An Evening with John Williams and Yo-Yo Ma: One Night Only at Carnegie Hall (February 22, 2024)

rpvee

6 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Are you talking about the $1000 tickets to the Cocktail Party with Parquet Seating?

Yeah, insane...but wouldn't it be fun to dress up and mingle at the party with the upper crust of New York. 😄

No, some rear parquet tickets are available for $ 500.

Can you post a link, Guillaume?

Here's where I've been checking, and all they have is cocktail and dinner packages left:

https://www.carnegiehall.org/Support/Special-Events/Williams-and-Ma-2024

10 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Can you post a link, Guillaume?

Here's where I've been checking, and all they have is cocktail and dinner packages left:

https://www.carnegiehall.org/Support/Special-Events/Williams-and-Ma-2024

It was yesterday on the carnegiehall.org official website but when I checked this morning, this tickets were no longer available... 

I hope that is the case too, I DESPERATELY want to see the two of them do this live. I saw Yo Yo do Heartwood a few years back, which was awesome, but can't remember who the conductor was.

3 hours ago, Tom said:

I remain convinced that Williams is going to premiere his new Yo Yo piece at these concerts.  But, as always, I am wrong a lot.  

what new yo yo piece? Thought we had only heard about a piano concerto....

1 hour ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

There's a mention here, and I think I recall at least one other article. And he's working on at least one more piece/project accoridng to Mike Matessino in the recent podcast about Amistad and The Lost World expansions.  I'm as certain as I can be without actually knowing anything that the new cello work will be premiered at these concerts... I'm dying to see the setlist.

22 hours ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

I hope that is the case too, I DESPERATELY want to see the two of them do this live. I saw Yo Yo do Heartwood a few years back, which was awesome, but can't remember who the conductor was.

Was it at Tanglewood? Then the conductor was Eric Stern.

1 hour ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Was it at Tanglewood? Then the conductor was Eric Stern.

Most likely, since I only remember that being played that time in the last ten years at least, and I believe it was 2018 (that was a great summer of music at Tanglewood). I think actually he might have played one of the Haydn concertos, Heartwood, and Pickin.

17 hours ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

Most likely, since I only remember that being played that time in the last ten years at least, and I believe it was 2018 (that was a great summer of music at Tanglewood). I think actually he might have played one of the Haydn concertos, Heartwood, and Pickin.

Actually, it was the other Stern, Michael. Ma played indeed Haydn's 1st Cello Concerto, along with Williams' Heartwood. The encores were Rosewood and Pickin, from the three solo pieces.

The program also included Bernstein's On the Waterfront and ended with Respighi's Pines of Rome. What a line up...

On 21/09/2023 at 2:25 AM, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

Here's the thread for it: https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/35256-williams-composing-new-piece-for-yo-yo-ma/

You posted in the thread!

A handy reference to keep in mind is this thread; I always keep the main post completely updated with all info about upcoming JW works and concerts.

9 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Actually, it was the other Stern, Michael. Ma played indeed Haydn's 1st Cello Concerto, along with Williams' Heartwood. The encores were Rosewood and Pickin, from the three solo pieces.

The program also included Bernstein's On the Waterfront and ended with Respighi's Pines of Rome. What a line up...

Yeah, it was a really good show actually.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Here's the thread for it: https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/35256-williams-composing-new-piece-for-yo-yo-ma/

You posted in the thread!

A handy reference to keep in mind is this thread; I always keep the main post completely updated with all info about upcoming JW works and concerts.

ha! sorry, must be senility setting in. But thanks!

Is it worth buying tickets from resellers this early? I desperately want to go as I had no idea he ever did tours like this, it's just something I never thought about looking into.

44 minutes ago, Kurt said:

Is it worth buying tickets from resellers this early? I desperately want to go as I had no idea he ever did tours like this, it's just something I never thought about looking into.

You might be the only one who can answer that.

If you want to be certain not to miss out, then secure a ticket now... Or like me, play the waiting game and hope cheaper balcony tickets become available from the Carnegie Hall box office.

