Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

2,000 lucky fans had the opportunity to interact with JK Rowling this evening at Carnegie Hall. The reading was rather eventful, as Jo revealed a lot of new information previously unknown about the series.

The most notable news of the night was the revelation of Dumbledore's sexuality. Jo says Dumbledore was gay and in love with Gellert Grindelwald. JK, in response to the audience's reaction, said "If I had known this would have made you so happy, I would have told you years ago."

Not quite as head-turning, but equally significant, Jo announced Neville Longbottom's marriage with Hannah Abbott. Hannah became the new landlady of the Leaky Cauldron.

Other heart-warming (ha!) news was revealed about Petunia Dursley. The night Harry left Privet Drive, Petunia wanted to tell Harry, "I know what you're up against and I hope it turns out okay."

http://mugglenet.com/

Imagine how this must be like for Michael Gambon? His famous HARRYDIDYOUPUTYOURNAMEINTHEGOBLETOFFIRE will now be something like HARRYHAVEYOUBEENWORKINGOUT?

Seems like Dumbledore really "finished off" Grindelwald, eh? Dumbledore's Army? More like Dumbledore's Navy!

You know, I got the feeling that he was when I was reading the book... just how he acted...

I don't mean that in a derogatory sense... "Dumbledoor acted gay!"

no no...

I mean... I kinda sensed it. My gaydar went off hehe...

Don't know how else to explain it...

This is meaningless news to me that masks her real ineptitude. What really bugs me is that she contradicted herself by saying that basing Hermione on herself, she dated a lot of "Rons", meaning they were insensitive jerks, but wound up marrying a Harry. Nice. But, she goes on to say that Harry and Ginny, and Ron and Hermione are "soul mates". Well what the hell is that supposed to mean?! What the frack is this woman smoking?! That doesn't make a lick of sense if she was the Hermione character, but didn't allow Hermione to end up with Harry.

Crazy woman.

This is meaningless news to me that masks her real ineptitude. What really bugs me is that she contradicted herself by saying that basing Hermione on herself, she dated a lot of "Rons", meaning they were insensitive jerks, but wound up marrying a Harry. Nice. But, she goes on to say that Harry and Ginny, and Ron and Hermione are "soul mates". Well what the hell is that supposed to mean?! What the frack is this woman smoking?! That doesn't make a lick of sense if she was the Hermione character, but didn't allow Hermione to end up with Harry.

Crazy woman.

Why are you so obsessed with shipping? Is who ended up with who really so important to the series' outcome to you?

Just for the record, Harry and Ginny have been foreshadowed since book 2, and Ron and Hermione since book 1... It's plain as day. Get over it already.

Of course there is always the possibility that this wasn't a case of primarily introducing acceptance of homosexuality to a generation through the medium of popular stories and characters. But, that it was just a guaranteed "shock" attention getting device she'd cooked up a while ago to guarantee a LOT of money and attention when announced. Perhaps a combination of both? Now, if Harry and the blonde kid were both gay, several teachers at Hogwarts were pedophiles infiltrating the place to eye up the talent , and Dumbeldore was outed as a Mossad Agent. Now THAT would have been an announcement. But in the meantime I can't wait to see the faces of Conservative Christians over this. They're going to self combust about this. :D

Now that the last book is published, she just misses the attention and hoopla. So she thought this one up, to get herself back into the media. That's my guess. JK Rowling is a good storyteller, fantastic even, but nothing more.

Crazy woman.

Why are you so obsessed with shipping? Is who ended up with who really so important to the series' outcome to you?

Just for the record, Harry and Ginny have been foreshadowed since book 2, and Ron and Hermione since book 1... It's plain as day. Get over it already.

Oh, crap. It was Harry/Hermione all the way. And yes, shipping outcomes are important, I don't want see Hermione end up with an abusive selfish little turd like Ron, and Harry ending up with a total shallow whore like Jenny or whoever she was. What a jip. JK Rowling sucks.

