Hans Zimmer and Nick-Glennie Smith's THE ROCK (1996) - NEW! 2023 Intrada 2-CD edition

Jay

I wonder why Joe did not make a promo video for this one?

And JTW, that typo was Doug's.  I noticed it but did not want to alter his text

And the two Narnia scores, which have a lot of worthy music unreleased...

Oh, here's a weird little HGW-related news tidbit I ran across recently: https://www.wsj.com/finance/you-can-now-invest-in-shrek-music-rights-the-same-place-you-buy-stocks-2798a41f?st=jaianxa1fwer3ew&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

(And oddly no mention at all of John Powell in that article, even though he co-wrote the score to Shrek... did he not get the same rights as HGW did, somehow?)

Yavar

But why isn’t HGW interested in releasing his complete scores? Every other film composer is…

Doesn’t he know he has many fans who would be ecstatic to hear all the music he wrote for some of his scores?

50 minutes ago, Thor said:

Indeed.

Mwahahaha (evil laugh).

Damn ye, Thor!

No, but seriously, why wouldn’t HGW want expanded editions? 

20 hours ago, JTW said:

But why isn’t HGW interested in releasing his complete scores? Every other film composer is…

Doesn’t he know he has many fans who would be ecstatic to hear all the music he wrote for some of his scores?

According to the same thread on hans-zimmer.com, Trevor Rabin also doesn’t care about expanded releases… so we are never gonna get Armageddon :shakehead:

Yeah, since these guys don't want to be handosmely paid by expanding their work, then thank goodness almost every single RC score has been leaked, one way or another.

The recording sessions for Kingdom of Heaven and Narnia 1 and 2 are already available on, hmm, certain places :whistle:.

OTOH, Sinbad hasn't leaked... But is there much stuff that didn't make the OST?

Make sure you guys share your thoughts on this. I haven't got this score at all in my collection but sometimes I'm in a mood for Zimmer power anthem of old (love The Peacemaker). 

Karol

On 4/10/2023 at 7:36 PM, JTW said:

It’s not that uncommon. Wasn’t Goldsmith notoriously against some of his scores being released at all?

On 5/10/2023 at 3:26 PM, Edmilson said:

Yeah, since these guys don't want to be handosmely paid by expanding their work, then thank goodness almost every single RC score has been leaked, one way or another.

I don’t think composers are being handsomely paid for CD expansions. 

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

It’s not that uncommon. Wasn’t Goldsmith notoriously against some of his scores being released at all?

It’s not an answer to my question, though. 

I’d say very few composers don’t want all their music being represented on an expanded edition if being offered the chance.

And I wonder why HGW doesn’t.

2 hours ago, JTW said:

I’d say very few composers don’t want all their music being represented on an expanded edition if being offered the chance.

Perhaps it’s because we might notice even more instances of him using the same samples from his toolkit! 

I jest of course. I love how HGW has been able to craft his own unique sound palette over the years.

On 7/10/2023 at 9:09 AM, JTW said:

It’s not an answer to my question, though. 

No one is going to know unless you ask HGW. He probably prefers the album presentation like Thor. JW wasn’t even on board for a lot of things until Matessino became his trusted producer for such projects. 

Zimmer didn’t want his early scores released because he’s not proud of the music. Could also be something similar to that. 

27 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Didn't Zimmer once vetoed an expanded edition of The Last Samurai?

Well, they should've done that score back then because it's a Warner Bros movie and nowadays they're closed for business with the labels.

He nixed a Varese release of a score awhile back, because he thought it was too short.

And most recently he was publicly upset on Facebook about the premier releases of his early film scores. 

I'm on the fence about purchasing this. My only experience with 90s action mode Zimmer is Drop Zone and The Peacemaker, which I do enjoy. Do people consider The Rock to be greater, equal to or lesser than those two (and others like Crimson Tide and Broken Arrow)?

7 hours ago, Trope said:

I'm on the fence about purchasing this. My only experience with 90s action mode Zimmer is Drop Zone and The Peacemaker, which I do enjoy. Do people consider The Rock to be greater, equal to or lesser than those two (and others like Crimson Tide and Broken Arrow)?

Much, much better than DROP ZONE (which I've never cared about), BROKEN ARROW (which I've never cared about) and THE PEACEMAKER (which I've cared marginally about). On the same level, and stylistically similar to CRIMSON TIDE.

10 hours ago, Trope said:

Much greater, without question. 

The samples on Intrada's website should tell you if you'll enjoy it or not. 

Previewed this set and it reminded me of how fun some of the action sequences are - specifically the SFO chase and the final rocket sequence. I'd also never really paid attention before to Baby Gas - nice, slightly understated but tense and atmospheric piece.

Oddly, the element that probably swung it towards a purchase for me is the transition from Fort Walton to the end titles, which is a nicely presented two-parter without that awful crossfade in the film.

