The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see Joe vs Steef in a live chat battle of the wits. With the rest of the board as judges to the winner. And then the next week two new blokes fight it out.

Stefan would kick me to the curb, then he'd try and take some of my cd's except he'd find his collection was superior, and there was nothing for him to take. Then he'd bitch slap himself for wasting his time.

• 4 weeks later...

Well for the second time this year Michael Giacchino's site has been reworked. This time with mixed results.

http://www.michaelgiacchino.com/

It seems the person who built this only ever tested it on Internet Explorer and completly diregarded every other browser out there especially firefox.

In firefox, images don't fit the way they are supposed to, scroll bars on various sections just don't appear, and the text doesn't hold any formating and changes from page to page.... hopefully Giacchino didn't pay this company too much because it just looks unprofessional.

in IE on the other hand it looks pretty good

Brian99_1

who wouldn't let his employees release a site like that!

And what is up with the news? The last few entries seem very grammatically fishy to me...

AUGUST 27th, 2006

Varese Sarabande in his upcoming release section, let us know that the score for Season 2 of TV series Lost, will be release at October, 3rd, at the same time will be release the Season 2 on DVD.

Maybe it's due to the fact that they have yet to actually finalize the deal legally.

But Giacchino is supposed to to have scored the trailer of MOH AB already, and should be making the score right now...

• 2 weeks later...

I got it on Napster last night. Kind of cool since its not supposed to be released in UK until next Monday. Napster must have got confused with the region 2 DVD release date and released early.

I’ve listened to it a couple of times and I am very impressed. There is some beautiful string writing, especially in 'Rose and Bernard' and 'Bon Voyage, Traitor’. The themes from season 1 don’t show up too often. What I would call the ‘main theme’ from the show appears in ‘Shannon’s Funeral’ and the music that we heard at the launch of the raft makes a strong re-appearance in ‘The Gathering’.

I think I heard Locke’s theme very briefly but can’t just now remember which track it was. We do however get to hear Syid's and Charlie's themes which I dont believe we did on the first CD.

I'm listening to it right now. Man, that's so great! There's plenty of good stuff... "The Gathering" is a heart-wrenching cue, really moving, as is "Hurley's Handouts".

And I just love all that "ponticello" strings & sliding trombones writing... very daunting stuff, especially if you consider it's written for a television show.

Giacchino continues to impress me more and more. Oh... and I want to see the Season 3 first episode NOW! :)

Oy, I haven't even ordered that CD yet. I'll do it in a week or so. I'll order it along with the expanded Stargate, so it probably won't even get shipped before Stargate is officially released.

- Marc, still in doubt over whether to order via Varèse or Collosseum.

Because he has a strong following by those who know he is not the next John Williams but a composer who hopefully has a bright career in front of him.

Colloseum should had cheaper shipping fees. Shouldn't it?

But you never know :P

Well, the shipping is cheaper, but the CDs are actually more expensive, so I still come out best ordering from Varèse. As long as it goes through customs they way all previous orders below four CDs have done for me before. But last time, when I had an order of 5 from Varèse, instead of being packaged in a white bubble-wrap envelope, it came in a brown cardboard package, got stopped at customs, took a month to get delivered, and I had to pay 17.50 at ruddy import fees. ;)

Morn,

You probably have the longest run with the same avatar on this board. Maybe in the history of all boards.

Respect man. Respect. :(

• 3 months later...
I wonder if there's a chance of an Alias: Season 3 album in the near future. I do hope Lost hasn't entirely replaced it on Varèse's priority list.

Unfortunately I wouldn't hold our breath... It seems Alias is almost all but forgotten since it went off the air. Except maybe by Chris Tilton who put the full score to the game on his site (Which got a pretty decent re-design back in Sept which I believe is thanks to Cinemusic creator Ryan Keaveney of Klaatu Media.)

Brian99_1

I wonder if there's a chance of an Alias: Season 3 album in the near future. I do hope Lost hasn't entirely replaced it on Varèse's priority list.

Unfortunately I wouldn't hold our breath... It seems Alias is almost all but forgotten since it went off the air. Except maybe by Chris Tilton who put the full score to the game on his site (Which got a pretty decent re-design back in Sept which I believe is thanks to Cinemusic creator Ryan Keaveney of Klaatu Media.)

Brian99_1

I have the same guess. It's a shame, really. The Alias scores (especially the second season) contain some of Giacchino's best work for a non-videogame format.

On the other hand, I barely ever listen to Lost Vol. 2 since most of the best passages were from the first season. I'd hate to see that happening with other releases. But then again, what do I know? I haven't seen the third season of Alias.

-Ross, who shamefully stopped watching at episode 2x06, although owns the whole set.

• 2 months later...

I'd be quite into another Alias CD, but I'd settle for a compilation of the last three seasons. Season 5 particularly had some extremely strong new themes; the finale had some brilliantly dramatic underscore. I would like to be able to hear Nadia's theme in its entirety though, away from the screen, and it received some good treatment in Season 4.

I won't hold my breath, obviously, but it's unbearable knowing that there's well over 50 hours of music recorded for my favourite TV show that I'll never hear outside the episodes.

This week's Lost Video Podcast is all about the music, featuring interview snippets with Giacchino, a tour of the scoring stage, and some recording session footage.

Not working for me at the moment.

Morlock- who's seen Giacchino on the IGM interview about some video game and The Incredibles DVD

Morlock2- who is still, by the by, dying to get a recording of MG's score to the One Man Band short film

• 2 months later...