John Powell's HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON: THE HIDDEN WORLD (2019) - 2024 Varese Deluxe Edition

Faleel

Got my copy today, I am so happy that I now can listen to the entire trilogy in complete form. And the fact that it has only been  five years since this came out and we already have the complete score is so great!

Yeah, it's so great!!

I really hope Powell is gonna keep doing this.

I would love his Ice Age and X-Men (especially because of all the short ost cues) and Bourne scores on an album like this

Second pass at an edit: I shortened Armada Battle.

I realised a lot of the messiness comes from tempo shifts, abrupt/imperfect transitions and some basically 1:1 reprised segments. I narrowed down the key offenders to 3 sections that I removed: 2:48-3:32 (the Wings / Challenging the Alpha reprise), 4:55-5:39 (The Kill Ring reprise) and 6:22-6:44 (The Hiccup & Toothless Attacked reprise).

Not to toot my own horn too much but something must be right about my "musical sense" because thankfully the first and third are actually on cue borders, some of the weaker transitions come from that, and because the FYC contains the cues separately that also gave me some clean openings/endings to work more flexibly with.

The first and second are simple transitions, switch the later section in for the removed one when it would come in, let the buildup bleed through in a crossfade etc. The third was trickier since I was left with a buildup and a quiet unimpressive clean opening, so I snatched 3:30-3:32 for a quick brass and percussion burst to patch the transition with (and make a tiny fragment of the removed material live on!).

To further "clean up" the tempo, I tightened up the 4:31-4:34 buildup to the fast Love Theme (made it start earlier, shortened it a tiny bit), and very slightly sped up 4:44-4:55 which is a kinda weird drop in tempo after that Love Theme.

I'll need to live with it a bit, come back after some time of course, but I think I succeeded in tightening it up, focusing it more on the new stuff, new renditions and better integrated old renditions.

On 13/3/2024 at 8:18 AM, Anthony said:

I'm not quite sure why, but there's a period between 2011 and 2014 where there are 5 consecutive scores which just don't do anything for me.

That’s where I almost, kinda fell out of love with JP. As

much as I adored his Bourne scores (especially the first two), and his X-Men 3 score, and even his first HTTYD, he started to become “too much” for me at that time, where I just couldn’t listen to any of his scores all the way through. And as much as I like the HTTYD films, and I have all 3 scores both as OSTs and the extended editions, I don’t listen to them, or only a few cues, than I grow tired of them and put on something else. It’s the same with Solo. And I genuinely like the guy and his music, but not in great portions I guess. And I chose HTTYD3 over Hellboy 2.  

• 2 weeks later...

My copy finally arrived from the int'l store (I don't mind waiting), and I have to say, the remaster for this is like night and day compared to the standard OST. It's amazing the difference these deluxe editions have done, to make all 3 scores way more listenable. I'm sure I'll just be parroting what others have said, but to get complete releases for a film series so soon after they released is an absolute marvel.

While HTTYD 2 is my favourite score (and film), The Hidden World is probably the easiest listen, and the most developed musically (which makes sense given its placement in the series)

Well then, mine better be in one piece and working condition when it arrives (no updates in over 48h to my tracking within the EU... what gives... bracing for Easter too...)...

Hope that UK shop never finds anything else I'd want in their warehouses. XD

Well fingers crossed for you. My jewel case is cracked across the front. Can’t be too upset I guess, since that never happens to me.

7 hours ago, Andy said:

That was quick! If I were advising Powell right now, I'd tell him to forget his end of April streaming date and just put this out digitally now. Such a dumb idea to begin with - there were easily enough fans who wanted it on CD for Varese to get their sales. I know this may be an unpopular rant with some but I just don't buy the idea that Varese needs an exclusive period for a product like this, and it feels very condescending that we're being asked to buy (and wait for) a CD and marvel at some fancy liners before we're allowed the convenience of digital.

When is the April streaming date?

Perhaps they are “officially” sold out so that fence sitters and procrastinators will be more inclined to purchase it digitally. 

I mean, it’s almost April already, and a “sell out” could boost digital sales.  

Then months  later they can find more inventory after the demand for the physical cd has time to skyrocket. 

It’s what I would do if sales slowed to a trickle. 

Geez I'm glad my order shipped yesterday! Just in time.

Still gotta say, I find it a little baffling they licensed 1000 less units of the third score. A stack of people who ordered the previous 2 expansions are going to miss out.

4 hours ago, Holko said:

The liner notes should be included digitally for every digital release on every platform, why the fuck is that not a common basic given thing

Oh, agree completely. I mentioned them more as I was trying to highlight some specific appeal of having this specific release on CD, aside from obvious collector desires.

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

Geez I'm glad my order shipped yesterday! Just in time.

Still gotta say, I find it a little baffling they licensed 1000 less units of the third score. A stack of people who ordered the previous 2 expansions are going to miss out.

Particularly as it's not like their US warehouse has a ton of the first two sitting unsold and they decided to reduce the pressing volume.

Not entirely indicative but discogs has between 40-50 people currently wanting the first and second, and the lowest price is around £60. If they did more in the US store, no doubt they'd sell.

Took a while but finally got my INTL package. Hidden World DE arrived in 1piece and in working condition ^_^ can't wait to actually sit down and listen.

One other 2disc tray was broken but I'm mostly happy with my whole previously-considered-OOP order.

• 3 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Chewy said:

On 31/10/2023 at 11:22 AM, Jay said:

5 Cat Studios' website has revealed that Varese's CD edition will have a 2-month exclusive window before the expanded edition shows up on digital stores/streamers

February 23, 2024
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Deluxe Edition) [CD]

April 26, 2024
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Deluxe Edition) [Digital]

https://5catstudios.com/listen

;)