out they won't play either. 

Well, yes, I could write to whoever distributes the Mad Men Blu-rays in Belgium. Maybe they will send me new ones or they could at least offer me an explanation as to why they are unreadable.

But after I watched all the seasons on Prime (it's actually more convenient that way than watching them from discs) there's really no need for me to own the Blu-rays anymore. I don't expect to watch the show for a third time. 

36 minutes ago, A24 said:

It's one of the best shows ever but yeah it isn't for kids. 

Wow, that was gratuitous. But maybe you're correct and when I get to my 80s I'll be able to appreciate it more, since the only reason for me not liking as much as other people is due to my childlike immaturity.

MAD MEN is one of those pesky holes in my film and TV viewing history where I'm very much out of the loop. I was never really that attracted to the premise -- the advertising business in the 60s (even though I'm well aware it concerns other issues beyond that), so I never started it. BUT...I've always enjoyed the MAD MEN: ON THE ROCKS soundtrack album by David Carbonara as its own thing, so that's something, I suppose.

Mad Men was the first TV show I saw in which across multiple episodes the events and destinies of the characters were just terrible I as a viewer you thought, why am I doing this to me and watch this horrible stuff and don't look at something that makes me happy?

But after all it was really worth the time watching it. And they really had a couple of great one liners.

One I adapted happily for conversations with my kids. :D 

When they said, "Daddy, I am bored", I used to respond "Only boring people are bored." 

I cannot recommend Man Men enough. It certainly is a show that has a lot of facets to it, but it might not be obvious from a thumbnail or a synopsis. Besides being a semi-historical account of the birth of modern marketing, it’s such an interesting premise and time period. It might seem as if all they do is smoke and drink and fuck but there is intrigue abound. And the clothes are amazing (and I’m not talking about the women’s fashion, I would kill for those suits that the men wear).

But the handsome devil backed "The Flash", which became the worst box office flop in superhero movie history...

Why not release Batgirl at this point. Who knows, it might become a sleeper hit thanks to the curiosity the cancellation stirred up.

Ah yes, the courage to do absolutely nothing and make millions of dollars, like all studio executives before him. Except he’s doing less than nothing, taking other peoples’ hard work and…not releasing it...and still, somehow, making millions of dollars. Very courage. Much brave.