Williams not scoring Harry Potter and GoF

King Mark

oh no,he didn't read my signature..,Memoirs of Geisha...WTF .I guess we'll never hear another version of Fawke's theme.

Wait,is this Chinese July Fool's Day?

K.M.Utterly bummed out. :cry: :cry: :cry:

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope it is at least like chamber of secrets. He just scored the main themes untill the producers were dissatisfied with Williams Ross score.

Heck, Williams did CMIYC, AOC and MR in 2002, he could do EPIII, Memoirs of a geisha and GOF.

Unless Spielberg comes with artsy farty movie :mrgreen: or was it The war of the Worlds? :angry:

It's worse Luke,read the main page.He's not scoring at all,and Ricard wouldn't write this unless it was 99% accurate.Friggen Memoirs of Geisha.

Like I said in the GoF thread, if this is true it makes me both :cry: and :angry: . And you're right K.M., Ricard wouldn't post it if he wasn't sure. I think more people read this website than even we realize, and he knows the importance of accuracy.

John- who might assist K.M. in his sig pic if this is true. But only after Ep. 3 is done.

But only after Ep. 3 is done.

Yes please.

Because this time, it is Williams fault :angry:

Did he said he loved the books? How can he dump the project so definately?

I hope his health is good :(

Luke, who doesnt care for HP but likes the Williams scores :mrgreen:

This sucks. This really sucks. Can't he say he can't do one of the other 2005 movies due to sceduling conflicts and not GoF?? Maybe it's a joke... Maybe not... Maybe we'll get someone good to do the score.. But not like Johnny. I'm pissed. very. :angry::mrgreen::(:angry::angry::angry::angry: 8O 8O :angry::angry: censored

I'm not surprised or disappointed. I'm rooting for James Newton Howard or Danny Elfman for his replacement.

I agree. I think musically there might not be more he can do with the series. Plus, he has uunbreakable commitments to do Ep. 3 and anything Spielberg cranks out. I'm not upset. Though I hope Williams' replacement on HP doesn't do a rehash of themes.

Jeff -- looking forward to Williams' work on "Geisha"

At least this way, Williams ends his stint with the HP films in a Seinfeldian way, not an X-Filean way.

In other words, POA was JW at his top.

Maybe GOF might have been even better. But at least now we'll never have to worry about it being a dissapointing or substandard score.

While the news is of course disappointing (I'd love to hear another Potter score written by John Williams), I don't see it as such a tragedy. Probably Williams has a very busy and full schedule for 2005: aside from Episode III, there's the Spielberg-directed Mossad project (which could come out in fall '05 as well) and, as the news has pointed out, probably even Memoirs of a Geisha. It's evident that Williams prefers to privilege his working relationship with Steven Spielberg more than any other thing in his life (and I think he's doing the damn right thing). Add to this the usual activity as concert conductor and we have a real full plate for Williams in the next months. It's sad that he will not continue to associate his name with the Harry Potter franchise, but probably he feels that doing different type of things is more stimulating, as an artist. And this is one of his strongest power in financially terms also: what other composer has the power, or even the mere possibility, to turn down a golden (both musically, but more importantly finacially) scoring assignment like Harry Potter 4?? Nobody.

There's never been a more disappointing bit of Williams-related news for me. But remember when he said himself a long time ago that he wasn't planning on scoring PoA? So maybe there's hope.

Ray Barnsbury-at a loss for anything more to say

I see this as non news at this point until we get confirmation. I was emailed by the same source as Ricard, and while it might be true, things have a way of working themselves out.

I see this as non news at this point until we get confirmation.  I was emailed by the same source as Ricard, and while it might be true, things have a way of working themselves out.

Well, it might be true, but also it might be not...

Mm, maybe is a lot better to counter-verify and counter-counter-verify such a news before shouting out loud "WILLIAMS NOT DOING HP4" in the Main Page... right? :thumbup: Or maybe is even better to write "Williams MIGHT not doing HP4"... right? :P

Maurizio -- who generally trusts Ricard's unnamed sources

I'll be interested to see who replaces him. I'm hoping for Bruce Broughton.

