Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Grint is the most interesting actor of the three. Emma Watson is not much of an actress at all.

she's quite good, with a nice range,

Grint is overly praised as he has the easiest of the 3 leading roles.

Daniel and Emma do not get their proper due on this site.

Ever since the fourth film, Watson has been all mannerism. Huffy, eyebrow-furrowing, voice breaking...far more performing than acting. Grint has been solid from the get go. Radcliffe has been getting better and better.

Ever since the fourth film, Watson has been all mannerism. Huffy, eyebrow-furrowing, voice breaking...far more performing than acting. Grint has been solid from the get go. Radcliffe has been getting better and better.

she's played her part well. She's at least as talented as Kira Knightley, and just as pretty.

She has terrible diction and enunciation though. All of her lines get completely jumbled together and you can't understand a word of it. Worse than Grint's mumbling, which isn't that bad anymore.

She has terrible diction and enunciation though. All of her lines get completely jumbled together and you can't understand a word of it. Worse than Grint's mumbling, which isn't that bad anymore.

not true at all, if it were the producers would have figured it out and would have provided speaking coaches.

You've simply hated them since the beginning.

I rest my case!

I do rather agree with Morlock - and I still think she speaks with her eyebrows, which is annoying if you pay attention to it - but...well, the photo speaks for itself!

not true at all, if it were the producers would have figured it out and would have provided speaking coaches.

You're an idiot Joe. I've never hated any of them, except Dan at first but he has grown so much and I've come to really enjoy him as an actor. I think he will go far because he seems to have a passion for what he does. Emma was spot-on in the first three films, but once GoF came around her accent became so thick and fast that you can't understand her. She's not awful though. And Rupert has been just right in all 6 movies so far. Sure, he was comic relief for a lot of them, but he owned the role.

So yeah, I guess you could say I've simply hated them from the beginning. Or you could, you know, listen to what I have to say and not put words in people's mouths.

I'm a Nikon guy, but if I were in a position of power at Canon I would instantly get her to sign an endorsement contract! But my is she stunning lol.

Oh goodness, that is a Canon! I think I'm in love.

Joe, I'm glad you are approximately the same age as her, as this thread is starting to creep me out ROTFLMAO

I rest my case!

I do rather agree with Morlock - and I still think she speaks with her eyebrows, which is annoying if you pay attention to it - but...well, the photo speaks for itself!

Hey, at least she's not

I wonder when she'll be back in Providence.

A guy I know claims he almost ran her over. He was cocked, naturally, but he claims that after the near-collision people on the streets were yelling that it was Emma Watson from Harry Potter.

You're an idiot Joe. I've never hated any of them, except Dan at first but he has grown so much and I've come to really enjoy him as an actor. I think he will go far because he seems to have a passion for what he does. Emma was spot-on in the first three films, but once GoF came around her accent became so thick and fast that you can't understand her. She's not awful though. And Rupert has been just right in all 6 movies so far. Sure, he was comic relief for a lot of them, but he owned the role.

So yeah, I guess you could say I've simply hated them from the beginning. Or you could, you know, listen to what I have to say and not put words in people's mouths.

you could have fooled me with the venom you spouted about the early films. Sorry you haven't the guts to admit you're wrong. Emma's accent plays well enough, it's the older characters that are more difficult to understand.

An interesting piece of trivia: It seems that "War Horse" was moved from August to late December, so as DH2 is released on July, I say we got a pretty good chance of having three Williams scores next year! I have no official link whatosever, though, but various members at IMDb are saying it. Anybody know?

An interesting piece of trivia: It seems that "War Horse" was moved from August to late December, so as DH2 is released on July, I say we got a pretty good chance of having three Williams scores next year! I have no official link whatosever, though, but various members at IMDb are saying it. Anybody know?

Is that to say it would clear Williams' schedule for DH2? Is Tin Tin the 3rd score you're referring to? (excuse my ignorance)

Williams has already finished scoring Tin Tin, and that film comes out in November or December of 2011.

With Deathly Hallows 2 in July 2011 and War House in December 2011, he should have time to score both movies if he wants to.

I hate to be a party pooper..but it seems like Williams is uninterested with scoring more Potter films. He had the ability schedule-wise to score DH Part 1 and he didn't, I doubt having the availability to score DH Part 2 will make things any different.

