Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

The only times I don't copy my long posts are the times the post doesn't go through...

Basically, Annie Hall is just as well-remembered as those films, has a better reputation than Star Wars, blockbusters have always been beaten out by prestige fads, and quite understandably so. People are going to be shocked that that Indian movie won the year The Dark Knight wasn't even nominated. This late 70's/early 80's romanticism is mind-boggingly off-base, in my opinion.

"Blockbusters have always been beaten out by...fads". Really? I think the makers of Gone Wtih The Wind, Gigi, Ben-Hur, West Side Story, Oliver!, Titanic, Return Of The King, and The Sound Of Music would disagree.

As for "that Indian movie" beating TDK, let me tell you something, folks: there is nothing funny, or entertaining, about sociopathy, with attendant narcissistic personality disorder. TDK is a nasty, vile abomination, the negative of which should be burned immediately. How it made so much money, is quite beyond me, and I pray to J that there isn't a third.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for "that Indian movie" beating TDK, let me tell you something, folks: there is nothing funny, or entertaining, about sociopathy, with attendant narcissistic personality disorder. TDK is a nasty, vile abomination, the negative of which should be burned immediately. How it made so much money, is quite beyond me, and I pray to J that there isn't a third.

Holy shit!

"Blockbusters have always been beaten out by...fads". Really? I think the makers of Gone Wtih The Wind, Gigi, Ben-Hur, West Side Story, Oliver!, Titanic, Return Of The King, and The Sound Of Music would disagree.

The Return of the King is the only one of the list that fits the term 'blockbuster'. It's not about money. It's about the percieved notion of something being a popular hit in a less-than-prestigous genre. The others are historical epics and musicals, established and respected genres.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion at hand. The Dark Knight was a huge popular hit the swept the masses -particularly younger audiences- in way similar to Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. That it may be a nihilistic ugly piece of shit is irrelevent. It was very popular, made a lot of money, and in a less-than-prestigious genre.

Park News - (7/7/10) In an attempt to deal with the still huge crowd levels at IOA trying to see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter the park has begun testing a procedure to hand out small return time tickets for entry into the Wizarding World. They will give you a window of time, like between 10:30am and 11:30am to return to the land, where you present your ticket much like a FastPass, and are let right in. Please note, these passes are only good for entry into the Wizarding World itself and not for any of the attractions within.

http://jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18110

While I'm not TDK's biggest fan for other reasons (like bad editing and plot exposition), we need more memorable characters like the Joker in today's bland films. You can't only have only wholesome, family friendly Pixar movies.

There will be. It starts shooting in March and is slated to be released in July of 2012.

After being totally frustrated with how badly HP & HBP had been scored, I prepared my own version of the movie's climax, but with JW's music instead of Hooper's. Check it out. I believe it added some necessary emotion to that very blandly-scored scene.

EDIT:

No more of this clip. I was forced to remove it... :angry:

• 4 weeks later...

As a big ole homo I've no attraction to women but I do appreciate them. Emma Watson with her new pixie haircut is in a word adorable.

watsonhaircut.jpg?1281043527

I don't get it...

Anyway, I've been listening to, studying, and engraving "Let the Games Begin", which is the first of four cues that constitute HPSS's "The Quidditch Match." I really love the way it goes from quietly militant rhythms to rousing enthusiasm to tension to an outstanding transition into the next cue, "The Scoring Begins." The later Potter films are really hurt by the lack of Williams.

I don't get it...

Anyway, I've been listening to, studying, and engraving "Let the Games Begin", which is the first of four cues that constitute HPSS's "The Quidditch Match." I really love the way it goes from quietly militant rhythms to rousing enthusiasm to tension to an outstanding transition into the next cue, "The Scoring Begins." The later Potter films are really hurt by the lack of Williams.

I agree. By the way, are you using "engraving" as a technical term or a metaphorical one? If technical, what does it mean?

• 2 weeks later...

reviews are up at Mugglenet.com for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt1 which screened in Chicago the other day.

I read some reactions from the screening. One thing that stuck out was

how the split between the films, i.e. the ending of Part 1, is surprising late in the book, nearly 3/4ths.

From Conrad Pope's Facebook:

Working on Alexandre Desplat's new score for the next "Potter". Exciting, vigorous music! Harry flies, fights and conjures. All accompanied by the distinctive, definitely non-generic voice of Desplat. Those who love melodies, harmonies and emotions in their film scores should be pleased. Reminds one of the old days. Stay tuned.

Fingers crossed!

Sounds very promising, even though I've never seen Conrad Pope do anything but praise everyone he's worked with.

From Conrad Pope's Facebook:

Working on Alexandre Desplat's new score for the next "Potter". Exciting, vigorous music! Harry flies, fights and conjures. All accompanied by the distinctive, definitely non-generic voice of Desplat. Those who love melodies, harmonies and emotions in their film scores should be pleased. Reminds one of the old days. Stay tuned.

Wow, if the score has rhythms, notes, and instruments, too, I might really go ga-ga. Big change from previous scores where Harry yawns, blinks, and dozes.