Of course, they could just track the fourth film with music from the first three. :thumbup:

I think GoF, assuming Williams isn't doing it, would have been one of his best scores ever... There was sooo much possibility in that score... Soooo many new themes... So many cool thematic elements... But I am HIGHLY skeptical over him not doing it... This is another huge movie in a huge series whereas Jurassic Park 3 was just a weak continuation of 2 great movies before it and he probably just didn't think it was gonna be that great of a movie - plus Steven Spielberg didn't direct it. Heck, I think if Williams is pressed for time, I think William Ross should be brought back to help with conducting and adapting. :P Or not. :thumbup: Hmmm.....

OOHHH Yeeaaahh, Jim, Bruce Broughton.... That'd be a great replacement. He scored Homeward Bound I think... And that main theme in that is awesome!! James N. Howard did the most recent Peter Pan thing I think... It was almost new age but it was super perdy... Hey, how about Howard Shore? :P:thumbup:

JNH would be a damn fine replacement, and my choice if it comes down to that. But JW not doing it is just unthinkable.

Ray Barnsbury

I really don't care who does it now. I'll buy it, I'll listen to it, I'll know that no matter what Williams would have done it better.

John- wondering what the people in the HP forums that we got all the scarily ignorant quotes from are saying about this.

No Shore, he wouldn't be appropriate. Elfman mostly sucks it seems. JNH is good, but I dunno how he would fit Potter (but then, I don't know enough by him yet).

Marian - who thinks Broughton could do a very good job. :shakehead:

:) Species (Christopher Young)

I really don't care who does it now. I'll buy it, I'll listen to it, I'll know that no matter what Williams would have done it better.

John- wondering what the people in the HP forums that we got all the scarily ignorant quotes from are saying about this.

Actualy the responces here all seem distressed.

http://www.hpana.com/news.18220.html

Film Score Monthly Message Board,]Our sources are Carter Armstrong, director of music at Warner Brothers, and Conrad Pope, Williams orchestrator.

Does anybody else realise that John Williams is (finally) back on top of his game, more inspired and energised than ever, and feels the desire to score a foreign-themed / religious drama? I reckon we should all embrace that. We don't want him to score another magic kids' film if it means he is becoming slightly disinterested. Yes it would have been excellent had he still been fully interested, but even so, I think it's time for a bit of change on all our parts.

His final Star Wars score, Memoirs of a Geisha, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, War of the Worlds and Indiana Jones IV... I'd rather he focussed on each of those, creating excellent and probably Oscar-nominated/winning scores to add to his name, than substitute the quality of any of them for a half-hearted Goblet score.

But alas, sad news...

Oh and I'm just incredibly thankful that he's "dropped" Goblet to score another film. Can you imagine the mass worrying across the world if there was no scheduling conflict? It'd sound like his 70-odd years are starting to catch up with him...

Thanks for the sources, Alan. Several of the people in that thread seem quite optimistic about the situation. *sigh*

Ray Barnsbury

Oh and I'm just incredibly thankful that he's "dropped" Goblet to score another film. Can you imagine the mass worrying across the world if there was no scheduling conflict? It'd sound like his 70-odd years are starting to catch up with him...

Williams doesn't have to drop Goblet of Fire to prove that he's still musically active. :?

Thanks for ruining my day... :shakehead:

I hope it is like PoA, and he changes his mind. Hell, I'd rather something like CoS again than no Williams score at all. GoF is guaranteed to be a hit, but this Memoirs of Geisha (apart from sounding like one of JK Rowling's false titles for book 7) may not. We'll see... And we'll hope...

Goodbye, Potter fans, so looooong :shakehead: !

And I'll be the first one to welcome you all back the moment you like Williams and his music. :ola:

:)

----------------

Alex Cremers

Well, :shakehead::) :cry:

However, I can understand Williams´ decision not to score too many films at the same time...I think now, that the end of his career is coming closer, he´d rather like to write 5 excellent scores than maybe 10 not so excellent ones...

Thanks for ruining my day... :shakehead:

I hope it is like PoA, and he changes his mind. Hell, I'd rather something like CoS again than no Williams score at all. GoF is guaranteed to be a hit, but this Memoirs of Geisha (apart from sounding like one of JK Rowling's false titles for book 7) may not. We'll see... And we'll hope...

So you only care for a Williams score if it comes from a hit film...