What specific segment of music made you love JW's music?

King Mark

I'm NOT talking about an entire score(so don't just reply Empire Strikes Back),but the very first specific cue that,as far as you can remember,made you fall in love with JW's music when you heard it.

Example:when i heard the Harry Potter trailer or the Jurassic Park TV commercial,or when the Imperial March blasted over the star destroyers approaching Hoth...

search your memories carefully...

K.M.who knows Morn will reply Empire Strikes Back anyways

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very difficult to say. All throughout my younger years (6 onwards) i remember listening to JW in movies and not realizing who had even wrote it (you dont care about such things when that age). We would all charge around the playing fields at school with our fist out in front of us pretending to be Superman and humming the march theme. Same goes for E.T music, Raiders March, Temple of Doom, Empire strikes back, ROTJ etc. So JW music has been with me for a loooooong time really. And i've always liked it even though i never had any idea it was the same fella writing it. After Temple of Doom, i probably heard less of his work just due to the sort of movies i watched or whatever. So.....If i searched hard though, i could say that the cue which Fired an actual "fanship" in his music when i was in my teens, and got me collecting his works on CD's was "Journey to the Island" from Jurassic Park. Like Ray, i was also blown away when that camera tilted up to reveal the helicopter and island, with that music blasting away. Sent shivers up my spine in the movie house. I've overplayed that so much since 1993, that it has much less impact now. but i would say that was probably the cue which really got me hooked on JW again. And of course, not long afterwards we had the superb Schindler's List.

We would all charge around the playing fields at school with our fist out in front of us pretending to be Superman and humming the march theme.

Ah, yes. I remember those times. Much like Pryor did also in Suoerman III when he uncovered his shirt trying to reveal an "S" perhaps beneath. And also when he was ecplaining when Superman saved the Colombian tornados.

well,as a unusually geeky kid i used to record TV themes off the TV on a portable recorder,and yes,Lost in Space season 3 opening title(more specifically) was my favourite of all,but i dind't know who was JW yet,i only found out much later he wrote that.I also remember I liked the "danger" motif and "cliffhanger" music at the end of the show.

the first time I knew who his name was was with Star Wars and i noticed the score in the film,but the cue I first really listened to a lot over and over was "The Star Wars Theme",which i had taped off the End Credits of The Star Wars Holliday Special.I lost the tape,but I remember it was an edited version(i think) of the Star Wars theme played fast like in the movie End Credits(although there was *something* different,maybe it was a special recording).

then after ,when i saw the Empire strikes back,the Imperial March over the stardestroyer scene is what i remember first,and i remember trying to hum it after the movie was finished as long as i'd remember the notes untill the next time I saw the film.Also the Han and Leia theme,when it's played really loud in the carbonfreeze sequence.I guess that sealed my eternal fandom

K.M.

Leaving Ingrid, no doubt about it. I wasn't any familiar with Williams back then and I thought they actually used some snippets from the first Sibelius' symphony or something similar to go with the scene in the movie. I wanted to have that piece, went to a store the other day, spotted the soundtrack at the shopwindow there and went to look up the particular title I was after. It was the fall of 1997 when I thought soundtracks were merely (and commonly) comprised of selected classical pieces so I was stunned to see it was written specially for the movie by someone I'd never heard of before. I thought this wasn't the way things worked--like that someone sits down and writes music for a movie. I was puzzled. But in spite of that, I got the soundtrack.

I would love to say Journey to the Island was the key cue, but it left me cold when I saw the picture on silver screen. Lost World came out short after Tibet here and I went to see it and I remember I recognized the name of the composer and I was quite in love with the score during the screening (it was simplified by "knowing whom I'm listening to"). So, the Lost World was my second soundtrack by Williams, third in total, and then came Amistad and I was lost in fondness for Williams' music for years to come.

My father recalls I cried hard during E.T. Is Dying and End Credits roll, and he vaguely remembers I said I loved the "songs" that were played along those scenes and that I wanted him to buy me a tape of it. I never got the tape or record with music from E.T., it was when I turned 12 and I got some record by Boney M instead... :-)

Star Wars and Indy would have likely done the job for me, but I had never seen/heard them until 1999 and 2000 respectively.

I'm keeping sales slips of all film and classical CDs that I got after 1997 so I would know when I bought which CD.

Ummmmm all of them! :)

Well OK ....... almost all!