It's still 5 months away, so I'm not panicking...yet.

• 1 month later...

Are there any tickets available? I got the invitation in the mail, but the single tickets start for $1,000 (which, technically I could afford, but I’d rather send under $1,000 total). Otherwise, anybody not able to go willing to sell two tickets? Wondering.

I've been pretty much checking daily for cheaper tickets but to no avail. I could probably afford to splurge on the $1000 ticket, but would rather not!

Thanks Guillaume for the heads up! I hope Yo-Yo is sitting to the left of Williams, because I'm well to the left.

48 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Thanks Guillaume for the heads up! I hope Yo-Yo is sitting to the left of Williams, because I'm well to the left.

I hope so, I will be on the left too, dress circle level first row.

Nice. I'm in Row F. It'll be my first time at Carnegie Hall, so I'm looking forward to that too.

• 1 month later...

Seeing Williams perform with Ma will be special, and if he favours us with an encore (or three, like at Film Night), that'll just be the cherry on top. If so, I hope to hear Yoda's Theme this time.

11 hours ago, DangerMotif said:

Scherzo for motorcycle is great but idk why it’s has to be played at every JW concert now.

It's also a pretty Indiana Jones-heavy program. Not that I mind really, but variety is nice.

• 2 weeks later...

If Williams does a couple of encores, I wonder if Ma will join him, and perhaps perform Schindler's List—or if I can dream, Seven Years in Tibet.

11 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

If Williams does a couple of encores, I wonder if Ma will join him, and perhaps perform Schindler's List—or if I can dream, Seven Years in Tibet.

Or some new arrangements?

3 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Or some new arrangements?

Anything would be welcome. But in Williams' case, when a guest soloist is invited, does s/he customarily come out to join him for the encore(s)?

On 22/12/2023 at 12:15 AM, DangerMotif said:

Scherzo for motorcycle is great but idk why it’s has to be played at every JW concert now.

But this version is cadenza-free.

And now for the Freudian joke of the day: I wonder if Williams fascination with Ma and Mutter is not some sort of Oedipus thing.  

1 hour ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Anything would be welcome. But in Williams' case, when a guest soloist is invited, does s/he customarily come out to join him for the encore(s)?

ASM came out for encores at the end of the concert in Vienna. Alternatively, it's not uncommon for the soloist to have encores before the interval (if their part of the regular programme is only in the first half).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Welp, Carnegie now tells me that concert only tickets have sold out. :(:crymore:

Not sure how that could’ve happened — I’ve been checking the website virtually every day!

18 hours ago, Will said:

Welp, Carnegie now tells me that concert only tickets have sold out. :(:crymore:

Not sure how that could’ve happened — I’ve been checking the website virtually every day!

I'm sorry to hear that. Yeah, when some did become available they disappeared pretty quickly, so it came down to checking daily and at just the right time.

I hope you can get a decently priced ticket on a resale site. As the date gets closer, you should be able to negotiate the price.

15 minutes ago, Will said:

I got one!!! It's high up in the balcony and has a somewhat obstructed view, but just grateful to be going.

Great!

Never mind where you're sitting, you'll be there to see the Maestro in his native New York at a historic venue. It's all good. 👍

We might get to do some people watching, too. Steven Spielberg and Mr. and Mrs. George Lucas are co-chairs of the event, so keep your eyes open!

On 2/2/2024 at 8:31 PM, Will said:

I’d check again asap

Yep, fortunately I was later able to snag one!

By the way, there appear to be a few (rather pricey -- $500) tickets on sale right now on the official website. Just FYI in case anyone is still looking.

For anyone searching for tickets, a bunch have been added as of this morning, on the lower levels.

Dozens of floor seats are currently available (towards the back and off to the side). They’re all $509. Still can’t get over the insane prices for this and the Philly show vs. previous years.

Super Bowl tickets this year, at the low end, are $6500.  $509 is a bargain.  You get to see John Williams, and, just as importantly, you don't have to pretend that watching grown men tackle each other for 3 hours makes any rational sense.