What do you like about Episode I UE???

Josh500

Sure, the album was shoddily made and deserves all the beating it got, but there's gotta be SOME upside to a JW Star Wars album!!! I just love the cues Fighting the Destroyer Droids, Fighting the Guards (is that it?), and Anakin is Free (Qui Gon's Theme is one of the very best). Oh yeah, also The Tide Turns.

What are your favorite cues/tracks NOT available on the OS? ;)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The sound quality is a plus over the original release and the cues you mentioned. Other than that, i can't think of much more positive things about this release.

Better sound quality and more music.

Indeed, enough said about this set. ;)

All though the volume through out the score has been amped up quite to loud. It should be lowered by 1.5 to 2 decibles at least. I for one am glad to have the Ultimate Edition because of the offically unreleased music. However as you know I think we have all the unused material from The Phantom Menace for everyone to make their own "Special Edition" of the score. I know I've done that.

If Sony hadn't billed it as that "every note" BS, it would have been an excellent resource. As it is, it is a disappointment; but that doesn't mean it is worthless.

I like the sound and as opposed to the Temple of Doom Masters rotting away somewhere underground in some mouldy crate ,at least we have 95% of the music of Episode 1,bad edits or not(that can be 90% fixed)

K.M.

were you trying to alude to where the ark goes in the film (imagines) cause as funny as that is, it is still sad...

Is there a valid reason why they arn't just all released? It's not like people won't buy it?

And with all the money Lucas has, he could just simply have JW RE-RECORD the orignal scores if, indeed, they are so far gone/lost.

AND more importantly, there's more pics of natalie portman :mrgreen:, who may i add still looks hot bald. haha, but i do like the liner notes. and the more music part.

I got it for the "turning tide" cue with the bouncy "force theme".

Plus I like this album because I got JW to sign it in Boston!

:|

I love disc 1 start to finish. Disc 2 gets a little jarring in places (Duel of the Fates of course!) but overall this was a very welcome edition and an exciting set to listen through.

I love disc 1 start to finish. Disc 2 gets a little jarring in places (Duel of the Fates of course!) but overall this was a very welcome edition and an exciting set to listen through.

Funny, I'm probably the only one who like disc 2.

Now excellet quality and unreleased music otherwise unavailable.

Before coming here and meeting these musical elitits :mrgreen: i liked the whole work since i didnt knew about the edits. (But i had noticed some music in racer was different misteriously...)

No you are not . In disc 2 , this fabulous album really begins to rock.

I like it because it features "every single note John Williams composed for the movie".  

:)

I like it because the "liner notes" don't contain another pretentious comment from George Lucas. Luckily, there's none from Williams praising Mr. Flanel Shirt as well.

I have nothing against the music in disc 2, but the poor edits get jarring towards the end. That was my point. Disc 2 starts off with Qui Gon's theme! A very strong opening!

There were so many incredible cues that weren't on the OST. I spent hours trying to find these on the OST back when it first came out, but to know avail. And it pissed. Me. Off. Then came the UE at a time when edit quality didn't really matter much to me, and I was as happy as could be to have (almost) all of the cues. Now I notice those bad edits, but I'm still so grateful to have that album. So much great stuff on there, even if it could have been presented better.

I listen to discs 1 and 2 equally, for the most part. Each disc has its strong points.

Time for an ROTS UE, please, but with better editing...better yet, just release each cue on a separate track with clean starts and endings. Then people like us can just edit things together however we want.

I have nothing against the music in disc 2, but the poor edits get jarring towards the end. That was my point.!

And these are mostly limited to the cues in the 7 minute "The Battle Continues" suite.The worse edits of the UE are in Anakin Takes Off in his Spaceship.

K.M.

Actually, although it is not the complete score and it is not in chronological order, I think it flows quite well and provides a veyr pleasant listening experience. I listen to it very often, as well as to the UE.

Sound is better and I discovered quite a few great moments,

Great innovation when the destroyers first appear,

I was right about that que, it was used again on AOTC when the clones brought down a federation ship

The Qui-Gon fight is great but the best cue for me was track 28,

the 7/4 bit was truly inspirational.

Classic Williams.

I didn't think the soundtrack was his best though and certainly it was far from being a classic SW score

In fact, the normal version of TPM does not exist for me. Who's with me?

In this arguemnt, I certainly am. I bought the normal CD for comletion sake, and never ever listen to it.

