Indiana Jones is better than everything

Jay

2 hours ago, JWilliamsFan1999 said:

The Score in order as we hear it in the film, but definitely an extended version of some the action music and the Raiders March and Marion's Theme.

I have noticed that in the film, 10m4 En Bateau (<-the original cue title for Marion's Theme) holds a bit longer on the ending of the Marion's Theme bit before the bit at the end with the Ark burning through the crate.  I really should get around to incorporating that into my fanedit, assuming it really was recorded that way.

EDIT: Actually...  it just occurs to me that that might actually be just a film edit, since the scene still kinda works with the DCC version as-is, even with the big orchestral climax over Indy falling asleep.

2 hours ago, JWilliamsFan1999 said:

This exists??? An unedited version of Desert Chase???? Where can I find this?

Don't you already have the 1995 DCC?  The unedited Desert Chase on that album is 8:17 in length, and the cut-down album version is ~7:30.

This is the 1981 OST version as heard on the 2008 Concord album, with several very obvious hard-cuts throughout:

Additionally, Desert Chase is made up of three cues: 9m1 Indy In Pursuit (0:00), 9m1A Truck Chase (2:22), and 9m1B Indy's Feats (5:04).  When Indy's Feats begins at 5:04, if you listen closely you can tell it's is a different take than the one used on the DCC album.  (The DCC, as it happens, uses the correct film take)

There's a cluster of microedits to this take of Indy's Feats from 5:20 through 5:37 on the OST/Concord version, and so far that's the only way this take has ever been made available, since the unedited version on the DCC album (rightly) uses the Film Take instead, which is why one of my hopes for an eventual perfect expansion is for this particular take of Indy's Feats to be presented completely uncut in the alternates section.

The DCC/Film Take:

And my take on what the Album Take would probably sound like if it weren't edited:

15 hours ago, Andy said:

Man that DCC… for those who weren’t around back then… after going so long with the OST, when the dam burst with the 4CD Star Wars Anthology and then this DCC of Raiders… it was indescribably awesome.  Getting all.those. iconic. unreleased.cues made the hairs on the neck stand up.  And hearing the complete unedited Desert Chase was just amazing.  The mix leans heavy on the tubas in that track… I hope Matessino preserves that one day, because it was so much more wonderfully pronounced than on the OST mastering. 

These days we all want complete, with alternates, and Matessino mastering.  But it cannot be understated what a gift that was to the devoted back then. 

This was when I had just discovered Film Score Monthly and whatever form the message board took back then. Wasn't this announced a long time (actually probably a few months) before it was actually released? Looking back, I was an insufferable jerk to quite a few music shop attendants, insisting that they should a) have it and b) know what this was. (Probably made worse by the fact that I had recently worked at a music store -- just a little too late to call them "record stores".)

Yeah, it's hard to think that even as late as 1995 "expanded releases" were still very rare.

I had the Japanese disc of Raiders so I wasn't dying for music like "The Map Room: Dawn". (IIRC this was after I moved one time too many to keep my LPs. Who needs THOSE anymore?)

I think the music I was most looking forward to was Journey to Nepal. And probably the Main Titles. Gee, that little 1981 LP was pretty definitive all on it's own, wasn't it?

4 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I think the music I was most looking forward to was Journey to Nepal. And probably the Main Titles.

When I got home, after buying the DCC, the first thing that I listened to, was SOUTH AMERICA 1936 :)

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

When I got home, after buying the DCC, the first thing that I listened to, was SOUTH AMERICA 1936 :)

Isn't that the first track? 🤣

18 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Can't argue with this. It's the same kind of moment as when Superman catches the helicopter. It's the main theme only MORE.

i agree, however, the statement of indy + short round is magic

8 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

The coda! Can we all agree that the coda is wonderful? JW did Raiders and 1941 with these quiet little codas. And I love them both. Then he apparently decided that that was enough of that.

When I got Raiders I had a really crappy record player (the real one for grown ups was being repaired). So I couldn't really hear the snare drums before the final note. So it was like this quiet little statement of the march then silence and then this orchestral sigh. Then I got to hear it on a decent sound system (seriously I think I was playing it on a Fisher Price gramophone) and it blew my mind.

Agreed. I love the coda. As I’ve said before, I think it works best after the short version of the Raider’s March at the start of the DCC album as it kinda leads you into the score proper. At the end of the end credits it feels tagged on after the very definitive five notes that usually conclude the march. 

• 3 months later...