Seriously though if I had to pick out the one that first REALLY got me into JW it would be the music from the final Death Star Attack in the original Star Wars.

The music is GODLY! :eek:

Journey to the Island, too. I left the theaters humming it. And then I forgot it existed. But that was hard to do with the dino-mania that was around when Jurassic Park came out. Soon, a friend of mine had the Jurassic Park theme (only that cue) in a CD and I asked him to hum it over and over, because I didn't have musical memory yet and I couldn't memorise it. And then some mornings I would wake up humming that theme, in the painful wait between the movie coming out of theaters and the movie coming out on video.

When the movie was out on video, and I watched it, I echoed Hammond's "There it is". But I was of course, referring to the music that had been playing in the back of my head all those months.

-Ross, who recorded the end credits on tape, and a few months later tape broke from overuse.

wow it's journey to the island for me too!!!!!!

i agree with melange, jw's music has been around me for a while, but it was that cue that fanned me.

Star Wars Main Title, that kept in my mind since the first time I watched a TV spot of the movie. But I only listened to the music in a tape about 10 years later.

JOURNEY TO THE ISLAND, ha-HA, one of the many people who loves this piece.

It was just a fantastic piece of music that perfectly defined the moment in the movie. Also pop it in your car and roll down the windows when you're next to somebody blasting out the JP theme!

Ross, who recorded the end credits on tape, and a few months later tape broke from overuse.

LOL, my dad recorded the end credits music onto a cassette for me as well. Those were our pre-CD days.

Ray Barnsbury-whose real first JW exposure was to The Superman March and Love Theme on his dad's Pops in Space album

For me, no true one moment other than the possibility of loving the music in "The Story Of Star Wars" mini-book-&-record set.

I'm not that easy to win over, so as a little 4-6 year old boy, the total sum of Star Wars, Superman, and Empire Strikes Back as the big 1-2-3, followed by Raiders, E.T., and Return Of The Jedi, led to me eventually being a Williams fan for life.

The very first JW piece I became obsessed with was the NBC News Fanfare. When I was around 2 or 3 years old, hearing that theme always used to herald bath-time as it played on the TV set that my dad was watching.

But the cue that really got me obsessed with JW was hearing the Force Theme play during Binary Sunset, and it remains to this day my favorite Williams theme of all.

-Frank (of course I still visit!)

It was EASILY The Force theme. Binary Sunset, bay-bee! God, I dunno how many times I'd stand outside (I lived then and still live now in the barren wasteland of desert outside of Phoenix) and look out on the horizon, with that music in my head. Hoo boy.

I also remember one SPECIFIC day when I was a kid that I suddenly had the revelation that all my favorite music was done by the same guy. I started looking on the backs of all our videos and watching the end credits of the movies - "Hey, this John Williams guys did Jurrassic Park too? Whoa, he's also on ET! What the - he did Home Alone? You're kidding me!" That was a particularly good day, I'd say.

The first moment for me was Journey to the Island from JP in the movies. It just blew me away!

When I was younger I used to always love the 'Journey to the Island' since I saw Jurassic Park. And as it was impossible to avoid hearing the Star Wars main title some way or another I found myself humming it incessantly. But the thing that made me stop every time someone said "John" and "Williams" in the same sentence was hearing 'Hedwig's Theme' on the Philosopher's Stone trailer. Since then my collection has increased substantially, and after buying the albums it's fascinating to see how after all those years of forgetting music from his movies I saw as a child it all comes rushing back to meet me. I'm talking specifically of the 'Hook' soundtrack, the last time I saw that movie before I got the album was nine years beforehand.

well,as a unusually geeky kid i used to record TV themes off the TV on a portable recorder

I feel a certain empathy with you there, as i used to do that with everything. When there is no other way, then what else can we do?. I used to record entire programs off the TV onto tape and enjoy them endlessly. Programs like Red Dwarf and Blackadder, before any concept such as releasing them on Video came into somebodys mind. It was all audio pleasure. :thumbup:

You mean Korah Rahtahmah?

Yeah, the music video of Duel of the Fates was awesome, and I was on the verge of actually buying the Ep 1 OST back in '99. Only I didn't. I bought my first JW album in the summer of 2001. It was Jurassic Park.

