• Content count

• Last visited

About mrbellamy

• Rank
    is part of a nutritious, balanced breakfast

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

10424 profile views
  1. Michael Giacchino Wins 2nd Original Score Oscar for Star Wars; Officially "The New John Williams"
  2. Or TPM. And yeah, agree, BFG was pretty comparable to Tintin in both critical reception and (domestic) box-office so I think it'll just depend on what comes out for the rest of the year. I feel like it's pretty much just Williams right now with any chance. Maybe Jungle Book or Secret Life of Pets but the nominations will probably all be stuff from October-December like always. Coming up, I think Thomas Newman's Passengers is probably a safe bet and could be great. I've been seeing a lot of really positive comments about Johann Johansson's Arrival from the Toronto/Venice festivals, tweets from critics have been effusive about the film and keep singling him out as doing really interesting work in that movie. The Danna brothers with Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, JNH's Fantastic Beasts possibly or Fernando Velazquez's A Monster Calls. If Giacchino kills it with Rogue One or hell, even if he does something really unexpected with Doctor Strange maybe he could find his way in there. There's also Justin Hurwitz's La La Land, which may or may not get disqualified since it's a musical.
  3. I think there are less than 10 times in about 50 years now that he was completely passed over in a year when he wrote anything so it just seems like a John Williams score is invariably considered one of the five best by the voters no matter what he's doing. At this point the question is "What's the reason x Williams score won't be nominated?" and for BFG that would be that it was a summer film for kids that wasn't a popular success. He had that situation with Spacecamp which was snubbed, so could happen. Then again there are always a lot of people in the Academy who will value a traditional approach above all and probably feel Williams is still in a category of his own. So I wouldn't be surprised either way.
  4. Nah, wherever you read that, that's wrong and they were nitpicking. There's only one scene that takes place at night in Lupin's office/the DADA room from what I can remember, when Lupin scolds Harry for using the map at night, and there is strong backlight coming into the dark room but it's supposed to be the moon, not the sun. It's a very cold light, not a warm one. Obviously the moon couldn't physically stream into a room and create shadows like it does in the movie, it's a very artificial light source but it creates an expressive image and interesting atmosphere, it's not a casual mistake. He does the same thing throughout the whole climax of the film, where the full moon comes out of shadow and brightly illuminates the characters' faces at key moments, almost as strong as sunlight. Again, impossible in real life, but it looks beautiful.
  5. I'm sure some people are working on that There is a bit of symmetry going on with Potter's structure, anyway.
  6. JFK, and Amazing Stories ("The Mission") if you count that. That one's not available here either!
  7. Maybe it's interesting that it didn't become an immediate influence but there's still time for all that. The kids and teenagers for whom LOTR will have been a musical touchstone are just now entering their 20s and 30s.
  8. Always nice to see Johnny out and about.
  9. After two Disney scores in a row It feels weird now to have my currently most anticipated OST coming out two weeks before the film release.
  10. Yeah, I also think the vast majority of things that generally come to mind within the Harry Potter universe and that were particularly special to the movies or made extra iconic through them were immediately introduced in the first film and so that's the one that will stick out for most people. Hogwarts, most of the primary characters/actors, Hedwig's Theme, Diagon Alley, Platform 9 3/4, The Forbidden Forest, ghosts, goblins, wands, owls, dragons, trolls, chocolate frogs, house sorting, Quidditch, The Invisibility Cloak, Animagus etc. That's all there from the beginning. For cinephiles, Azkaban will always be the hip choice, especially with Alfonso Cuaron's profile having risen in esteem since then and still going. Obviously the films got much more emotionally stark and violent in tone with intense and moody aesthetics but I think that's just something that's broadly acknowledged as part of the back half of the series as a whole, rather than being able to decisively single out any one film that did it better than the others. Psychologically, I don't find that they had much if anything to say on the subjects of "death, discrimination, losing innocence, war, political corruption, loss, depression" that the books didn't express much better and more completely in every one of those examples, not to mention other films. Yates's Order of the Phoenix is not exactly Ordinary People. Is there a film inside Rowling's book that could have competed? Maybe, but it's not the one they made.
  11. I don't think that's how he worked generally (could be wrong, I don't know that much about Elfman's process) but he did tell a story about having to do that on a plane for Batman.