• Content count

• Last visited

• Days Won

mrbellamy last won the day on April 22

mrbellamy had the most liked content!

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

14863 profile views
  1. The reply with a movie quote story game.

Fight for me and I will hold your oaths fulfilled. What say you?
  2. John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018)

"Corellia Chase" is an awesome highlight on its own but I get that it arguably makes a better playlist to cut it and start off with "Meet Han" and "Spaceport" so that the music is focusing and developing the "Han - Searching" theme first in a similar mood across two tracks, building intensity with just a little hint of the "Han - Hero" theme. Then "Flying with Chewie" gives you all the action of "Corellia Chase" while also introducing Chewie's theme and the gang theme, and that way it's more satisfying to have the first big statement of the "Han - Hero" theme be more of a climax rather than just throwing it upfront. Then Chewie's theme leads into the musical journey.
  3. What was the last really quotable movie?

"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain" "Some men just want to watch the world burn" I still see those
  4. John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018)

I think these count as little cameos: Also the early Imperial March references, the major key "recruitment" version and then again with Han in battle is pretty overt. I can't remember if there were any others but yeah, on the soundtrack "L3 & The Millennium Falcon" has the first big OT reference, I think.
  5. What was the last really quotable movie?

Harry Potter has gotta be the most memed and spoofed pop culture item among millennials. Most of that starts with the books, phrases like "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named" or "10 points to Gryffindor" are just generally ubiquitous but some things were made extra quotable through the movies, especially the first one. "You're a wizard, Harry!" "TROOOOOOLL IN THE DUNGEONS!" "It's Leviooooosa" "Our...new...celebrity" Mean Girls is also a quotable mainstay in my generation. "Oh my god, Karen, you can't just ask people why they're white" "Boo you whore!" "Nice wig, Janis, what's it made of?" "Your mom's chest hair!" "Stop trying to make fetch happen, it's NOT going to happen" "I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy." "She doesn't even go here!" "Four for you, Glen Coco! You go Glen Coco!" "Don't have sex because you will get pregnant. And die" "He's almost too gay to function" "One time Regina George punched me in the face. It was awesome" "People say I'm lying about being a virgin because I use super jumbo tampons but I can't help it if I've got a heavy flow and a wide-set vagina" "Oh my god Danny Devito! I love your work!" "That's why her hair is so big. It's full of secrets" "Oh my god I love your skirt! Vintage, so adorable....that is the ugliest effing skirt I've ever seen" "My boobs can tell when it's gonna rain. It's like I have ESPN or something" Those are 2001 and 2004, though. The Room (2003), for sure. Anchorman (2004). The Departed (2006) has a lot of good one-liners. Borat (2006), Superbad (2007). Harder to think of something this decade but might just be out of touch. Social Network, Wolf of Wall Street, and Steve Jobs had some zippy dialogue.
  6. John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018)

My favorite's in Mine Mission
  7. John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018)

Where else is it? Ah yeah, listening to "Train Heist" again, that's right. Still, goes to show some thematic unity going on there.
  8. John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018)

Is this related to any theme or just a one-off? I don't really recognize it from anywhere else in the score but I love it haha. Maybe actually a little deconstruction on Han's Hero theme? Similar range and rhythmic values.
  9. The reply with a movie quote story game.

Use the rod, beat the child, that's my motto.
  10. John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018)

I used to hate guacamole as a kid. Tried it once and thought it was gross. It looked gross. I lived my whole childhood and adolescence just hating guacamole. Hard pass on the guacamole. If I tried it, I knew I didn't like it and that's how it always tasted. I was the only guy around who didn't like guacamole! Then somewhere in my early 20s I decided "You know, life might be more fun if I liked guacamole" and I told myself that maybe actually I was bringing the party down and guacamole was kinda cool. I reconsidered guacamole. Next time I tried it, it wasn't all that bad. Weird. It's not my absolute #1 favorite thing in the whole wide world but if the host comes out with the guacamole, shit bring it on. Same with butter. I hated it as a child and from then on into my teenage years if there wasn't strawberry jelly I would just eat bread and rolls and toast dry, or not at all. My friends would ask if I wanted butter and I would say "Nope, don't like butter. HAHAHA yeah, isn't that weird?! Yep just don't like it! " Took me years to realize that not liking butter was...um, inconvenient. One night we went out to eat and I gave it another shot. Yeah, guess what, I like butter like everybody else. Not that special. There are dudes who refuse to enjoy a 4-star romcom or ladies who won't get into a really intense game. Or vice versa! Sometimes I find myself wrapping my opinions into my sense of self...becomes irrational.
  11. Love the "Mine Mission" one too. He did the Wookiee proud!
  12. John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018)

Yeah! I didn't realize until today that that was derived from the Searching theme, and the low strings playing the Hero theme. I didn't really pick up on it in the album but found it surprisingly distinctive and moody in the film, cool example of the Powell/Williams hybrid and Powell not being too precious about the theme.
  13. John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018)

I knew this was going to be a problem around here and I myself was worried the Williams stuff was not going to gel, but now that I've listened to it I'm kinda baffled that people have any issues with that side of it. It's funny that people are saying "He doesn't go 5 seconds without the theme!" because I found surprisingly long stretches without it, or just a very brief reference. Powell indulges in his own material plenty. The Williams theme is not given any unique treatment other than there's just more of it, all the new themes get their big versions and token nods alike. It's really just used like any main theme of any score. A track like "Mine Mission" is fairly emblematic of my listening experience where you get 2 straight minutes of the new militaristic material, and then a sweeping version of Chewbacca's theme for 30 seconds, and then Han's theme shows up for 5 bloody seconds to function as a transition back into the military material and somehow the thinking is that John Williams is interrupting a perfectly nice track and Powell is insecure...