Just recently, I finally got around to playing Fate of Atlantis and Infernal Machine.  A long time ago I'd started playing both of these games, but never finished them.  Now, after my brother said he wanted to watch me play them, I started both games over again (starting with Fate of Atlantis, of course) and played them all the way through to the end of Infernal Machine.

I picked the Team path in Fate of Atlantis, both in my earlier abandoned attempt and in this more recent run, because I assumed at the time that it was the "default"/"canon" path.

When I first tried to play Infernal Machine, I hadn't played Fate of Atlantis yet...  I now consider this one of my biggest mistakes regarding this game.  Infernal Machine is dripping with Fate of Atlantis' vibe, but at the time, my only frame of reference for Indy gaming was Emperor's Tomb, so I couldn't really "get into" Infernal Machine from that angle.  Now, though, after playing Fate of Atlantis, everything suddenly started to click, I actually got into the gameplay and story of Infernal Machine, and I was finally able to not only finish the game all the way through...

...but also finish this project that I started back then:

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Andy said:

IMG_2241.jpeg

New Bouzerau doc on Disney+. Anyone watched it yet?  I’m a little miffed that it’s not in the DoD Blu Ray. 

It was decent! Lots of footage and anecdotes us fans would have already seen and known about.  I really enjoyed the clips of all the roles Ford did earlier in his career.

After the indignity of Dial of Destiny, why not this?

image.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

There's some new Indiana Jones music coming out today! Well... Kinda.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2024/01/04/timeless-heroes-indiana-jones-and-harrison-ford-soundtrack-to-be-released/

It'll be interesting to see how much of a homage to Williams's scores the composer will pay.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

There's some new Indiana Jones music coming out today! Well... Kinda.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2024/01/04/timeless-heroes-indiana-jones-and-harrison-ford-soundtrack-to-be-released/

It'll be interesting to see how much of a homage to Williams's scores the composer will pay.

Not much it seems:

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Andy said:

My kid is studying abroad in Madrid.  I gave her the task of locating the store that sells these and obtaining one for her Old Man.

'Helena Shaw and the Search for the Caganer'!

Oh, and Quartet Records is located in Madrid—so maybe she can pick up your next order and save you that high shipping cost!

No way!  I’d have her clean out the Quartet store if I thought her luggage could be crammed without cracked jewel cases!

1 hour ago, Andy said:

No way!  I’d have her clean out the Quartet store if I thought her luggage could be crammed without cracked jewel cases!

Alas, cracked jewel cases are just a fact of life... Well, it has been for me when ordering from LLL.

10 hours ago, Andy said:

Have her put the CDs in-between her smalls, to protect the cases.

I've been wondering: If there were proper LLL or Intrada releases of the Indy scores, would 2-CD sets of each one be enough, or does any of them warrant more discs? In case of a box set I've been thinking of Harry Potter, where the first movie got a 3-CD set. Would something like that be necessary for Indy?

5 minutes ago, Laserschwert said:

I've been wondering: If there were proper LLL or Intrada releases of the Indy scores, would 2-CD sets of each one be enough, or does any of them warrant more discs? In case of a box set I've been thinking of Harry Potter, where the first movie got a 3-CD set. Would something like that be necessary for Indy?

@BrotherSoundFigured out this out somewhere, can't remember which thread it was in.

I can't find a physical geographic location for Quartet in Madrid.  Does anyone know if they have a storefront, warehouse, or anything worth getting a photo of?

57 minutes ago, Andy said:

I can't find a physical geographic location for Quartet in Madrid.  Does anyone know if they have a storefront, warehouse, or anything worth getting a photo of?

I don't think they have an actual walk-in store. Probably a nondescript warehouse with a simple "Quartet Records" sign over the front door.

10 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Can the source music for all five films fit on a single CD?

The JW-composed source music could fit onto 2-disc sets alongside the rest of the score for Temple of Doom, The Last Crusade, and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and I don’t believe there is any for Raiders or Dial of Destiny.

3 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

The JW-composed source music could fit onto 2-disc sets alongside the rest of the score for Temple of Doom, The Last Crusade, and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and I don’t believe there is any for Raiders or Dial of Destiny.

I'll be honest, I know JW didn't compose or record it, but I can't see the arabic digging song from Raiders getting released any other way than on a Matessino Raiders expansion.

The 4 songs heard in Raiders during the Cairo sequence were found by @Manakin Skywalker. He almost found the opening vocals from TLC, but someone sampled them in a song so when you search for the vocals thats what the search results yielded, sadly.