Now that the last book is published, she just misses the attention and hoopla. So she thought this one up, to get herself back into the media. That's my guess.

That's a pretty dumb guess.

Now that the last book is published, she just misses the attention and hoopla. So she thought this one up, to get herself back into the media. That's my guess.

That's a pretty dumb guess.

No, dumbo, you got mixed up! That's a pretty guess! :D

If Dumbledore really was a homo, why didn't she include this into the books?

This is just attention-seeking.

Yeah, and also, why did she even mention that, if not to seek attention? What does Dumbledore's sexuality have to do with the price of tea in China?

What does Dumbledore's sexuality have to do with the price of tea in China?

She also revealed, during this reading, that a young Dumbledore professed the delight of Twinings breakfast teas to an entrepreneurial Chinese boy (with whom he had a sensual year-long fling), who later went on to introduce it into the Chinese tea marketplace. This caused a brief sensation among Chinese tea drinkers and its competition with established and traditional Chinese tea brewing companies drove the average price of tea down by a few remnibi.

Good god, Monsignor gets released and Indiana Jones IV is coming soon and we're worried about a fictional character's sexual orientation.

So what if he was gay?

She also revealed, during this reading, that a young Dumbledore professed the delight of Twinings breakfast teas to an entrepreneurial Chinese boy (with whom he had a sensual year-long fling), who later went on to introduce it into the Chinese tea marketplace. This caused a brief sensation among Chinese tea drinkers and its competition with established and traditional Chinese tea brewing companies drove the average price of tea down by a few remnibi.

:D

This is all just rubbish!

2efjn9w.gif

Good god, Monsignor gets released and Indiana Jones IV is coming soon and we're worried about a fictional character's sexual orientation.

So what if he was gay?

I know, it's never relevant to the story whether he's gay or not, and Rowling doesn't use this fact in any way in the books. It's never addressed, and the homosexuality issue is never examined in the books at all. So why bother?

Good god, Monsignor gets released and Indiana Jones IV is coming soon and we're worried about a fictional character's sexual orientation.So what if he was gay?
I know, it's never relevant to the story whether he's gay or not, and Rowling doesn't use this fact in any way in the books. It's never addressed, and the homosexuality issue is never examined in the books at all. So why bother?
That's what I'm saying. In the books, that was never an issue. So why bring it up now?
What does Dumbledore's sexuality have to do with the price of tea in China?
You're right! Wasn't that a subplot in Goblet of Fire? :D:lol::lol:

Um, okay.

Now that the books are done, I don't know how big of a splash this will make. That is, unless they admit it in the films . . .

Other heart-warming (ha!) news was revealed about Petunia Dursley. The night Harry left Privet Drive, Petunia wanted to tell Harry, "I know what you're up against and I hope it turns out okay."

Imagine how this must be like for Michael Gambon? His famous HARRYDIDYOUPUTYOURNAMEINTHEGOBLETOFFIRE will now be something like HARRYHAVEYOUBEENWORKINGOUT?

Seems like Dumbledore really "finished off" Grindelwald, eh? Dumbledore's Army? More like Dumbledore's Navy!

In generalI'm all for gay marriage .

But if no clues of Dumbledore being gay appeared in the books, I can't accept this as canon.

Unless she's already planning to write "HP: The other tales" or something.

Maybe there's some evidence in those other Hp-related books she wrote? like the quidditch book or something?

And plus, to that above statement, he's gay, not a pedophile.

Sigh...

TO JK: Hurry up and finish that new book of yours.

Um, okay.

Now that the books are done, I don't know how big of a splash this will make. That is, unless they admit it in the films . . .

Maybe this revelation will change the way Dumbledore is portayed in the final two movies! Hahaha. :D

Maybe, if JW comes back to score the final movie, he will compose Dumbledore's Gay Theme! :lol:

You know, actually I'm starting to think that JW Rowling was just joking. And the joke simply got out of hand!