On 04/10/2023 at 2:36 PM, JTW said:

He's said in a couple of interviews that the 50-minute or so album is 'the best bits' of said score, but he also said that he put out a longer album for Mulan and people complained that it was too long, so (exact words) 'you can't win'. I get the sense he just doesn't feel like we need to hear the complete score in most cases.

However, Kingdom of Heaven and Narnia 1 are out there, as is most of The Martian (my favourite three of his) so if he doesn't want them out in full, then the RS will do for me. I rarely care about the 'composer approved' element of a release if I can have all the cues I wanted.

14 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Recording Sessions, I assume.

Did anyone ever think we would be listening to The Rock and thinking "They don't make 'em like that anymore?"

Yep, until you listen to Crimson Tide. :) 

1 hour ago, JTW said:

Yep, until you listen to Crimson Tide. :) 

Which was before THE ROCK.

But yeah, when I went through my Zimmer collection recently, I also bemoaned the loss of the power anthem style in today's scores. It drew its last gasp with the PIRATES movies and maybe KING ARTHUR, and haven't been heard from since. :( 

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

Which was before THE ROCK.

But you can listen to CRIMSON TIDE after it. :D

Speaking of Pirates, some of the bonus content on THE ROCK CD2 bears some resemblance to PotC. There’s 7 years between the two films, but maybe Hans was already developing that style.

On 04/10/2023 at 6:04 PM, JTW said:

If everyone was interested, why do they never ever do it right on day 1?

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

If everyone was interested, why do they never ever do it right on day 1?

The studios? Budgetary restrictions? Who knows? But I'm sure (almost) every film composer wants all the music they compose and record for a film, released. Otherwise why would there be so many expansions? 

13 minutes ago, JTW said:

But I'm sure (almost) every film composer wants all the music they compose and record for a film, released.

Pretty sure they don't. Even those that do, don't just want the entire sessions out there - they want to clean things up a bit for the album.

There are plenty of expansions because it could be several decades (at least) before they happen, and that's enough time in most composers' eyes to allow the full score out.

11 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

don't just want the entire sessions out there

Surely I didn't mean the entire sessions. And I'm not calling you Shirley. 

Do you really think that, fees and practical issues aside for argument's sake, most composers would want everything they did for every film available to download right away?

Sure, we see the occasional 2+hour release for a big score but that's not the majority of composers.

It'd be great if you were right of course! But I don't think so.

Thankfully, there are still some composers around to see the rhyme and reason in beautifully, succinctly curated OSTs. Here's me raising my glass to them!

By the way, not even a curated OST would have saved HGW's MULAN. A rare misfire of a score from him, for a disaster of a film that I had to turn off in anger. My two cents here:

https://celluloidtunes.no/mulan-harry-gregson-williams/

46 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Do you really think that, fees and practical issues aside for argument's sake, most composers would want everything they did for every film available to download right away?

Sure, we see the occasional 2+hour release for a big score but that's not the majority of composers.

It'd be great if you were right of course! But I don't think so.

I think this is slowly the direction we're moving in. I mean even *tv shows* now are getting this treatment, with Rings of Power and now Ahsoka. Hopefully one day all scores will be this way.
I actually think Rings of Power's release model was a brilliant way to make everyone happy. One curated OST to make casual listeners (and Thor) happy, and then complete albums for fans of the score, both released at the same time. I'd love to see more shows and films follow this model

9 minutes ago, enderdrag64 said:

I actually think Rings of Power's release model was a brilliant way to make everyone happy. One curated OST to make casual listeners (and Thor) happy, and then complete albums for fans of the score, both released at the same time. I'd love to see more shows and films follow this model

Not quite. The "OST" was 2 hours and 40 minutes. However, I've whittled it down to a more sane length myself. 63 minutes, which works reasonably well.

rings.jpg

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I don't think it's up to the composers unfortunately. But that doesn't necessarily mean that that's not what they'd want if it were up to them.

31 minutes ago, Thor said:

Not quite. The "OST" was 2 hours and 40 minutes. However, I've whittled it down to a more sane length myself. 63 minutes, which works reasonably well.

I'd personally have cut the last hour of the OST down a bit - one of the later episodes has all but one cue (I think) on this album. He could've been a bit more selective there.

But he's done most of the work for you in that the tracks themselves are curated and edited - you just chose the ones you felt flowed - win win.

12 minutes ago, JTW said:

I don't think it's up to the composers unfortunately. But that doesn't necessarily mean that that's not what they'd want if it were up to them.

The composers will be limited, sure, but I still don't think most would opt to release everything immediately if there were no limitations.

Of course, more these days are going this route but I think it's just revealing which few composers have that mindset amongst the ocean.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

By the way, not even a curated OST would have saved HGW's MULAN. A rare misfire of a score from him, for a disaster of a film that I had to turn off in anger. My two cents here:

I don't remember a single note from HGW's Mulan. Such a forgettable, bland score. I was hoping his return to fantasy movies would give us something closer to Narnia, but in a Chinese setting. But that was probably a fool's hope, for current day HGW is different from 2000s HGW.

And yeah, the movie is terrible even by "Disney remakes of their animated classics" standard.