Will John Williams let Remote Control influence his style?

gkgyver

30 members have voted

1. 1. Will John Williams let Remote Control influence his style?

I have been thinking.

In the recent months and years, we have seen composers, who were considered bastions against modern film scoring techniques, compromising their style in favour of assimilating to the recent Remote Control sound.

Patrick Doyle, James Newton Howard ...

Composers like Elliot Goldenthal or Don Davis have pretty much retired because they apparently don't want to compromise.

While thinking what to expect from Tintin, and bearing in mind that Spielberg is not exactly a Hans Zimmer hater, I asked myself the question, will we ever see that John Williams will have Remote Control influences in his scores?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it already has in a certain way. His more recent action music is much more propulsive and rhythm oriented than his more balletic works from the past. His works are less thematic as well.

Karol

Yes, but "less thematic" isn't a RC influence.

It may be just a way to leave thematic boundaries and make way for more, and different, ideas.

Not in the slightest. Williams' sound has changed over the years, certainly, but if anything, it's actually gone the opposite direction. His work used to be a little simpler, more harmonically straightforward, and more emotionally direct - all qualities that can be found in vulgar excess in a stereotypical RCP score. You can't even claim that he's started using synths more because of them, since his subtle but frequent use of non-acoustic instruments dates back to the 70s, at least.

Williams wouldn't return to film scoring just to provide a type of music that he has no interest in (or experience with) creating.

I don't think so.

The only reason I can imagine for him to do so is Spielberg being put under pressure to make his upcoming films sound more commercial. And even then, he'll never come even slightly close to MV - he doesn't have it in him.

I think that composers in JNH and Doyle's generation and younger are the only ones who have to even entertain the notion of adapting, because of the significant remainder of their careers. Older composers probably have more comfort to chose/wait for projects that don't demand RCP.

Let me say this loud and clear: Fuck no.

You don't hire someone with the prestige JW enjoys and then ask him to imitate Zimmer's sound. You just don't do that -- period.

Now I'm thinking of that horrible Zimmerised version of Hedwig's Theme in one of the HP Deathly Hallows Trailers

No I don't think Williams will let RCP sound affect his style. Especially when Spielberg is concerned.

If he has done a synthetic heartbeat pulse and eerie atmospheric underscore with synths in Munich it certainly does not mean he is Remote Controlled.

I think it already has in a certain way. His more recent action music is much more propulsive and rhythm oriented than his more balletic works from the past. His works are less thematic as well.

Karol

It is true that Williams had had to adapt to the modern film scoring climate to a certain extent but to my ears he has still kept his own style throughout and answered the modern demands with it.

E.g. his action pieces have become more rhythmic in their thrust and speed and forward motion, opting to push the action forward by insistent rhythm and propulsion instead of those balletic thematic dances he wrote in the 80's, which he still does from time to time. On the other hand Williams might as an artist want to try his hand in different styles of writing inside his own idiom which brought about the change in his style but the core has remained the same.

And Williams' work has always been and still is highly thematic, especially compared to the likes of RCP. He is nothing if not a thematic composer who believes in the power of leitmotif and who works very hard on them . Even at his most non-thematic (e.g. War of the Worlds) he can't keep away from writing recurring material, in the case of the example there is a recurring deep ominous Alien motif in the score and the tragic string melodies of the Epilogue pop up more than once during the score. This effort put into his thematic material shows, whether you call it blantant restating at every corner or thematic transparency, which means his musical ideas have clarity, distinctiveness and arc that very few composer these days can or know how to achieve. This means that you can with ease follow his musical ideas from beginning to the end of the storyline and they help to tell the tale of the movie. They can be simple or they can be complex but they still have enormous clarity and aptness for the subject matter.

And it is most often the subject matter and composer's and film makers' views on the film that dictate will it have multiple or a single defining themes but themes come to Williams very naturally and easily, even today. Sometimes he uses long lined melodies and sometimes he feels a shorter motivic cell will do the job or will be easier to manipulate throughout a score.

