Indiana Jones and the Lost Concert Arrangement

Jay

4 hours ago, Brando said:

Fascinating! Also, the 'JR Edit'-what does that mean exactly?

Well its still the Raiders March composition from 1981, its just not the entire composition, it's shorter.  So probably someone on the team was given the task of taking that old sheet music and dropping the right bars and changing the right tempos to fit the exact run time needed for the main on end credits.  And that person probably had the initials JR.

My best guess was Jamie Richardson but I really don't know.

He does that? I thought he was JW’s agent.

Perhaps it means John Ramiro Edit.

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

Probably Jamie Richardson was tasked with putting together a short version to record?

Ohhhh I see. Is this someone who works with JW? I see a Jamie Richardson on IMDb which lists Prisoner of Azkaban which he's listed as a writer on the soundtrack, but not DoD.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Probably Jamie Richardson was tasked with putting together a short version to record?

1 hour ago, JTW said:

He does that? I thought he was JW’s agent.

He is.  He's with the Gorfaine/Schwarts Agency.  He is also the co-founder of Film Concert Live, the concert-production company that did many of the LTP concerts of scored-Williams films like Jurassic Park, CE3K, Raiders, Jaws, ET, Home Alone, and Superman.

4 hours ago, JTW said:

Perhaps it means John Ramiro Edit.

But Ramiro Belgardt is John's music editor, and this music wasn't formed by taking a long recording and then editing it down.  It's clearly written to be exactly what we hear, and the recording in the film and OST album is unedited.  I'm sure someone who attended that New York concert would say its the same. 

I guess they could have called it "JR Arrangement", but since there's technically no proper "arranging" done, just shortening of the old composition, "JR Edit" makes more sense.  There could be someone else on the team with the initial JR, but I didn't see one

It also could just be "Junior Edit", because it's shorter.  Who knows!

Nice catch with the OST mastering smoothing out the edit point!

The raiders march is more than a shorter edit of the same material.. its an arrangement without strings. Just winds and percussion (and harp). That never appeared on previous films i think

16 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

The raiders march is more than a shorter edit of the same material.. its an arrangement without strings. Just winds and percussion (and harp). That never appeared on previous films i think

The strings are very much there, just low in the mix.

Williams conducted this arrangement at the premiere and you can see the strings playing.

Also, that shortened opening is really silly. Has Williams not conducted this piece hundreds of times? The audience always goes nuts after the first few bars but shortening it means the cheering overlaps with the first bars of the main theme. This was never an issue with the longer opening.

Hopefully we've heard the last of this edit.

18 hours ago, Jay said:

Many fans have noticed that the film features an "extension" in the "End Credits Part 3" part that isn't in the OST track.  Specifically, what you hear in OST track 1 from 2:30-2:37 is replaced in the final film by about 49 seconds of... something else:

so wait.... how was this bit found?  was it a leak and someone made this edit?  this was never actually heard in theaters right?

What?  The blu ray's end credits is the same as what was in theaters.  The "Through The Airport" bit shoved into "End Credits Part 3" runs from 2:30:06-2:30:55

wait so that bit in that youtube video is actually in the end credits?

oh okay! sorry that's my confusion, as I've never listened to the actual film end credits because i assumed it was just the same as the OST!

My bad!  i must have missed any comments on something new in the end credits in other threads (if there were comments)

this is great!!

1 hour ago, Bellosh said:

wait so that bit in that youtube video is actually in the end credits?

yes....

1 hour ago, Bellosh said:

i must have missed any comments on something new in the end credits in other threads (if there were comments)

It was mentioned while the film was still in theaters that there was a bit in the end credits that wasn't in the OST track, and we'd been speculating whether it was part of the end credits that Williams snipped out of the OST track, or something intended for someone else that the music editors shoved in there to extend the runtime, ever since.  I only recently figured it out it tracked music from "To The Airport", here.

But that's the point, it ISN'T end credits material that was cut from the OST.  It's an unused opening of "To The Airport" that was inserted in the middle of "End Credit Part 3" in the film, to extend the runtime.

"End Credit Part 3" is in OST track 1, "Prologue", from 1:07-end.

We're not talking about the "Raiders March - JR Edit" and "Helena's Theme" cues that appear before "End Credit Part 3".

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

"End Credit Part 3" is in OST track 1, "Prologue", from 1:07-end.

right. but i totally forgot that there was new music in the film version that was left off the prologue part that was in the end credits. i do remember that conversation back in july or whatever.  so this whole time my end credits edit seemed like the film version.

so between that and never listening to the blu ray rip of the credits, i thought i was waking up to new music on a monday. which i kinda am cause it's new to me lol.

Right, but it wasn't "left off", it's tracked music that wasn't intended to be there.  The OST album is fine.  it's the film that has tomfoolery.

Yeah, whoever picked it, picked a cool piece of music to stuff in there.  And as an added bonus, it's completely unreleased music we never would have heard otherwise!

Didn't The Last Jedi's end credits feature the Holdo's Resolve stuff that wasn't on the OST album?

The Lost World featured the alt end credits opening that wasn't on the OST album too

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

Didn't The Last Jedi's end credits feature the Holdo's Resolve stuff that wasn't on the OST album?

Yes

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Lost World featured the alt end credits opening that wasn't on the OST album too

Yes, but that was intended to be there. Was Holdo's Resolve intended by JW for the Credits or did they add it in for the runtime?

It looks like it was re-recorded as part of an end credits piece

On 26/05/2020 at 3:01 PM, Jay said:

20 Finale (9:03)

1. 0:00-0:24 = 9M86 Old Friends (continued)
  2. 0:24-0:52 = 9M87 Finale, Pt. III 
  3. 0:52-1:29 = End Credit
  4. 1:30-2:44 = End Credit Part 2
  5. 2:44-3:54 = End Credit Part 3
  6. 3:54-5:10 = Rose’s Turn
  7. 5:10-7:17 = End Credit Part 3 {continued} 
  8. 7:17-end = End Credit Part 4

So now that my dumbass has got on track....doesn't that bit sound extremely like something that would be in the Disney Star Wars.  I can't get it out of my head when I hear it.

16 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

So now that my dumbass has got on track....doesn't that bit sound extremely like something that would be in the Disney Star Wars.  I can't get it out of my head when I hear it.

Yeah, it does sound like something John Williams would write in the 2020's/2010's doesn't it..

Oh wait...

I mean it sounds more SW esque than usual but if you're trying to 'get one on me' I already called myself dumbass so I really don't care.  I'm just happy I didn't get the typical 'presto aktchually' unless that is one?