John Williams: Live in Vienna - Japan reissue with 3 bonus tracks!

AOP

So this is how these will be available physically? Also with the next "Western" release in a few months… or years… I suppose? We might really miss out on releases of the rest of Vienna II then…

3 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Is this an originally signed card or a print of a signature?

John Williams will sign and personally deliver them to every customer. :) 

(It’s a printed signature postcard.)

6 hours ago, JTW said:

John Williams will sign and personally deliver them to every customer. :) 

(It’s a printed signature postcard.)

@BB-8, it’s a “printed” signature as @JTW says. They probably just digitally superimposed his signature on the postcard.

I will definitely post photos when I receive it 👍

On 08/07/2023 at 12:17 PM, AOP said:

Link with pics of postcard with printed signature:

https://www.universal-music.co.jp/john-williams/news/2023-07-07/

Thanks for this. Unfortunately it seems to be impossible to order this special edition with the postcard with signature outside Japan?

If any JWFan member could help with this and order this for me, please let me know. :)

56 minutes ago, fommes said:

Thanks for this. Unfortunately it seems to be impossible to order this special edition with the postcard with signature outside Japan?

If any JWFan member could help with this and order this for me, please let me know. :)

Same! The site asks me to first register an account before I can order and I get stuck when it asks for a 7-digit postcode. Our ZIP codes are either 5 or 9 digits long, so my guess is the site isn’t intended to accept an address outside Japan 🫤.

How does the international shipping on Tower Records works? Does the pack is still subject to import duties or are they already included within this service?

I also checked over at Amazon Japan and they don't list this release... Any word if they will have it?

15 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

How does the international shipping on Tower Records works? Does the pack is still subject to import duties or are they already included within this service?

I also checked over at Amazon Japan and they don't list this release... Any word if they will have it?

I ordered my copy from: CD JAPAN which offers various mail options etc. 

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp

1 hour ago, BB-8 said:

Same. When I ordered there were only three copies with the non-signature bonus left.

There was just 1 left when I it saw so I took it. :)

The printed signature was exclusive to Tower Records only? I didnt care for the signature Since I already have 3 of them for real.

P.S. Wasn't the Vinyl issue also had the bonus postcard with signature included in its package when it first came out?

2 hours ago, Amer said:

P.S. Wasn't the Vinyl issue also had the bonus postcard with signature included in its package when it first came out?

That was even "a personal note"...yet printed.

Since DG often do real signatures on covers, sleeves and socalled "art cards" I for a second thought they had done this...

On 08/07/2023 at 2:56 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

So this is how these will be available physically? Also with the next "Western" release in a few months… or years… I suppose? We might really miss out on releases of the rest of Vienna II then…

Perhaps Europe will get "The Tokyo Concert" coupled with these three bonus tracks?

Still hoping for the full Vienna 2 issue...

On 08/07/2023 at 12:14 PM, Chewy said:

This album has soooo many editions :o

I guess this confirms we will not have the full 2022 concert released.

11 (eleven) versions according to tower.jp...

image.png

Plus the golden vinyls.

Anything missing?

Any JWfan who has them all? ;-)

On 08/07/2023 at 11:37 AM, AOP said:

Sony is also reissuing the Gerhardt recordings of CE3K/SW and Return of the Jedi later this month! See here:

CE3K/SW:

https://tower.jp/item/5740684/ジョン・ウィリアムズ:スター・ウォーズ&未知との遭遇

Interesting. I wonder if they'll use Dutton's new remastering. 

On 08/07/2023 at 2:56 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

So this is how these will be available physically? Also with the next "Western" release in a few months… or years… I suppose?

Riiight...

Whoops, just counted, I have 11...

LP gold (numbered)

LP black

CD gold foil

CD yellow label

HQCD Japan

2 CD Live Edition

CD+Bluray gold foil

HQCD+Bluray Japan

2 SACD Live Edition Japan

Bluray

2 HQCD Special Edition Japan

I STILL WANT VIENNA 2 (but a single release would do)!

For anyone interested of what the bonus tracks are without having to click-and-google-translate:

CD 2: Bonus tracks (recorded 2022)

16. Fawkes The Phoenix (from "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets")

17. Sound The Bells

18. March of the Resistance (From "Star Wars: The Force Awakens")

In other words, the digital singles released from the 2022 concert.

Edit: I just saw that it was included in the first post. :P I could have sworn it wasn’t there when I looked earlier.

27 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Edit: I just saw that it was included in the first post. :P I could have sworn it wasn’t there when I looked earlier.

It was, otherwise my post wouldn't make sense (I don't speak Japanese): ;)

16 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Whoops, just counted, I have 11...

LP gold (numbered)

LP black

CD gold foil

CD yellow label

HQCD Japan

2 CD Live Edition

CD+Bluray gold foil

HQCD+Bluray Japan

2 SACD Live Edition Japan

Bluray

2 HQCD Special Edition Japan

I STILL WANT VIENNA 2 (but a single release would do)!

What prompted this commercial excess of mine was the fact that I can be seen on the inner liner photo together with...yes, JW, which I consider to be quite a stroke of luck after the series of cancellations, stressful ticketing and payment procedures and the fact that material from the concert on the second day was mostly used for this publication.