Honestly it's Desplat's big chance to demonstrate he's the guy to look for in the next few years for epic scores (Giacchino has failed so far) ...he better not screw it up and has to step up his game from Twilight and Golden Compass

Honestly it's Desplat's big chance to demonstrate he's the guy to look for in the next few years for epic scores (Giacchino has failed so far)

Yea, I really hate it when people get Oscars who don't deserve it. Thankfully Hollywood is wise enough to overlook that, and never give the guy a big project again.

;)

Right Gustavo Santaollala should score Potter than

Giacchino won for Up because of the granny music that made it distinctive. Personally I can't stand listening to that score on it's own

...he better not screw it up and has to step up his game from Twilight and Golden Compass

Both good scores, with GOLDEN COMPASS miles ahead of most other fantasy scores from the past 10 years. I guess he will always disappoint you in this department, he's just not into that broad american style.

Giacchino won for Up because of the granny music that made it distinctive.

;):lol: That's pretty accurate actually.... Granny Music :lol:

I read some reactions from the screening. One thing that stuck out was

how the split between the films, i.e. the ending of Part 1, is surprising late in the book, nearly 3/4ths.

more like 2/3's Page 501 for those that care to look.

Honestly it's Desplat's big chance to demonstrate he's the guy to look for in the next few years for epic scores (Giacchino has failed so far) ...he better not screw it up and has to step up his game from Twilight and Golden Compass

Demonstrate what? To whom?

Michael Giacchino will never work again! Nobody will ever want to hire him!

Recently a thought came to me.

First off: despite probably meeting all the 'fanboy' criteria (what a lame term anyway), I've never been obsessed about Williams scoring another Harry Potter film. I love the scores Williams did in the series, but whether Williams will score HP 7 Part 2 or not is not really something I care that much about. I'm much more interested in the Tin Tin score for example. Even War Horse.

However, I believe that Williams actually may score the last Harry Potter film. I remember before HP7 everyone wanted Williams to 'finish what he had started'. Even Williams himself expressed a desire to score the last Harry Potter film.

So how come Alexander Desplat ended up scoring Deathly Hallows Part 1? Could it be that the producers sat down with Williams and explained him the concept of having the last book split up in two seperate movies? Could it be that they told Williams that - despite DH being a two parter - it is intended to give each part a unique, distinctive feel (Part 1 a 'road movie', part 2 the 'climatic battle movie')?

Perhaps Williams reasoned: "If this is the case then I will score the last film (Part 2) only".

Is this the reason why Desplat only signed on for Part 1?

I'm sure these questions have been asked many times before here (like I said: it was never really an issue to me).

I will not be disappointed/sad/angry/shattered or anything if Desplat ends up doing Part 2 (which also makes sense), but I think there is definately a scenario out there that allows Williams to score Part 2. I don't think it's the closed door some believe it to be.

I dunno.. War Horse in August? Harry Potter in July? Seems like a clash to me. At least he's done Tintin already, but I don't fancy the chances of Williams returning.

Can only imagine the epic renditions of Hedwig's theme that Williams would come up with for the BoH, but I'm equally sure Desplat is losing many a night's sleep thinking the same thing.

I dunno.. War Horse in August? Harry Potter in July? Seems like a clash to me. At least he's done Tintin already, but I don't fancy the chances of Williams returning.

Can only imagine the epic renditions of Hedwig's theme that Williams would come up with for the BoH, but I'm equally sure Desplat is losing many a night's sleep thinking the same thing.

Yeah, I was thinking about War Horse too...

But then I thought: isn't HP7 Part 2 shot already? Will this give Williams a window to work on the movie earlier than normal?

Again: I'm not desperately WANTING Williams to score HP7. Just seems to me that there is still a fairly logical possibility.

Or maybe he's just writing the score.

Or maybe he's just writing the score.

Concerta by day, Ambien by night.

But then I thought: isn't HP7 Part 2 shot already? Will this give Williams a window to work on the movie earlier than normal?

Yes, it has. Filming for both parts wrapped mid-June this year. The first full trailer even has some completed visual effects shots from Part Two (the dragon's flight, the final fight between Harry and Voldemort), so I'm sure Yates has at least an assembly cut of Part Two. It could end up being an "Azkaban" situation where Williams scores an early cut of the film to avoid scheduling conflicts.

But Spielberg has a tendency to shoot fast and get his films out within a small timeframe, so Williams could easily to write and record "War Horse" before working on HP7.

• 4 weeks later...

It's a day one purchase for me. Not only am I a completist whore in terms of a HP CD collection, but it's a friggin' Desplat score. I love the guy's work, and will blind-buy it.

I remember buying the CD to "Azkaban" and listening to the music before seeing the film. The film definitely supported the music and vice-versa.

It's a day one purchase for me. Not only am I a completist whore in terms of a HP CD collection, but it's a friggin' Desplat score. I love the guy's work, and will blind-buy it.

I remember buying the CD to "Azkaban" and listening to the music before seeing the film. The film definitely supported the music and vice-versa.

I haven't bought a score blind since Phantom Menace. I may buy this one, but given the short time between its release and the premiere of the film, I doubt I'll have time to buy it before I hear the score in context.

I LOVED the trailer. I have to say the 7 Potters scene looks quite awkward but hilarious. Looking at the still photos, each of Dan's 7 faces is priceless. For the most part, you can totally tell which character he is supposed to be based on his expression.