The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

7 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

There is a very good reason why it's now regarded as the absolute nadir of all DW.

I have half a mind to watch it again now. There is a LOT of Doctor Who that I consider worse. In pretty much any era. It's mediocre to be sure. But Who has (and no doubt will be) worse.

OTOH I think I've only seen Planet of the Dead once. Might watch it again.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

"erm ... yeah" is a fucking understatement.

Don't go anywhere near that fucking thing, if you know what's good for you!

There is a very good reason why it's now regarded as the absolute nadir of all DW.

A shame as the Sea Devils looked great but yeah that show was not good. It has a fairly cool setup with a statue or something but lots of rainy scenes that were clearly filmed in bright sunshine. Things you notice when you’re a nerd and also bored.  

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

I have half a mind to watch it again now. There is a LOT of Doctor Who that I consider worse. In pretty much any era. It's mediocre to be sure. But Who has (and no doubt will be) worse.

I would rather watch WARRIORS OF THE DEEP on repeat, than see that Sea Devils "special", again.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

OTOH I think I've only seen Planet of the Dead once. Might watch it again.

POTD isn't the best DW special, by a long shot, but Lee Evans is not bad, and I like the foreshadowing, at the end.

Michelle Ryan is very easy on the eye :)

22 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

"erm ... yeah" is a fucking understatement.

Don't go anywhere near that fucking thing, if you know what's good for you!

As I recall the line about Stephen King adaps, the Tardis on the ocean floor and the Doctor telling Yaz 'it ain't gonna happen' in a way for reasons that were at least fairly consistent with the ones Ten gave Rose were the best bits. Not much across an a hour's runtime, really.   

No intention to, my friend. Currently making my way through Troughton's finale The War Games and War Doctor audio adventures on BBC Sounds, and they'll do just fine.   

I'll say this for Legend Of The Sea Devils ... such was its shoddiness, it made finding The Power Of The Doctor to be actually half-decent even more of a relief. 

• 2 weeks later...

There’s something about Millie’s outfit especially that is tricking my brain into thinking I’m looking at Classic Who, I really love it. They both look stunning and I’m glad to see more commitment towards wearing diverse outfits that fit the setting

Loving the drip-feed of images and tidbits for the new series. With those pics Gatwa has firmly elbowed Matt Smith out as my hottest Doctor. As a couple he and Millie are just smoking, I can't wait to see more of them. It's also nice to see "appealing" Doctors and companions after the extremely sexless Chibnall era. Not that Who has to be sexy (and plenty of people hate when it is, which is totally fair), but it really was throughout 2005-2017, and I liked it.

At this stage I'm even more invested in the 2024 episodes than I am about the anniversary specials this year - I can't wait to see what's cooking.

3 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

Loving the drip-feed of images and tidbits for the new series. With those pics Gatwa has firmly elbowed Matt Smith out as my hottest Doctor. As a couple he and Millie are just smoking, I can't wait to see more of them. It's also nice to see "appealing" Doctors and companions after the extremely sexless Chibnall era. Not that Who has to be sexy (and plenty of people hate when it is, which is totally fair), but it really was throughout 2005-2017, and I liked it.

At this stage I'm even more invested in the 2024 episodes than I am about the anniversary specials this year - I can't wait to see what's cooking.

Sex is human! That’s something Russel has always understood when it comes to making something resonant with an audience. It’s the difference between the Original Trilogy and the Prequel Trilogy to me where the people in the former series  feel more believable since they’re presented in a more honest and human way

7 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

There’s something about Millie’s outfit especially that is tricking my brain into thinking I’m looking at Classic Who, I really love it. They both look stunning and I’m glad to see more commitment towards wearing diverse outfits that fit the setting

Yes, getting the distinct impression that there'll be less 'I'll just wing it in my usual outfit regardless of the time period, it'll be fine' this time round. 

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Yes, getting the distinct impression that there'll be less 'I'll just wing it in my usual outfit regardless of the time period, it'll be fine' this time round. 

BUDGET! fun

Indeed ... to quote RTD (obviously from the days when it was still a Saturday night show and 'catch-up' services were yet to become a thing) 'Of course Doctor Who can have some darkness. But if it's relentlessly dark, people are just going to switch over to Ant and Dec.' 

Did not expect that.

That article doesn't really clarify whether he's doing just Tennant's specials or if he's going to do the new series as well. Maybe that's not something he needs to decide yet.

It's going to come as good news for those clamouring for a series 10 soundtrack release (I'm not that fussed either way) as it might reignite the spark for him to put an album together.

It's good to see Gold back but I also knew some defending of Akinola would be needed quite quickly. A lot of his stuff was very on the atmospheric/droning side, but he also came up with some really good orchestral material.

I can't remember a single thing Gold did in his last series - it's not as simple as he was great and Akinola did droning.

My soundtracks say series 1-13. They could say 27-39. I don't give a crap :lick:

Although it says something about my fandom that I don't own a single Who DVD/BD. I've rarely had an urge to go back and watch an episode, and on the occasions I do... iPlayer.

I love Murry Gold's music and am exited that he's coming back to do specials and Series 14 but then we have to wait for months or years for the soundtrack to be released not to mention we are still waiting on the Series 10 soundtrack to be released. Where as with Segun Akinola you could rely on the soundtrack being released. Maybe (crossing fingers) he might get his act together and release 10 as well as specials and series 14

4 minutes ago, TBO1711 said:

I love Murry Gold's music and am exited that he's coming back to do specials and Series 14 but then we have to wait for months or years for the soundtrack to be released not to mention we are still waiting on the Series 10 soundtrack to be released. Where as with Segun Akinola you could rely on the soundtrack being released. Maybe (crossing fingers) he might get his act together and release 10 as well as specials and series 14

I’d say even from a purely marketing standpoint this is the greatest impetus to tighten things up in that regard

When RTD was in charge soundtrack releases were very regular iirc

Excellent news about Gold. Could easily whistle 'I Am The Doctor' right now, remember little to nothing of what Akinola did. 

And yes, this place doesn't ass piss tits shit bastard goddamn fuck cunting well care about swearing. 

Great news indeed. I was actually half expecting Blair Mowat to be announced as he scored the recent RTD series Nolly and also did the music for Class, the only (I think?) spin-off from the Stephen Moffat era - both of quite are actually pretty good. I mean, no Murray Gold, but then I'm not sure I'd have expected such great music from Gold based on his prior work (although his theme from the original UK Queer as Folk is great).

17 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Great news indeed. I was actually half expecting Blair Mowat to be announced as he scored the recent RTD series Nolly and also did the music for Class, the only (I think?) spin-off from the Stephen Moffat era - both of quite are actually pretty good. I mean, no Murray Gold, but then I'm not sure I'd have expected such great music from Gold based on his prior work (although his theme from the original UK Queer as Folk is great).

I think the difference there is we've already heard what Blair Mowat would sound like in 'Doctor Who' mode, whereas that was uncharted territory for Murray Gold at the time

2 hours ago, TBO1711 said:

ok then the Jodie Whittaker 13th doctor episodes were fucking shit, thank fuck RRD is returning. Chris Churnball completely shat on doctor who but RTD will fix it

No Way Reaction GIF

Now, now. There's no need for that. This is a family show.