On 10/07/2023 at 5:15 PM, Amer said:

There was just 1 left when I it saw so I took it. :)

The printed signature was exclusive to Tower Records only? I didnt care for the signature Since I already have 3 of them for real.

Back in stock with bonus @ CDJapan : John Williams - Live In Vienna (Special Edition) [Hi-Res CD (MQA x UHQCD)] John Williams CD Album

"Only 6 initially supplied quantity left." 

On 10/7/2023 at 6:30 PM, AOP said:

It seems like there’s a lot of interest in the printed signature postcard?

If fellow JW fans desperately want the printed signature postcard together with the CD, I’d be happy to order on your behalf since I am based in Japan.

Please PM me and we’ll work something out. But please do so soon (i.e. within the next few days) since I imagine these things will sell out pretty quickly!

(I’m not sure if there’s any limit on how many I can order - we’ll see!)

Hey guys,

Just putting out a last call on my offer above.

So far, 4 people have put in an order with me to get the CD with printed signature postcard.

I’ll be making a bulk order about 24 hours from now as I am concerned they will sell out soon. I also want to save on shipping.

Thanks in advance!

AOP

3 hours ago, AOP said:

Hey guys,

Just putting out a last call on my offer above.

So far, 4 people have put in an order with me to get the CD with printed signature postcard.

I’ll be making a bulk order about 24 hours from now as I am concerned they will sell out soon. I also want to save on shipping.

Thanks in advance!

AOP

What would the total be for shipping to the US (NYC)?

1 hour ago, rpvee said:

What would the total be for shipping to the US (NYC)?

Assuming it’s being sent by standard airmail (non-registered), it would be the actual cost of the cd (¥3,850 = $27.57) plus $10-20 for shipping. Haven’t sent anything to the US recently, so just estimating.

Sorry I can’t give an exact figure!

It's odd that this apparently will be an issue containing the edited spoken introductions...does that really appeal to Japanese listeners?

I was in fact hoping for a clean version of all the music without the distraction of the applause and speeches.

Looks like there's still scope for yet another edition!

13 hours ago, AOP said:

Assuming it’s being sent by standard airmail (non-registered), it would be the actual cost of the cd (¥3,850 = $27.57) plus $10-20 for shipping. Haven’t sent anything to the US recently, so just estimating.

Sorry I can’t give an exact figure!

It’s ok, even that’s helpful. I guess include me too if it’s not too late!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is the 2020 material the “Live” version or the version without the applause and commentary?  I forget which version I have at the moment. 

I have the Blu Ray set which I believe has the Live 2CDs included. This has 2CDs so it looks like this is the Live Version plus bonus tracks I guess. I still need to pick up the single disc edited version. 

7 minutes ago, Andy said:

I have the Blu Ray set which I believe has the Live 2CDs included. This has 2CDs so it looks like this is the Live Version plus bonus tracks I guess. I still need to pick up the single disc edited version. 

Yes. It has everything that's been released as far as I know. All the other versions are edits of this one. The one thing it's missing that some of the others have is a jewel case.

20 hours ago, Andy said:

The Blurays plus single CD set (Deluxe Edition) contained the complete video (in various Dolby sound formats) and the normal music-only CD and a "Pure Audio" edition.  [EDIT]

To my knowledge, the so-called "Live Edition" that appeared separately on 2 CDs contained the full soundtrack with the edited JW speeches and all ASM pieces.

4 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

The 2 Blurays plus single CD set (Deluxe Edition) contained the complete video, the normal music-only CD and a "Pure Audio" edition.

To my knowledge, the so-called "Live Edition" that appeared separately on 2 CDs contained the full soundtrack with the edited JW speeches and all ASM pieces.

I'm sorry, I was confused. BB-8 is correct. I ripped the audio from the Blu-ray myself, that's why I forgot the included CD didn't contain the live version.

Sonically, the package includes everything that was released. But some of it is just on the Blu, and some of it (the edited version) is just on the CD.

2 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm sorry, I was confused. BB-8 is correct. I ripped the audio from the Blu-ray myself, that's why I forgot the included CD didn't contain the live version.

Sonically, the package includes everything that was released. But some of it is just on the Blu, and some of it (the edited version) is just on the CD.

I was also confused thinking that the Vienna concert was released also as PureAudio Bluray...that was Berlin, if I recall correctly. [see edtions to my post above].

Btw, according to CD Japan, it looks like the release date of the "Special Edition" has shifted to August 30.

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

...and that is exactly the only version and only BluRay I own, complete w/ GlastoEls on the inside. (us and Marian are there too, just outside the left edge of the DigiPak/picture, plus the picture has been taken from just in front of our daughter's view/seat... ;))

6 hours ago, Martinland said:

...and that is exactly the only version and only BluRay I own, complete w/ GlastoEls on the inside. (us and Marian are there too, just outside the left edge of the DigiPak/picture, plus the picture has been taken from just in front of our daughter's view/seat... ;))

Yes, they edited me out of the Vienna Blu in multiple ways. I fared better on the Berlin Blu. ;)