The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

A lot of great music on there.

I wonder how many of those scores will be re-issued at some point.

I would love for The Robe to get reissued at some point, that is a gaping hole in my collection as far as I'm concerned! I'll definitely pick up this set though, great stuff indeed.

• 3 weeks later...

"A final, modest batch of CDs will be announced on Nov. 22"

"Modest"? What kind of advertising is that? I read that as, "We'll be announcing some crappy obscurities that no one wants"

That said, I take 'modest' to mean it's just a small batch. Perhaps 3 discs instead of the usual 4?

So we've got one batch next Monday, and another, far more exciting one, next Friday. And except for possibly Hook, we have no idea what any of them will be.

Neat.

"A final, modest batch of CDs will be announced on Nov. 22"

"Modest"? What kind of advertising is that? I read that as, "We'll be announcing some crappy obscurities that no one wants"

I'd rather read that, than them saying "our final batch of the year is coming. P-r-e-p-a-r-e....." and we get Stepmom: The Deluxe Edition.

I don't expect much from Varese for my period though. I've only bought one 'regular' club CD (Star Trek was a one-off thing that fans bombarded them for) ever. The only two nineties releases they've done were either sold out before I realised LEs existed (HA:2) or were poorly constructed (The Matrix). I'm not exactly confident.

If I were a betting man I'd say Goldsmith's The List Of Adrian Messenger is going to be one of the titles.

Which would be a most welcome title to my library.

For once, they're not over-hyping, and this is the result... :)

If I were a betting man I'd say Goldsmith's The List Of Adrian Messenger is going to be one of the titles.

Which would be a most welcome title to my library.

I don't think a single batch goes by when you don't make an extraordinarily accurate guess.

I'm not suggesting you have inside info but it's a little weird.

I think Adrian Messenger should have came before A Gathering Of Eagles. :)

I don't think a single batch goes by when you don't make an extraordinarily accurate guess.

I'm not suggesting you have inside info but it's a little weird.

I have no inside knowledge. If I did I wouldn't say anything at all, no guesses on anything.

However it's somewhat easy to figure out at times. Varese appears to be issuing all the pre-70's Goldsmtih titles that were unreleased, most from Universal. Plus you can get an idea as to what they have been releasing and go from there. North, Goldsmith, Bernstein, Waxman and Conti, to name a few, have been involved in a majority of releases.

Track list for Varese's upcoming 20th Century Fox: 75 Years Of Great Film Music 3disc set is up:

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/the-162/20th-Century-Fox-cln--75/Detail

TRACK LIST:

Disc One 1935 – 1960

1. 20th Century-Fox Fanfare (with CinemaScope extension) (:19) Alfred Newman

2. All About Eve 1950 Main Title / The Award (2:17) Alfred Newman

3. How Green Was My Valley 1941 The Family and Bronwen / Finale / End Title (8:10) Alfred Newman

4. The Song of Bernadette 1943 The Vision (4:16) Alfred Newman

5. Laura 1944 Main TItle (2:17) David Raksin

6. The Ghost And Mrs. Muir 1947 Prelude / Local Train / The Sea (3:54) Bernard Herrmann

7. Captain From Castile 1947 Conquest (4:08) Alfred Newman

8. Twelve O'Clock High 1948 Main Title (1:52) Alfred Newman

9. The Day The Earth Stood Still 1951 Prelude / Outer Space / Radar (3:45) Bernard Herrmann

10. Viva Zapata! 1952 Gathering Forces (3:24) Alex North

11. My Cousin Rachel 1952 Main Title (2:23) Franz Waxman

12. The Robe 1953 Main Title / Caligula's Arrival / Finale (4:23) Alfred Newman

13. Prince Valiant 1954 Main Title / King Aguar's Escape (4:53) Franz Waxman

14. Untamed 1955 Main Title (2:35) Franz Waxman

15. The Rains of Ranchipur 1955 Main Title (2:18) Hugo Friedhofer

16. How To Marry A Millionaire 1953 Street Scene (5:36) Alfred Newman

17. The Seven Year Itch 1955 Main Title (3:13) Alfred Newman

18. Three Coins In The Fountain 1954 Prelude / Rome (incorporates "Three Coins In The Fountain" written by Jule Styne and Sammy Cahn) (4:27) Victor Young

19. Love Is A Many-Splendored Thing 1955 Main Title / God Has Been Good / Finale (incorporates "Love Is A Many-Splendored Thing" written by Sammy Fain and Paul Francis Webster) (7:05) Alfred Newman

20. The Long, Hot Summer 1958 The Long, Hot Summer, Lyrics by Sammy Cahn, Performed by Jimmie Rodgers / Two Butterflies (5:02) Alex North

