Which new theme in Dial of Destiny are you most anxious to hear?

Cerebral Cortex

Which new theme/music in Indy 5 are you most anxious to hear?   

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which new theme/piece of music in Indy 5 are you most anxious to hear in the score proper?

• Helena's Theme
    • Voller's Theme/Nazi Villain Material
    • The Dial of Destiny Theme
    • New action material
    • Specifically the music for the flashback sequence
    • New uses of the Raiders March
    • Other

Which new theme or musical idea are you most anxious to hear in the upcoming Dial of Destiny score from Williams? We already have a solid idea of what Helena's theme will sound like, but as usual you can expect what we've heard so far to just be the tip of the iceberg in terms of the variations and permutations Williams will no doubt put it through in the film proper. There is the new villain, Voller, who may or may not get a theme or may be structured into general Nazi thematic material which, likewise, may be old or new. The titular dial of destiny will no doubt get a theme. And of course, there are numerous other aspects to the score to get excited about. Which part has you most excited?

Allow me a moment for a short soapbox speech.  I have been a fan of Williams since the 80s.  Most of us here have been fans first unconsciously and then consciously our whole lives.  Given Williams's initial comments about retirement, his commitment only to do the themes for DoD, his age, etc., I think this may very well be his last film.  If nothing else, it is likely his last film with many themes and wall-to-wall scoring.

So, embrace threads like these.  Speculate and wonder away because this is it--the last time we can do so individually and collectively as fans of Williams.  

Oh man this is a tough one. Since no one else mentioned it, I’m looking forward to seeing and hearing the villains demise. One reoccurring theme in all 4 soon to be 5 (hopefully and probably) is Indy never takes out the head villain, they all die at their own hands. My favorite cue is The Broken Bridge, since Doom is my favorite in every category, but The Miracle of the Ark is a close second. And each film is different in its own way, so they’re all unique. Plus, theres a 7 foot tall giant trying to take Indy out as well, and I can’t wait to see and hear how he’s taken out.

One of my favorite brief musical moments of the franchise is when the heavenly ark music instantly transforms to terror with the death angels.  I think I am looking forward to the Dial theme (assuming there is one), but little moments like that are just as fun.  

4 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

"Dogs!"

Surely the creepy crawly will be whatever Indy finds underwater, right? Williams trying to score something for eels? Eels are like the snakes of the ocean, right? It's like a full circle moment or something, I dunno...

4 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Surely the creepy crawly will be whatever Indy finds underwater, right? Williams trying to score something for eels? Eels are like the snakes of the ocean, right? It's like a full circle moment or something, I dunno...

oh no it's going to be cute again like random pet store snakes and lizards from anywhere in the world (i know it was shot like a b movie but i try not to think about animal mistreatment in that set) or the rat plushies

Mangold's comments that Williams initially agreed only to do write the themes for DoD and have others do the scoring proper.  It tells me that Williams is slowing down.  

This was an easy one - a new DoD theme. What I've heard of Helena's theme didn't really do anything for me and while I didn't like the Skull theme, his themes for the grail and the ark are such classics that I look forward to what he's come up with for this one.

I'm looking forward to getting to know Helena's Theme through the various quotes of it we're sure to get. I'm another one who hasn't totally clicked with this piece yet, and expect that'll change. And... well everything else as well. Music for Nazis - did I just type that? And the McGuffin thingy. Travel music, music that conveys exotic locations etc. 

Every time I try to recall what Helena's theme sounds like, my mind instead plays Anakin's theme from TPM. :pat:

It is a pretty theme, but it wasn't very memorable to me. But I hope to like it more once I hear it in context, as well as its variations.

On 27/04/2023 at 4:56 PM, Tom said:

Mangold's comments that Williams initially agreed only to do write the themes for DoD and have others do the scoring proper.  It tells me that Williams is slowing down.  

Well, he did say he was going to retire...

I also wouldn't ignore the possibility that Williams might have been a bit reluctant to do a huge film like Indy 5 after such a seemingly miserable experience on Rise of Skywalker. Perhaps he found it easier working with Mangold and wasn't having to do constant rewrites so he felt more able to end up doing the whole thing.

9 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

If it's sharks, I don't think Williams could help himself to not do something. That would be pretty funny if he had to score for sharks again.

"Sharks again," fun fact, was also the working title for Jaws 2. :rimshot:

Oh definitely, and it would be very fun too.