- Marc, sings: Korah, Mahtah, Korah, Rahtahmah! :thumbup:

It was EASILY The Force theme. Binary Sunset, bay-bee! God, I dunno how many times I'd stand outside (I lived then and still live now in the barren wasteland of desert outside of Phoenix) and look out on the horizon, with that music in my head. Hoo boy.

Ahhh yeah that is a priceless moment. Only about 45 seconds long, but man it creates so much emotion in than 3/4 of a minute. :(

I too am old enough to remember watching Lost In Space as a child, but didn't connect the music with the name John Williams at the time. That moment came for me a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away ... okay, it was in a small town of Michigan in 1977. ;)

I was in a darkened theater, and, after hearing the opening notes of the Star Wars music as the text rolled up the screen, became a lifelong fan. I still remember going out and buying the album and even the Meco disco version. :oops:

~Mari

I said it many times before, for me it's been Journey to the Island as well; the scene where the waves crush upon Isla Nublar's shores and the helicopter entering the island's sky...it gave me thrills and made me realize movies have actually music! I remember myself wondering the rest of the movie if the credits were going to say who composed this music... ;) This moment made that nowadays music is such an important part of my life.

Leaving Ingrid

Listening to the concert last night, i heard that theme in one commercial, but it was different! ;)

I think it had some cello or contrabass.

Anyone could tell me what version it is or what CD is it from?

I'm curious...I dunno......hard question to ask/answer, but what kind of reaction did people here have to the binary sunset scene in Episode IV when it was first in theaters? I would probably guess that I would think something like, "Wow...this is something special......"

But the cue that really got me obsessed with JW was hearing the Force Theme play during Binary Sunset, and it remains to this day my favorite Williams theme of all.

-Frank

That was it for me too - that fantastic horn solo, and the way he set it up so it wasn't intrusive, but just perfect for the moment and the suns and the wind in Luke's hair. It was perfect, and as a horn player I've realized how difficult it is to play but how simple it sounds once you've gotten it right. I've practiced that solo (and all the others - Luke & Leia, Han Solo & the Princess, etc.) for hours and hours and it's still my favorite Williams theme.

That was it for me too - that fantastic horn solo, and the way he set it up so it wasn't intrusive, but just perfect for the moment and the suns and the wind in Luke's hair. It was perfect, and as a horn player I've realized how difficult it is to play but how simple it sounds once you've gotten it right. I've practiced that solo (and all the others - Luke & Leia, Han Solo & the Princess, etc.) for hours and hours and it's still my favorite Williams theme.

That's cool, I play horn too, and I also really love playing those themes. Most of them of course feature horn solos in the films or concert arrangements, so it's natural that they'd be so great for the instrument. Out of curiosity, are you playing them from the Star Wars horn books, or do you have some other source?

Ray Barnsbury

• 3 weeks later...

That's cool, I play horn too, and I also really love playing those themes.  Most of them of course feature horn solos in the films or concert arrangements, so it's natural that they'd be so great for the instrument.  Out of curiosity, are you playing them from the Star Wars horn books, or do you have some other source?

Ray Barnsbury

I'm playing them from an arrangement I did myself, as my senior thesis. I really wanted to perform those themes myself and didn't think I'd get the chance with an orchestra or anything, so I wrote this arrangement to play on my recitals. :-)

Which Star Wars horn books are you referring to?

That's awesome . . . I was referring to the solo instrumental books (can't remember the publisher) of the SW Special Edition, TPM, and AOTC, and actually I have the trumpet ones since I switched early this year. I play them on horn, though.

Ray Barnsbury

It must have been Jaws, which i saw when I was 11 years old.

I was always humming that theme in my head.

Though i had no idea who wrote it, or any knowledge about the concept of film music really.

My first big Williams moment that clinched it was in 1993, during the Journey To The Island.

The moment that trumpet set in that wonderfull theme i was sold forever.

Thank you very much Mr. Williams.

Stefancos- who would be listening to Obie Trice now if he had not seen Jurassic Park at that vulnerable age.

Nobody The Raiders March? Anyone? Gee.

I first heard it on a compilation album with classical music from Sony: Autumn Almanac 1991 or something. It had the march on it to promote the Spielberg Williams Collaboration, which my father got me then. Subsequently I was hooked by Parade of the Slave Children and of course Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra, although I didn't even know who Indiana Jones wás...

I found out later.

Luckily.

Hedwig's theme on the harry potter trailer. I envy you guys. You all have been a fan for decades ive been a fan for about two or three years.