I love TPM, think it's a marvelous score, best score the movie could have had and better than it deserved. And I also love the UE, flaws and all. So much detail in the score, so many little cues in there.

To name some my favorite cues in there (As I said, I am not familiar enough with the original CD to say exactly how much of this appeared there)

I love the little string actiony motif at the very begining, about 30 second into the 'Boarding the Federation Battleship'. JW could have so easily had more of that veague spacey music, and instead injected the opening with a bit of energy. It reminds me of that brilliant chattering motif from RoTJ.

'Fighting the Destroyer Droids'- a wonderful little action cue that says Star Wars to me.

'Qui-Gon And Obi-Wan Rescue The Queen' has that tiny little motif 55 seconds in when you see the Queen and her advisors being marched out of the castle. A very small thing, but to me is an example of the extra effort JW put into this score, to make it really a score worthy of it's predecessors (and for my money, it's better than RoTJ).

'Fighting The Guards' is one of my absolute favorites. Those strings, quietly building towards the coming conflict, being interrupted, than coming back with a vengeance to that fantastic little actiony motif at 47 seconds, and then exploding into a bit of colorful, optimstic action music, leading into 'Escape to Naboo', probably the action highlight of the score.

'Hail To The Winner, Anakin Skywalker' is a very kiddy piece of music, but it works well never the less, and has a nice, carefree version of Anakin's theme (aside from the inherent ominous ending, of course).

'Anakin is Free' starts off with that straight, wodnerfully nobel version of Qui-Gon's theme, which is one of the very finest themes Williams composer for the series

'Qui-Gon And Darth Maul Meet' is a wonderful how it starts with Maul's theme, exploding into a great urgent string section, leading into a faster, more urgent, and more desparate version of Qui-Gon's theme (which fits the editing of the scene in breathtaking way). There's a little victorious piece when our heroes get away, but no.......the brass outburst is clearly telling us that this is a very tamporary victory, and Darth Maul will be back.

'War Plans' has a nice 'were fighting back' feel to it, and it has that regal feel from the Rebel briefing in RoTJ that I love.

I love the big, pulsating motif used in 'The Battle Rages On'.

The Invisible Wall stuff is great.

The music for 'The Death of Qui-Gon And the Surrender of The Gungans' is really great. For Qui-Gon, it really captures the momentous, tragic emotion. And for the Gungans Surrender, you could just hear the evil forces taking over in the sad, sad strings.

'The Tide Turns' is simply as thrilling as it gets. That build up is just the ideal build up, and we get a straight, sincere version of the Force Theme, that's just fantastic. And we get the last version of Qui-Gon's theme for oboe.

'The Queen Confronts Nute And Rune' has that spine chilling bit of the Imperial March....that was one of my favorite moments in the film, when you hear that almost inaudible version of the March. So much so, that at first, I wasnt' even sure if I heard it, or just heard ti in my head!

And these are just some of the highlights. A fantastic score, best of the prequels.

'Qui-Gon And Obi-Wan Rescue The Queen' has that tiny little motif 55 seconds in when you see the Queen and her advisors being marched out of the castle. A very small thing, but to me is an example of the extra effort JW put into this score, to make it really a score worthy of it's predecessors (and for my money, it's better than RoTJ).

I completly agree with you. Such a small piece of underscore that somehow manages to be sound so wonderful. That particular section you mentioned is one of my favorite cues of the entire saga. The scene just seems so full with that music. I really do think Williams developed a Naboo sound for the TPM.

I completly agree with you. Such a small piece of underscore that somehow manages to be sound so wonderful. That particular section you mentioned is one of my favorite cues of the entire saga. The scene just seems so full with that music. I really do think Williams developed a Naboo sound for the TPM.

Sorry ,

Where about is it on the actual track seconds wise?

'Fighting The Guards' is one of my absolute favorites. Those strings, quietly building towards the coming conflict, being interrupted, than coming back with a vengeance to that fantastic little actiony motif at 47 seconds, and then exploding into a bit of colorful, optimstic action music.

I totally agree with you there -- "Fighting the Guards" is one of my all-time favorite cues (not just from the Star Wars saga). Such driving, optimistic beat . . . I get goosebumps every time I hear it.

Sorry ,

Where about is it on the actual track seconds wise?

More or less after 20 or 30 seconds into track 13 from disc 1. Right after that subtle trumpet fanfare plays as Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan open the cockpit of the submarine.