Whoops, a Freudian slip there. I wrote JW Rowling, instead of JK Rowling! Hahaha.

Maybe she stated it because she was asked about it?

Yeah I would have liked that to have learnt that in the books, but by telling it outside the books, doesn't that just prove her point that sexuality, gay or straight, should be a non-issue?

Yeah I would have liked that to have learnt that in the books, but by telling it outside the books, doesn't that just prove her point that sexuality, gay or straight, should be a non-issue?

Again, that Dumbledore's sexuality is a non-issue in the books is a given. My question is why bring it up AT ALL???

Thank you! :D

JK Rowling is a good storyteller, fantastic even, but nothing more.

Who claimed she was?

Yeah, and also, why did she even mention that, if not to seek attention?

Uhm, because it was a direct answer to a question my one of the kids in attendance?

It doesn't sound to me like she brought it up herself just to make a big fuzz about it. It doesn't even sound to me like Dumbledore was "supposed" to be gay. More like she never spent too much time dwelling on that issue at all, but if asked who his partner would be, that's what she considers the likely case.

Thank you! :D

JK Rowling is a good storyteller, fantastic even, but nothing more.

Who claimed she was?

Yeah, and also, why did she even mention that, if not to seek attention?

Uhm, because it was a direct answer to a question my one of the kids in attendance?

It doesn't sound to me like she brought it up herself just to make a big fuzz about it. It doesn't even sound to me like Dumbledore was "supposed" to be gay. More like she never spent too much time dwelling on that issue at all, but if asked who his partner would be, that's what she considers the likely case.

I don't have the energy to argue with true Harry Potter aficionados. Believe what you want. It just seems odd to me that she should mention such a detail at all . . .

Thank you! :lol:

Herons. :D

Now that the last book is published, she just misses the attention and hoopla. So she thought this one up, to get herself back into the media. That's my guess. JK Rowling is a good storyteller, fantastic even, but nothing more.

Ummm....no! She was answering a guy's question, and that happened to be the answer. She doesn't seek attention like that, but she's had the entire character's backgrounds and stuff with her all along, and this was just a bit of it. Your guess is wrong.

Again, that Dumbledore's sexuality is a non-issue in the books is a given. My question is why bring it up AT ALL???

This isn't really a spoiler at all, but just in case those people who really don't want to learn anything about the plot:

Well, actually, in a different article on google, it said that she said that Dumbledore

was in love with Grindelwald, and that (along with his desire for power), is what blinded him and made him do terrible things for "The Greater Good."

But in the meantime I can't wait to see the faces of Conservative Christians over this. They're going to self combust about this.

Thanks for the blanket statement, but I'm conservative and a Christian, and I couldn't care less about a person's (fictitious or real) sexual orientation.

Ray Barnsbury - who agrees that Dumbledore's sexuality doesn't have much relevance either way

I agree.

But in the meantime I can't wait to see the faces of Conservative Christians over this. They're going to self combust about this.

Thanks for the blanket statement, but I'm conservative and a Christian, and I couldn't care less about a person's (fictitious or real) sexual orientation.

Ray Barnsbury - who agrees that Dumbledore's sexuality doesn't have much relevance either way

Thank you Ray. I'm also both a conservative and a Christian that will have nothing to do with the loud mouthed, flame throwing attention seekers that claim to speak for the majority of us.

What's more interesting to me is the revelation about Neville, I thought that he and Luna got together despite Rowling's reservations. Did Hannah Abbot have a single line of dialogue in the whole series?

Yeah, it's really quite odd that this would come out (forgive the expression) so late in the game. In any case, I've always preferred to think of Dumbledore as pretty much asexual. Sort of like how you never think of your parents in that way.

Ray Barnsbury

Agreed.

Even if it was a publicity stunt (which it's not), Rowling would wait until a bit after the books are done. I mean, this is only several months, Potter is still the big buzz.