The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find Lost to be unexceptional in most ways,

but Marc I wish I was surprise you enjoy such mediocrity. Yawn :roll:

Has anyone heard Lost?? it is scored very well.

i think it's very well scored. His music gets under your skin and adds to the terror. And the "Going To Commercial" horn blasts are great!!!

But there is more to his scores then the scary stuff. Twice his music made me well up. Those that have seen the series will know the two parts I'm talking about.... "the lost of a loved one" episode and "the launching of the boat" episode. Both my wife and I were crying like babies. My wife even made a comment on how beautiful and fitting the music was.

Michael has written some great music for the series and I hope I get to hear it on CD soon.

-Erik-

Yesl, but the best bits are when locke walks for the time after the crash in the episode called walkabout, and the music just after the crash in the pilot and jack takes in what just happens, I ripped those tracks myself out of the tv broadcasts ;)

Oh yes, the finale from Walkabout was awesome.

I'm rather miffed, though. Lost is on summer halt here, and in rude fashion. They just stopped showing it halfway through. It won't start again until september. I hope I'll get back into it quickly. ROTFLMAO

Whew-- I just barely escaped the Lost spoilers.

Please label your spoilers, guys!

We're only just getting the show here in France, during the summer. We're a bit more than halfway through-- seeing as they're showing them three at a time (channels usually air such series 2-3 episodes at a time, so that, thanks to their oh so great genius, it's over in fewer than 2 months, and we have to wait 10 whole months before getting the next season, with ample time to forget absolutely everything; and then, they'll program the next season in the middle of the night).

Good music, though I wonder how it will play on album; there had better be wome concert arrangements, or some pretty well edited suites.

On Sky High, I think the score was pretty unremarkable. It's the same sort of serious-but-not-too-serious stuff from The Incredibles. Judging from his upcoming projects, Giacchino won't have a chance to spread his wings theatrically until something new comes along. It's ironic that his most moving and dramatic music has been on TV. FYI, Alias Season 2 has been on iTunes for awhile. If you try anything, get "Do I Have to Write Another Eulogy?" It's flat-out amazing.

• 4 weeks later...

The original version of this thread was experienceing errors. The Potter thread was not. You can read the last post of that thread here on page 25, even though it says there are 26 pages.

Neil

I knew there was errors, but i thought it was for taking a lot of time too load due to length of pages...

But i think this error happens sometimes, the last post in a page creates the new page but without any posts, when another is posted, the new page run perfectly. I think i have seen this other times.

But well, im sorry, not your fault

Just loaded up my Netflix que with a few discs from Lost. I never saw any when they originally aired, but saw maybe 10 during the reruns this summer. I definitely want to get up by September 21st.

THE NOMS

Outstanding Music Composition For A Series (Dramatic Underscore)

Carnivale • Jeff Beal

House • Christopher Hoag

Lost • Michael Giacchino

The Simpsons • Alf Clausen

24 • Sean Callery

Outstanding Music Composition For A Miniseries, Movie Or A Special (Dramatic Underscore)

Miracle Run • Joseph Conlan

Pride • George Fenton

Revelations • Joseph Vitarelli

Salem’s Lot • Lisa Gerrard, Christopher Gordon

Sometimes In April • Bruno Coulais

Warm Springs • Bruce Broughton

Outstanding Music Direction

Broadway: The American Musical • Matthias Gohl, Music Supervisor, Arranger and Producer

A Christmas Carol • Michael Kosarin, Music Produced and Adapted Underscore

Christmas In Washington • Ian Fraser, Music Director

Genius: A Night For Ray Charles • Rickey Minor, Music Director

The Little Prince (Great Performances) • Rachel Portman

Outstanding Music And Lyrics

Malcolm In The Middle • Dewey’s Opera - Song: The Marriage Bed • Charles Sydnor, Eric Kaplan

The Muppets’ Wizard Of Oz • Song: I’m With You • Michael Giacchino, Jeannie Lurie, Adam Cohen, Debra Frank, Steve Hayes

Reefer Madness • Song: Mary Jane/Mary Lane • Dan Studney, Kevin Murphy

The Simpsons • A Star Is Torn - Song: Always My Dad • Alf Clausen, Carolyn Omine

Terror at Home: Domestic Violence in America • Song: The Tears of the Angels • Michael Bolton

Outstanding Main Title Theme Music

Desperate Housewives • Danny Elfman

Foster’s Home For Imaginary Friends • James L. Venable

Huff • W.G. “Snuffy” Walden

Justice League Unlimited • Michael McCuistion

Stargate Atlantis • Joel Goldsmith

THE WINNERS

Outstanding Music Composition For A Series (Dramatic Underscore):

Michael Giacchino, Lost (the pilot).

