What did you think of Jon Stewart???

Josh500

I liked him, actually, but sometimes he was a bit out of line -- as a big Spielberg fan, I was miffed at him poking fun at Jews and Schindler's List/Munich. What did you think?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Steward was alright even if he was visibly little nervous. Some of his jokes were little too dry for the audience but I liked his style.

I liked him, actually, but sometimes he was a bit out of line -- as a big Spielberg fan, I was miffed at him poking fun at Jews and Schindler's List/Munich. What did you think?

I was okay with it because he is Jewish. It's not like he was on some anti-Jew hate-spewing agenda. That's just the way of his self-deprecating sense of humor.

I was never a big fan of Stewart on the Daily Show (I much preferred Craig Kilborn), but it really worked for me on the Oscars. As far as presenters of the last ten years goes, he's up there with Steve Martin. Top-tier stuff.

i think he was the finest oscar host since I´m wathing the oscars (which is for about 5 years now)...i laughed a lot, and i thought that his scorsese joke was very intelligent...you could interpret it in very different ways

Too bad most of the brain-dead celebrities didn't seem to get any of the jokes or the dry humor that was most times directed at them by Stewart.

But hey, I guess they are God's gift to mankind so it doesn't really matter.

Stewart was good. Too bad there was a lot of Turkish waffling overlapping it when I watched it.

Oh, and the Best Actress smear campaign bit was hilarious (was that Ed Helms's voice?)

I thought he was a breath of fresh air much like Chris Rock was last year.

Of course no one could top Johnny Carson as host.

I liked what I could hear below the Turkish commentators, I'd be fine with him or Crystal next year.

What I didn't like were the incredibly cheesy presenter speeches like 'an essential ingredient in any actor's toolbox is...' or 'movies have the power to make us laugh and cry'. I'd prefer them to try to be funny and put some humour into it, rather than reading the autocue like their shopping list and looking like they've got far better things to be doing :roll:

I also hate them announcing the names before the film in the technical categories. It's so anticlimactic as half the audience who didn't catch the names don't know who's won until the other half is clapping like mad...

I think he was fine.A bit nervous but funny anyways.They should bring him back next year.He'll be more relaxed and maybe more daring in his jokes.

K.M.

Did anyone else notice the John Debney/Williams Ross cheeseball like music playing behind EVERY SINGLE acceptance speech?

Justin - Who thought it was a joke for Clooney's speech.

Jon Stewart was great. His humor is very akin to mine, and I love the dry and very satirical jokes. His riff about scientology after the one commercial break was hilarious.

Tim

Well, IMHO, Jon Stewart wasn't so bad. Some jokes were of course a little bit tame, but he was surely better than Chris Rock last year. Still it's quite hard to top Billy Crystal. I still can't forget the great opening short for the Oscars in 2004.

Stewart looked a bit out of his element. While he improved over the course of the night, in the beginning he was a real bomb. He had more chuckles than laughs and more sporatic clapping rather than applause. I thought he was about as entertaining as David Letterman....ugh.

Bring back Billy Crystal. He's been the best and most consistent host in recent history.

I really like him on The Daily Show, but I was disgusted by how much he bowed to the wills of the Academy. It was so watered down. How can you balme the guy though, I'm sure he just wanted to impress his bosses for a potential next year gig.

Stewart was, well, er, an improvement I guess? All his jokes were way too contrived, it was way too American for my tastes. He had one or two clear moments (the Scorcese joke), but he was not merely as good as he pretended to be. He wanted to put the Academy into perspective, seemingly, but did nothing more than conform to it. They should find someone like Stephen Fry.

I loved Stewart, thought he did the best job in years. And do NOT bring back Crystal. His last two shots at were terrible.

The Stiller greenscreen bit was the best part of the show, including his over the top readings of the nominees. I wish they showed Williams' reaction to that, as well as the gay cowboy montage and all the parody commercials.

(was that Ed Helms's voice?)

Yes. ROTFLMAO

Wasn't it Stephen Colbert? (who successfully guessed the top 5 choices!)