John Powell's HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON: THE HIDDEN WORLD (2019) - 2024 Varese Deluxe Edition

Faleel

8 minutes ago, scallenger said:

Well, Hidden World is for sure coming now... but in early 2024. And from one of his replies in the comments, this includes the release of the printed sheet music score.

https://www.facebook.com/1689850014571627/posts/3095325250690756/?sfnsn=mo

If LLL or Intrada gave us two years notice of a release there’d be a riot ;-).  

2024 will be six years after the release of The Hidden World. It's been eight years since How to Train Your Dragon 2, and twelve years since the first film. Where did all the years go?

41 minutes ago, crypto said:

I really appreciate Powell's transparency about the release date of Dragon 3, actually!

If Disney Records came out and said, "we're working on Star Wars expansions, but they won't be out until 2024," I'd be totally fine with that.

The part that sucks is simply not knowing if they're even working on them.

Fair comment! I think it’s just the realisation that it’s not next year but the year after which makes it seems so distant. Let’s face it, if he’d announced HTTYD2 two years ago, I doubt we’d have all expected a worldwide pandemic and land war in Europe to have happened in the gap. Hope the two years until 2024 are better all round lol. 

• 10 months later...
33 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Tw-- Twenty-FOUR?!?

We've known that it was coming in early 2024 since Powell told us so 11 months ago via Facebook and Instagram.  

The March 2022 Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/johnpowellmusic/posts/pfbid037yPxkE89dDBXxzzC4x56utqJaeAs5u7kXYkk5yPTnmKSTZ5hJA1gJv8TW35C2jQrl

8 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

A year away is a long time for this, although tbh I'm not rushing away from the excellent album presentation - it doesn't feel like there's much to add in terms of missing music or improved sound quality.

That i  perhaps the most consoling thing, there isn’t actually a lot missing from the original soundtrack, so I think the additions will be a little bit more marginal, but that doesn’t mean I want it any less, of course! And the mixing on the third score is indeed much more natural, so I don’t think there’s quite so many tweaks to make it that regard.

It takes a long time to make those Omni books happen.  The audio work is probably done already.  But it makes sense to release both at once.

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

341346887_608028011366214_31484566143945

Can’t wait. Obviously! Must admit that I didn’t think there was that much music missing from this one. Certainly not enough to make it to two hours. Guess the demos plus any alternates add to whatever cues don’t feature on the OST. 

• 6 months later...
10 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

February doesn't quite seem the eternity away that it did when it was first announced.

Yes it's pretty wild that it was announced 23 months before release date

10 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I still think having a physical exclusive period is wrong though.

What!? It's IDEAL!  The specialty labels need every help they can get just to stay in business my friend.

36 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Cannot wait for this. I was actually thinking about it the other day. Glad to see it's finally confirmed, and only months away.

Karol

Ditto! It's great to have the entire Powell's magnum opus, the How to Train Your Dragon trilogy, in full form soon. :) 

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

What!? It's IDEAL!  The specialty labels need every help they can get just to stay in business my friend.

I'm okay with it as long as it's announced up front (and preferably also loud and clear on CD order page) that it WILL get digital release.

Seeing several expansions go digital a proverbial day after I got the CDs (without catching wind of a digital release coming) only made me triple think before placing that order now.

With that said, HTTYD3 DE is a preorder. And if the digital is also hirez, that's a double dip. (Well, triple after the initial OST. Or did I also grab that digital..?)

I hope the extras are better than the few demo tracks that seemed like final versions but synth...

1 hour ago, filip said:

I hope the extras are better than the few demo tracks that seemed like final versions but synth...

For a set of scores that appear to have little alternate material (just one or two alternates for each score), what are you hoping they'll add apart from demo material? If Powell didn't need to revise much, there's nothing to add...

---

It's great that all three are coming from Varese in a nice collectible series (as especially as I never got the first one's OST on CD), but I'm really skeptical that Varese particularly needs a period of exclusivity to make good returns, considering their primary market basically pleads for CD releases.

And my usual grumbling about having to wait for the CD to cross the pond. I feel there are other releases for which they can focus on physical sales - this is modern and ideally would be available as/when the consumer wants. Just my 2 cents.

17 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

For a set of scores that appear to have little alternate material (just one or two alternates for each score), what are you hoping they'll add apart from demo material? If Powell didn't need to revise much, there's nothing to add...

I don't know. Early sketches? Choirless versions of select tracks (don't know how much that would cost)? Or more than 6 of those final synth versions? (I would presume those don't cost them anything... Fill the discs up.)

Edit:

Did the specials not have any original music? (Gift of the Night Fury, Boneknapper...) I know Homecoming got a digital release... heck, why not include that on CD...

3 hours ago, Jay said:

What do you mean by finally confirmed?  He's posted about it coming three times now, first in March 2022, then February 2023, then April 2023. 

Oh yes, but we didn't have exact date. 

Karol

3 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I don't have either of the other two and both are absolute faves. What is the aftermarket looking like on those if I buy this and want to fix my collection?

They’re running about $70 each right now.

If you're talking about the HTTYD DEs, isn't it likely that they will be back whenever Varese finishes their move? Unless they really sold everything out in the most recent sale...

The first one is 35EUR on MBR.

6 minutes ago, filip said:

If you're talking about the HTTYD DEs, isn't it likely that they will be back whenever Varese finishes their move? Unless they really sold everything out in the most recent sale...

The first one is 35EUR on MBR.

I had thought they sold out. Apparently not.

The physical CD editions of the Deluxe Editions for 1 and 2 are sold out, however retailers could still have stock they haven't sold yet.

If you're interested in having the trilogy physically, I'd buy 1 and 2 now before they get too pricey.

• 2 months later...