Hans Zimmer's DUNE PART TWO (2024)

Mephariel

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

New singles for Part Two.

And tracklist

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20240215811726/en/Dune-Part-Two-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack-Music-by-Hans-Zimmer-Available-February-23rd

Tracklist

1. Beginnings Are Such Delicate Times
  2. Eclipse
  3. The Sietch
  4. Water of Life
  5. A Time of Quiet Between the Storms
  6. Harvester Attack
  7. Worm Ride
  8. Ornithopter Attack
  9. Each Man Is a Little War
  10. Harkonnen Arena
  11. Spice
  12. Seduction
  13. Never Lose Me
  14. Travel South
  15. Paul Drinks
  16. Resurrection
  17. Arrival
  18. Southern Messiah
  19. The Emperor
  20. Worm Army
  21. Gurney Battle
  22. You Fought Well
  23. Kiss the Ring
  24. Only I Will Remain

thought the same :D but i really like the cues.

The percussions in „Harvester Attack“ oO 

Release 23.02

Tracklist: 

Beginnings Are Such Delicate Times

Eclipse

The Sietch

Water of Life

A Time of Quiet Between the Storms

Harvester Attack

Worm Ride

Ornithopter Attack

Each Man Is a Little War

Harkonnen Arena

Spice

Seduction

Never Lose Me

Travel South

Paul Drinks

Resurrection

Arrival

Southern Messiah

The Emperor

Worm Army

Gurney Battle

You Fought Well

Kiss the Ring

Only I Will Remain

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20240215811726/en/Dune-Part-Two-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack-Music-by-Hans-Zimmer-Available-February-23rd

20 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

The first one sounds like Bladerunner somehow.

If Blade Runner was set in a Middle Eastern city :lol: But yeah, Villeneuve

The second track is pure sound design, it's not fun to listen to but it might go well with the movie. It reminded me a bit of Horner's Avatar (but without the orchestra of course).

I am loving the fact that he is finally able to put some of his sketchbook themes to good use. The opening of House Atreides was never used in the actual Dune film. Now it is in full form.

The action track sounds fairly generic for my taste, but I really like the other track. As mentioned above, it was a great theme from the sketches album that was never expanded upon, so it's nice to hear it here in full. Really looking forward to both the film and the score!

Also, I see there's a track called Eclipse in there. Could it be related to Pink Floyd's song? It's probably unrelated to that, but who knows. After all, Zimmer did a cover of that song for the first movie, I think it was for one of the trailers.

31 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

The Dark Phoenix influence is still strong in that 2nd track.

Zimmer always seems bitter that Dark Phoenix never got traction, so it is almost like he is honoring that score in spirit here. The texture here is far more interesting though. 

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

If Blade Runner was set in a Middle Eastern city

There are several middle eastern elements in BLADE RUNNER, especially for the sequences where Deckard walks around the marketplace.

Personally, I didn't get that many BLADE RUNNER vibes in the clip (perhaps some of the Yamaha CS-80-like bits towards the end), but by golly, how I loved that cue! The second cue is a little rougher to get into, but not bereft of value. Bring on the whole thing already!

2 hours ago, Knight of Ren said:

The action track sounds fairly generic for my taste, but I really like the other track. As mentioned above, it was a great theme from the sketches album that was never expanded upon, so it's nice to hear it here in full. Really looking forward to both the film and the score!

Don't know about anyone else, but when Zimmer's in modern blockbuster mode, I don't anticipate anything other than generic action. That's not what that the draw of these scores is - I really like the atmosphere and slightly otherworldly tint of the first score.

The action will probably be generic pap in this one too but when he's given a new, interesting story and canvas for extended pieces, he could do some engaging music.

1 hour ago, Mephariel said:

Zimmer always seems bitter that Dark Phoenix never got traction, so it is almost like he is honoring that score in spirit here. The texture here is far more interesting though. 

I can easily see why it didn't - it's a load of droning and stringing for an hour.

... which I happen to rather like in this case as a nice background listen when doing something else, but it's not a work of art.

18 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Don't know about anyone else, but when Zimmer's in modern blockbuster mode, I don't anticipate anything other than generic action. That's not what that the draw of these scores is - I really like the atmosphere and slightly otherworldly tint of the first score.

The action will probably be generic pap in this one too but when he's given a new, interesting story and canvas for extended pieces, he could do some engaging music.

I can easily see why it didn't - it's a load of droning and stringing for an hour.

... which I happen to rather like in this case as a nice background listen when doing something else, but it's not a work of art.

Yeah Dark Phoenix definitely isn't one of my favorites, but the unique panic choir texture was genuinely interesting and I am glad he brought it to Dune.