Outstanding Music Composition For A Miniseries, Movie Or A Special (Dramatic Underscore):

Bruce Broughton, Warm Springs.

Outstanding Music and Lyrics:

Dan Studney and Kevin Murphy, "Mary Jane/Mary Lane" from Reefer Madness.

Outstanding Main Title Theme Music:

Danny Elfman, Desperate Housewives.

-Erik-

Well, I'm really glad three REAL composers (Giacchino, Elfman, Broughton) won the coveted trophy. Anyway, I also LOVE Alf Clausen's music for The Simpsons. He's a freakin' musical genius!

When deciding to assign the music awards, it seems the Emmy Academy has better ears than the A.M.P.A.S.! :nono:

Give him my congrats, erik :)

Michael says "THANKS... it means a lot that you all have been so supportive."

Thought I'd post that for you all!

-Erik-

eh...uh...oh god....

Michael has spoken to JWfans..... :P

ALIAS has great music on it. 2nd Season was my favorite by far for its story telling and general stylistic sensibilities. But I can see why LOST got nominated and won. The music is far more essential to the narrative design. It's actually another character on the island. And Giacchino's music has got to be some of the most moving I have ever heard for a television series. It's emotive without falling into syrup or sappy territory. I also really hope that we'll all see a soundtrack release in the near future. It will be at the top of my list.

BTW- are there any music bits on the DVD supplementry section with Michael in there? Anyone? Beuller?

BTW- are there any music bits on the DVD supplementry section with Michael in there?  Anyone?   Beuller?

Just a bit. Somewhere in the multi-part documentary on making the pilot, Mike talks about how he had pieces of the plane's wreckage sent over to the studio so that he'd have some unique instruments to play. ;)

Perhaps you can answer this for me, Erik. I was wondering about Muppet Monster Adventure. (I've never played the game.) Did Michael write other songs besides "I Will Survive" and "Kermambo"? And what about score?

This weekend I wrapped up my Lost marathon just time for season 2 on Wednesday night. The score really caught me off guard for how good it is. The horn blasts to commercials are great, but I really love the end credits theme. Will definitely be getting the cd whenever it is released. I must say that for me it easily ranks up there with the first season of 24. Perfectly cast show with excellent flashback stories. Very well done from top to bottom.

The horn blasts to commercials are great, but I really love the end credits theme.

Great. Both get cut in the Dutch broadcast. :|

I did get to see a few episodes this summer and the horn blasts were there. However, the end credits were new to me on the DVDs as I do not recall having heard it before. Don't worry, at least you'll get to hear it if and when the soundtrack is released.

Perhaps you can answer this for me, Erik. I was wondering about Muppet Monster Adventure. (I've never played the game.) Did Michael write other songs besides "I Will Survive" and "Kermambo"? And what about score?

I think he wrote all the songs... I'll have the check the CD to hear how many there are. And the score it quite amusing. Very goofy music.

-Erik-

I did get to see a few episodes this summer and the horn blasts were there.

Yes but you are not Dutch...right?

That has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make.

I think he wrote all the songs... I'll have the check the CD to hear how many there are.  And the score it quite amusing.  Very goofy music.

Check..."the CD"...??? :eek: Can I borrow "the CD"? :|

Seriously, you should have him contact his Disney people and try to get some of this (and his Oz score) released. Disney is planning on releasing a bunch of Muppet CDs soon. And if "The Best of the Muppets featuring the Muppets' Wizard of Oz" album is any indication, they don't mind doing weird compilations.

Your point was not clear and your sentence was dubious.

I was unclear of my geographic location. However, since he already mentioned that the particular music discussed did not air in the Netherlands, why would I contest otherwise? If I were Dutch I wouldn't have seen it as well thereby adding superflous information

• 3 weeks later...

Having downloaded the whole series 1 of Lost before I came to university, I've watched it solidly and am excited about an album release. Some of the action music would be grand, but much of the pacey score is punctuating, with few actual 'cues'. It's the tender moments you can really enjoy and pick up on themes and motifs, especially the more emotionally weighty scenes towards the end. 2-disc with a bit of everything would be marvellous, but I doubt we'll get it.

• 3 weeks later...
A Shocker!  Graeme Revell is now scoring the Call of Duty sequel.

http://www.musicfromthemovies.com/article.asp?ID=497

Wow!  None of us saw this one coming!

-Erik-

Bought COD2 a few days ago and while I wish Giacchino had done the sequel, Revell's score is very good. I've only gone through the Russian campaign and his Russian themes are great

Max