Williams doesn't even know who RC is.

Neither do I. Really, I don't know what this thread is about.

First the changed avatar picture and now this. Get a grip Alex!

Williams doesn't even know who RC is.

Neither do I. Really, I don't know what this thread is about.

First the changed avatar picture and now this. Get a grip Alex!

And John Williams! What can I say, he and I simply suck at being nerds and soundtrack geeks.

If that is true, then I would know who or what "Remote Control" is. I'm not even gonna look it up on the internet because me and John don't really care about those things.

I voted no on this subject.

Revenge of the Sith.

If you think ROTS sounds RC in nature, then there is literally NO hope for you. ROTS is light years (no pun intended) better than whatever the RC camp can turn out.

If that is true, then I would know who or what "Remote Control" is. I'm not even gonna look it up on the internet because me and John don't really care about those things.

"Remote Control" (aka Media Ventures), Hans Zimmer, Steve Jablonsky, Ramin Djawadi, etc...

I seriously doubt it. Then again, I would never have guessed that Patrick Doyle would go down that road either.

Makes me wonder why JNH has gone down that road. Friendship with Zimmer, or he just likes writing that way now? Or scared producers who demand RCP style?

I find it hard to believe that someone of his stature wouldn't be able to choose more selective projects.

The industry demands it. You either play ball or loose money not getting high profile work.

Yeah that's the truth. Although JW has attained such a stature he can choose his projects and he obviously is not financially motivated anymore (as he might have been years ago). And these days he only scores Spielberg films anyway, who adores his orchestral sound, so I don't think Williams will be changing his tune in a hurry.

The industry demands it. You either play ball or loose money not getting high profile work.

Yeah that's the truth. Although JW has attained such a stature he can choose his projects and he obviously is not financially motivated anymore (as he might have been years ago). And these days he only scores Spielberg films anyway, who adores his orchestral sound, so I don't think Williams will be changing his tune in a hurry.

John Williams does not need to take on work he doesn't want to. He's completely financially independent and has success in other areas then film composition.

Likewise James Horner, who apart from Avatar has dropped from the summer blockbuster scene doing things he finds interesting.

Makes me wonder why JNH has gone down that road. Friendship with Zimmer, or he just likes writing that way now? Or scared producers who demand RCP style?

I find it hard to believe that someone of his stature wouldn't be able to choose more selective projects.

I believe David Arnold mentioned something awhile back about having to compose a certain way in order to work.

Williams has been at a point where he dictates who and what he works on, Horner as well. Even Michael Giacchino is picky about who he works with.

Good for him, though it might prevent him from becoming a really big name.

It should be a bigger priority to preserve one's artistic integrity than to become a big name.

Well right now Giacchino has aligned himself in good company. As long as he keeps working for/with them, he's going to do just fine, in fact he already has.

padme's ruminations??

though i dont think so :P

That sounded more like John Debney's THE PASSION OF CHRIST than anything from the RC gang, IMO.

I believe David Arnold mentioned something awhile back about having to compose a certain way in order to work.

Got a link?

It should be a bigger priority to preserve one's artistic integrity than to become a big name.

The man is a computer game composer at heart. What artistic integrity are you talking about?

Do you mean he's betraying himself for not keep composing for videogames?

Yeah, he doesn't really like movies, he's faking it :rolleyes:

padme's ruminations??

though i dont think so :P

That sounded more like John Debney's THE PASSION OF CHRIST than anything from the RC gang, IMO.

wailing women is one of the trademarks of RC, though.

They did not invent it, thats true.

It's a trademark from MORRICONE.

Enough said.

I can't boast with a truly wide knowledge of Morricone but I thought his women soloists were more in the operatic style than wailing. Of course many would categorize that as wailing. ;)

Of course, there were those who had done the the exotic "wailing woman" before (like Morricone or Mychael Danna), but it was really GLADIATOR that popularized that slightly Arabic-sounding, textless humming. For better or worse. I happen to like many scores that use that effect.