Alexandre Desplat's THE BOYS IN THE BOAT (2023)

Jay

6 hours ago, Will said:

Beautiful first cue! Definitely reminds me of Little Women. The main theme is a real earworm.

Love it! The first part reminds me, a little bit of The Martian

Not bad. While it does have some of those tiresome and typical cloppety-clop whimsy elements about it, it still leaves room for long melody lines. Should be interesting to hear the whole thing.

It is a decent score. Main title shines in the film. But after that it is kinda familiar sounding though decently done. Not a stand out. Feels like even B tier composer could have delivered this score. The film is dull. The score is fine enough I guess.

20 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Listened to it this afternoon. THIS is the Desplat I love! His best scote in a number of years

What's a scote?

Listening now. It's not bad or anything, and I'm willing to put it on my "to reassess down the road" list for Desplat, now that I've recently gone through his back catalogue and curated what I want to own. BUT....it is plagued with that eternal Desplat schtick -- those light, rhytmical patterns, kindy quirky, "girl skipping down the street"-type sound. It gets better when the melody lines are elongated, with that soulful trumpet.

13 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The least boring amongst a bunch of boring scores? I can agree about that. :)

Well it definitely is one of the least boring AD scores, up to the point that I wouldn’t call it boring at all. :-)

I mentioned above that I love how Desplat adapts the main title theme throughout the score in surprising ways. My favorite variation is probably still the one in the opening track, but this one from the end of "We Were Never Eight" is really amazing:

Goes from the flighty, delicate version in the opening track to this muscular, almost power anthem-esque rendition -- and Desplat makes it sound very natural in both contexts!

58 minutes ago, Will said:

I mentioned above that I love how Desplat adapts the main title theme throughout the score in surprising ways. My favorite variation is probably still the one in the opening track, but this one from the end of "We Were Never Eight" is really amazing:

Goes from the flighty, delicate version in the opening track to this muscular, almost power anthem-esque rendition -- and Desplat makes it sound very natural in both contexts!

I find this downwards scale ostinato rather annoying. Tastes are so different.

George Clooney is no great director, for sure, but he's made two fine movies - THE MONUMENT'S MEN and THE MIDNIGHT SKY (which I've seen three times now). This latest one, I have limited interest in.

When I saw the trailer, I wasn't that interested in the film at all.

When I saw Desplat was the composer, I thought maybe I'd check it out, maybe not; I like some of his scores, but most leave me cold.

Then I heard the OST album and loved it, and subsequent listens only reinforced that.

So now I am for sure going to see the movie, just to know the context for the score -- and if the movie's good, that'll be icing on the cake.

Gotta love when this hobby and just general movie watching overlap like this

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw the film today! Really enjoyed. I've listened to the score so many times by now that it was great to see where it fits into the movie. Sadly, "We Were Never Eight" is rather awkwardly edited in the film, with the ending passage (the power anthem version of the main title theme) jarringly replaced by a tracked repeat of the big statement of the team theme from earlier in the cue. But the score is otherwise treated quite well, on the whole. It obviously really shines in the main title cue ("The Boys in the Boat"), and it also plays virtually unobstructed by SFX or dialogue in "Training."

Although the opening of "Boat Ride" seems to be unused in the film, the sweeping romantic portion is used to wonderful effect in a kiss scene midway through the film (I won't spoil it for those waiting to watch). Interestingly, it seems that "USA Rowing Team (Alternate Version)" is actually the version used in the film! And the "Film Version" is unused. I wonder if that indicates a very late change by the director, after the album had already been finished...

The OST seems to not be in chronological order -- for example, "Poughkeepsie" (the last track on the album) is used midway through the film, and "We Were Never Eight" is the second-to-last cue in the film despite appearing midway through the album. 

Anyway, an excellent score for a great film. So glad that Clooney gave Desplat these opportunities for his music to shine, and Desplat hit it out of the park.

27 minutes ago, Will said:

Sadly, "We Were Never Eight" is rather awkwardly edited in the film, with the ending passage (the power anthem version of the main title theme) jarringly replaced by a tracked repeat of the big statement of the team theme from earlier in the cue.

Wow, that is crazy to hear.  The ending passage is the highlight of the score and album.  What was Clooney thinking?

Interestingly, it seems that "USA Rowing Team (Alternate Version)" is actually the version used in the film! And the "Film Version" is unused. I wonder if that indicates a very late change by the director, after the album had already been finished...

Huh, weird.  Maybe someone just accidentally swapped the two track names and no one caught it.  Or its as you said.

The OST seems to not be in chronological order -- for example, "Poughkeepsie" (the last track on the album) is used midway through the film, and "We Were Never Eight" is the second-to-last cue in the film despite appearing midway through the album.

Fascinating!  I'd love to know the full chronological order of the whole album if you can figure it out.