You're probably right. It would be amazing but we should probably keep our hopes down so we're not bitterly disappointed. There's probably 1 in a million chance he'll do it.

I don't know, he always said he would return for the LAST part. And besides, Part 1 is going to have lots and lots of uniteresting underscore. Part 2 is going to be epic, as Yates has said...

Leia: Help me, Williams-One, you're my only hope... ;)

With Deathly Hallows 2 in July and War House in December, he should have time to score both movies if he wants to.

He doesn't.

Rather than promoting it as a two-part film, they should've just made it two seperate films.

The first could be titled "The Deathly Hallows" and the second one could be something like "The Battle of Hogwarts".

It'd just be eight films in the series, instead of 7, one of which is in two parts.

What a mess this franchise is.

Movies 1 and 2, fairly straight-forward interpretations of the books.

Movie 3, changes evident, different approach from 1 and 2, shorter movie.

Movie 4, longer book, butchered in translation from text to movie according to many Potter fans.

Movie 5, longest book, shorter movie. Same situation as GOF.

Movie 6, shorter book, longer movie.

Movies 7 and 8, book 7 split into two movies.

That's very true. It's a very inconsistant series. I don't agree with all your reviews of each individual film, but as a whole this series suffers from a major lack of cohesion. It's very evident in the music as well.

That's very true. It's a very inconsistant series. I don't agree with all your reviews of each individual film, but as a whole this series suffers from a major lack of cohesion. It's very evident in the music as well.

It's probably one of the most cohesive seven-part film series ever made, though.

It's probably one of the most cohesive seven-part film series ever made, though.

How many seven part film series have been made (though really it's eight)? James Bond is the only one I can think of.

How many seven part film series have been made (though really it's eight)? James Bond is the only one I can think of.

I guess it depends on your definition of "series", but the Bond ones show little story continuity between themselves (save maybe the gravestone scene in For Your Eyes Only and of course characters like M, Q, Moneypenny). But on that basis Fu Manchu, Nightmare on Elm St, Friday The 13th (this has surprising continuity), Puppet Master, Halloween, The Howling, Amityville, I think Hellraiser is there now (this happens a lot in horror), Star Trek (1-7 kind of runs as a consecutive story), I guess the Carry On films would count, there's like four million Zatoichi movies, and of course The Big G.

Yeah, that's what I mean. There are so few film series that go on for this long that it's impressive Harry Potter has remained as cohesive as it has.

Potter is certainly the Star Wars for this new generation. The prequels are already forgotten and that franchise is now focused on a cartoon. Harry Potter got this generation reading again. An accomplishment in and of itself. Star Wars has become, as Donald Trump would put it, a complete and total disaster. The originals will probably always be recognized, but they just don't seem to resonate with today's audiences like they did with the generation of the 70s and 80s.

In terms of inspiration, meaning and quality, the new Star Wars is certainly Lord of the Rings.

Harry Potter may be hugely popular right now, as Lord of the Rings was back then when it was published, but I doubt it will have its lasting impression 50 years from now - the movies certainly won't.

I live in a suburban neighborhood packed full of kids. They all love Star Wars and the Clone Wars cartoon. They couldn't care less about Harry Potter or reading.

For proof that Star Wars is still incredibly popular with kids and adults today, look at the toys. Hasbro's line has had a straight run of fifteen years, and is still going strong. Despite the SEs, the originals are consistently held up as great movies, especially - and inevitably - ESB. I don't think in 30 years they'll be holding up Prisoner of Azkaban as a popular example of a sequel that betters the original. And as Hedji said, I don't know any kids into Potter, but they all love SW (and the giant Millennium Falcon). All the Potter fans I know are around my age.

I think LOTR was this generation's SW, and with The Hobbit, there's even a parallel with the prequels. Thankfully I don't think PJ will let it slide.

The difference here is that on The Hobbit, PJ is still in possession of his full talent, whereas Lucas made the prequels after 20 years in which he had all the time in the world to suck in the praise and actually believe he was a great director.

The difference here is that on The Hobbit, PJ is still in possession of his full talent, whereas Lucas made the prequels after 20 years in which he had all the time in the world to suck in the praise and actually believe he was a great director.

I'm sure many people would disagree after King Kong and The Lovely Bones. I wouldn't (well, haven't seen the latter), but there is a sense of him maybe going back because his non-elf projects have floundered. Or he wants a new floor on his mansion.