I get Blade Runner vibes in the last minute or so of the first piece above but the tone of the track is overall so much more positive than BR. I like the tune as well - a trademark Zimmer thing that's simple but memorable.

25 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

But there were so many of them, more than there's on earth.

That is where Lorne got his idea for the 500 musicians around the globe for his Dead Reckoning score.

This concept could be called "Quantity over Quality". 

I don’t know why I’m already thinking about this so much but given the contents of “Dune: Messiah” I’m super excited to see what Zimmer does for that story. Much darker and more introspective. Hope he delves into the cosmic mystery and hopelessness towards the end of “Dune: Part II.”

I am curious to learn how Zimmer will use themes moving forward. Zimmer said the opening of House Atreides will serve as the main theme of the movie. Based on the clips, the Arrakis/Fremen theme will return. With so many additional characters and storylines, it will be interesting to learn if any will be musically represented (or need to be).  

14 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

The only thing I liked in Dune 1 score was this theme a 1:09 here. Is this a theme? What does it represent? And will it return in Dune 2?

That's one of the bigger themes in the score. Represents Paul's vision and future

Heck, that theme repeats itself throughout even that one track.

(Though I prefer the film mix which has heavier emphasis on the organ)

2 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

That's one of the bigger themes in the score. Represents Paul's vision and future

I call this the Arrakis theme. Sort of Paul's harnessing the power of Arrakis or being led by it. I think this is even more clear if you seen the sandworm riding clip. 

3 hours ago, Mephariel said:

I call this the Arrakis theme. Sort of Paul's harnessing the power of Arrakis or being led by it. I think this is even more clear if you seen the sandworm riding clip. 

In my thematic analysis I called it the A section of the Dune Main Theme, while the B section is the guitar/cello melody heard in Leaving Caladan after the A section plays in the beginning and together with the B section.

They are often played together but maybe they’re separate themes, I’m not sure.

I always thought Zimmer use that theme in Leaving Caladan to symbolize the beckoning from Arrakis. And the theme plays again when Paul first step foot out into the desert and also in the finale when Paul chooses to go into the desert with the Fremen. So that is why I called it the Arrakis theme.

Digging through social media, it's looking more and more like Part Two will be released on vinyl and CD by Mutant (which was founded by former Mondo founders) this Friday (maybe a pre-order, but hopefully not). Greg Ruth will likely provide the art (as he did for the physical releases of all Part One music).  

We'll see on Friday...

A lot „alternates“ from the cue „song of the sisters“ from the scatchbook! Love it!

Worm Army is brutal oO The Emperor is powerful!

Kiss the Ring is the best version from „A Time of Quiet…“ beautiful! I think this is the last cue from the film! 

15 minutes ago, badbu said:

A lot „alternates“ from the cue „song of the sisters“ from the scatchbook! Love it!

Worm Army is brutal oO 

Kiss the Ring is the best version from „A Time of Quiet…“ beautiful! I think this is the last cue from the film! 

So you're saying the album isn't chronological?

Idk…but the cue „Kiss the ring“ is so powerful at the end (big build up) so i think this could be the last cue.

Only i will remain sounds like the end credits and Lisan al Gaib maybe o bonus track. But i will find it out on Wednesday :) 

56 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I expected it to be long (I even expected longer), but that's OK. I whittled the first one down to a smokin' 52 minutes, and can do the same with this.

I don't know if it is any indication that there is an expanded version is coming but the ISRC codes for this album have a gap at the end - about 7 cues. USNLR2400092 until USNLR2400098 are not on the album. "Lisan al Gaib" is USNLR2400099. 🤷🏻‍♂️

4 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Cover art and full tracklist with times:

1600x1600bb.webp

1 Beginnings Are Such Delicate Times 8:56
2 Eclipse 5:13
3 The Sietch 2:34
4 Water of Life 3:06
5 A Time of Quiet Between the Storms 4:21
6 Harvester Attack 3:40
7 Worm Ride 2:19
8 Ornithopter Attack 2:10
9 Each Man Is a Little War 1:21
10 Harkonnen Arena 5:22
11 Spice 0:37
12 Seduction 2:02
13 Never Lose Me 1:16
14 Travel South 1:10
15 Paul Drinks 1:47
16 Resurrection 2:16
17 Arrival 1:40
18 Southern Messiah 5:22
19 The Emperor 1:38
20 Worm Army 3:33
21 Gurney Battle 2:25
22 You Fought Well 1:42
23 Kiss the Ring 3:12
24 Only I Will Remain 6:44
25 Lisan al Gaib 6:36
Total: 81:02

5 hours ago, badbu said:

and some music will be missing again…like always :D 

Zimmer at least always finds a way to give us the most popular missing tracks on his FYC releases.

Pity that wont be for a long time now.