Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks pretty good! I mean, there's always at least a little hint of that creepy they-look-too-old-but-too-young-at-the-same-time thing, but I think it'll be convincing enough.

it looks better on Ginnie than on Harry in those pics, but I figure they will be manipulated for the final film

• 2 weeks later...

The new teaser at Aint it cool news and dark horizon is pretty damn cool. I like the snippet of the dragon, and I love the look of the cast as they are obviously affected by the horcrux. The movie might end up too literal but I wont complain. Rupert looks especially intense.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45382

I didn't think HBP was dull. I was actually pleasantly surprised - till that, the only two films in the series I'd really cared for were SS and POA. (I did, however, enjoy all the books, even though OOTP was my least favorite.)

I thought HBP was horrible...it centered way too much around teen romance, and made all of the relationships seem superficial and tacky. The books always had the perfect balance, and I genuinely cared about the teen breakups when I read them. But the last film was just a waste of time. Plotwise it accomplished next to nothing--and don't forget, this was the longest movie trying to sum up one of the shortest books! There's really no excuse for the massive plot details that were completely ignored. I'm sure they'll be worked into DH somehow, but then what was even the point of HBP as a film?

Rupert looks especially intense.

Yeah, he's long proven himself to be the best actor of the three since, what, GoF?

Oh I completely disagree, Dan more than holds his own.

I think all 3 have been a delight. Watching them grow in their roles over the years has been a pleasure. Same with all the other child characters.

I actually find Rupert Grint to be the weakest of the three, though he still does a fine job. Dan certainly holds his own, as you said, Joey...and Emma Watson's only flaws are that she talks with her eyebrows and she's waaaay hotter than Hermione is supposed to be! ;)

I don't even remember Ron from the last few movies. Was he even in them?

Oh, that's right there was a scene where he takes some love potion. But other than that, I DO NOT remember him.

Yeah, his involvement has been rather limited. Oh well...the final films should afford him some good opportunities to either shine dramatically or...not. We'll see how it goes.

I thought HBP was horrible...it centered way too much around teen romance, and made all of the relationships seem superficial and tacky. The books always had the perfect balance, and I genuinely cared about the teen breakups when I read them. But the last film was just a waste of time. Plotwise it accomplished next to nothing--and don't forget, this was the longest movie trying to sum up one of the shortest books! There's really no excuse for the massive plot details that were completely ignored. I'm sure they'll be worked into DH somehow, but then what was even the point of HBP as a film?

Well said. HBP the film has pretty much killed my interest in seeing the conclusion of the "saga". I may very well re-read the series though.

That Alfonso guy who did POA would probably have been better-suited to the later stories. I thought about this while watching POA on TV a couple weeks back. The shrunken heads were admittedly retarded and the whole thing felt forcibly dark with a laughable pay-off (Sirius is a good guy, obnoxious storyline I don't really care about), but the man had style. The movie is just cool to look at and it's still oozing with a magical feel, something I've found to be lacking in the later movies. That darker, weirder style would have been perfect for those later books, you know, the ones that actually did get dark.

His approach was certainly the most interesting. I have a soft spot for HPSS, but as COS so painfully demonstrates, Columbus's style would not have been appropriate for the whole series.

That teaser was very promising.

What is that place near the end, the wide open plane with a house in the background? Is that the Lovegood's house?

His approach was certainly the most interesting. I have a soft spot for HPSS, but as COS so painfully demonstrates, Columbus's style would not have been appropriate for the whole series.

I also like HPSS but not HPCoS

COS is underrated.

Indeed it is. Branagh alone makes that entry superb.

+1. In fact all the teachers/staff are awesome in this film. :lol:

New, brief interview with Desplat on Deathly Hallows, translated by Mugglenet:

http://www.mugglenet.com/app/news/show/3568

We will start this summer, it will take me all summer, I will not have many holidays, but again it's for good reason, for the soundtrack. I would take every opportunity to use the fabulous theme written by John Williams, I'd say it is not sufficiently used in the latest movies, so if I have the opportunity and if the footage will allow me, I will arrange it, turn away the theme...

That sounds good to me! I really hope he does use it frequently, when appropriate. Awesome that he thinks the other films underused it, which they did.

I am wondering if he will also then use other Potter themes with associated moments, like Williams themes from Prisoner of Azkaban and etc. Or maybe even some stuff from Doyle or Hooper, like in the Ministry of Magic. This could be very interesting.

Oh, and in the latest Mugglecast, they spoke with producer David Heyman, who spoke on how Williams music was great and particularly loved his music for Prisoner of Azkaban, mentioned the "clicking" for the Time Turner segments.

• 3 weeks later...

The music is HILARIOUS. This kind of MV power ballad take on Harry Potter. That kind of thing really appeals to the masses nowadays, huh? I mean, it's Potter. It's going to be huge anyway, they couldn't be above the stereotype of this God awful trailer music? Whatever, it's HILARIOUS! I'm glad I wasn't taking a sip of anything when I heard Hedwig's Theme at the end.

It looks cool, of course.

That's the same variation of Hedwig's Theme they used at the end of the HBP trailer. I think they could've used something more timeless and classy if presenteing the "greatest motion picture event of the generation" or whatever (and of course this distinction would never go to the Potter films), but I agree that the content of the trailer looks pretty exciting.

On the other hand, I'd say the books are the greatest literary event of this generation.

Liked the trailer. I hope they conrinue with an interesting campaign- the first trailer being for both parts is already an interesting surprise.

I wonder what JW would think of the music in this trailer. He'd die on the spot probably

The gentleman is almost 80 and has thus seen many changes to the music scene over his years. He is also an artist and realizes that everything is open to re-interpretation. He's stronger you're giving him credit for, and would just roll with this as a sign of the times.

I'd rather have JW's tapestry of HP themes strained through an MV power synth section than the forgettable wall of bland some of the later movies were scored with.

Anybody know which scenes are from Part I and II? Because I remember reading an interview with Yates, which said that Part I was going to be more like a road-movie and Part II would be more epic, which is more in Williams alley...

People are still holding out hope that Williams will do the last one? Isn't Spielberg doing a movie or two around the time he'd be able to score it?

I can just imagine Spielberg going on some Hollywood news website and reading that Williams may return to score the final Harry Potter movie. Immediately, he schedules several movies and calls up Williams. "Hey, John. I'm gonna need you to go ahead and compose some music for my horse and space movies."

Where's that duel between Voldemort and Harry taking place that you can see at the very end? I sure hope they didn't ditch the confrontation in the Great Hall!

How many confrontations do these two have in this film??? I'm counting three judging from that trailer.

Meh. No offense. The GOF trailers did nothing for me. I think it's the least interesting of all the movies, mainly due to the wizard tournament storyline. Prisoner of Azkaban also has a pretty lame storyline, but there's still something more appealing about it. I remember GOF as the movie where they all had long hair and Voldemort showed up for 5 minutes.

I actually find Rupert Grint to be the weakest of the three, though he still does a fine job. Dan certainly holds his own, as you said, Joey...and Emma Watson's only flaws are that she talks with her eyebrows and she's waaaay hotter than Hermione is supposed to be! ROTFLMAO

Emma Watson looked the part in the first two movies....then she became real hot lol.