21. From The Terrace 1960 Love Theme (1:29) Elmer Bernstein

Disc Two 1961 – 1985

1. Cleopatra 1963 Main Title / Cleopatra Enters Rome (9:37) Alex North

2. The Sand Pebbles 1966 Overture / Main Title (5:08) Jerry Goldsmith

3. Planet Of The Apes 1968 Main Title / The Hunt (7:18) Jerry Goldsmith

4. Patton 1970 Main Title / German Advance (5:37) Jerry Goldsmith

5. Tora! Tora! Tora! 1970 Main Title (3:02) Jerry Goldsmith

6. The French Connection 1971 Main Title / This Is It (4:15) Don Ellis

7. The Poseidon Adventure 1972 Main Title (2:11) John Williams

8. The Paper Chase 1973 End Title (2:32) John Williams

9. Conrack 1974 Main Title (6:00) John Williams

10. The Omen 1976 Ave Satani (2:32) Jerry Goldsmith

11. Magic 1978 Main Title (2:02) Jerry Goldsmith

12. The Fury 1978 For Gillian / End Title (4:27) John Williams

13. Alien 1979 Main Title (4:09) Jerry Goldsmith

14. Norma Rae 1979 It Goes Like It Goes (Lyrics by Norman Gimbel Performed by Jennifer Warnes) (3:01) David Shire

15. Author! Author! 1982 Main Title (1:58) Dave Grusin

16. Max Dugan Returns 1983 End Title (2:23) David Shire

17. Romancing The Stone 1984 End Title (5:28) Alan Silvestri

18. Commando 1985 Prologue / Main Title (3:56) James Horner

Disc Three 1986 – 2010

1. Predator 1986 Main Title (3:51) Alan Silvestri

2. The Fly 1986 Main Title (1:54) Howard Shore

3. Lucas 1986 Main Title (2:43) Dave Grusin

4. Raising Arizona 1987 Way Out There (1:54) Carter Burwell

5. Wall Street 1987 Bud's Scam (2:48) Stewart Copeland

6. Big 1988 Opening (2:50) Howard Shore

7. Broadcast News 1987 Young Jane / Main Title (2:44) Bill Conti

8. Die Hard 1988 The Nakatomi Plaza / Gruber's Arrival (5:29) Michael Kamen

9. The Abyss 1989 Bud on the Ledge (3:14) Alan Silvestri

10. Hoffa 1992 End Credits (8:00) David Newman

11. Mrs. Doubtfire 1993 Main Title (3:00) Howard Shore

12. Speed 1994 The Rescue (4:03) Mark Mancina

13. Cast Away 2005 End Credits (3:45) Alan Silvestri

14. Unfaithful 2002 Unfaithful (2:37) Jan A.P. Kaczmarek

15. Ice Age 2002 Opening Travel Music (1:18) David Newman

16. I, Robot 2004 End Credits (3:15) Marco Beltrami

17. Fantastic Four 2005 Main Titles (2:33) John Ottman

18. Night At The Museum 2006 Night At The Museum (2:36) Alan Silvestri

19. Horton Hears A Who! 2008 Horton Suite (7:40) John Powell

20. Independence Day 1996 End Credits (9:07) David Arnold

Looks like the Paper Chase and Conrack cues are identical to what was on the FSM CD

Though, if some other label re-issues The Paper Chase, and you had this CD, you'd have the same amount of Conrack music and could sell your FSM Poseison/Paper/Conrack CD (assuming you also have the LLL Poseidon)

I'll keep it on my radar. It looks like a nice sampler of many scores I otherwise wouldn't buy. The Star Wars main title is noticeably absent, though I might have enough versions of that track by now.

I'll probably get this mainly for the two tracks I desire. It's stupid, but hey, it's a cool and cheap set otherwise.

I wonder if it will come in retarded packaging since the artwork image is not consistent with standard CD packaging shape.

It's a nice for those who may have missed out on some of those limited Fox releases thru FSM and Varese or if you are starting out on your film score odyssey.

... or if you are starting out on your film score odyssey.

That would be me.

I don't usually go for compilations, but I may just grab this at some point.

Er, if it's not an obtuse question...why no "Star Wars", or is Mr. L. keeping all the toys to himself, again?

I wasn't expecting Star Wars to be on there. Even though Fox owns the first film, Lucasfilm controls the rest and I imagine Varese would have paid through the nose for fees, although they could have used one of their re-recordings like they did on the 25th anniversary disc.

But these are all the original compositions, or so it would appear.

Fox doesn't own the first film. All six films are Lucasfilm productions, Fox was just the distributor.

All the other films in the 3CD set are Fox productions.

Snap, that makes sense. At least it's in chronological order. It accomplishes a lot of what I wanted to make myself with a "soundtrack sampler" by assembling main titles, end credits, and maybe action setpieces in a large iPod playlist to then put on random, but I stopped somewhere in the C's.

I'm buying this Fox set; hopefully together with some nice Club release. Then I'll only need the complete Paper Chase to make the FSM release redundant.

I'm buying this Fox set; hopefully together with some nice Club release.

Same here. There are two things I really like about this set: 1. it ain't a limited edition and 2. it really has a very user-friendly price. ;)

Fox doesn't own the first film. All six films are Lucasfilm productions, Fox was just the distributor.

All the other films in the 3CD set are Fox productions.

I'm fairly certain Fox DOES own the first film. I believe the only rights Lucas retained were character likenesses/marketing. He didn't have the money to self-fund Star Wars and needed studio backing. That's what I remember the case being, anyway. I could be wrong.

Is Conti's The Karate Kid really good? I Know it a classic, but I don't know should I buy it.

I have the Right Stuff, Masters of Universe, and the two North and South Box.

Yes, I've listened to the soundclip. It's GOOD.

And YES! Family Plot!

Is Conti's The Karate Kid really good? I Know it a classic, but I don't know should I buy it.

I think it's a pretty good score. I bought the box set with the other 3 scores when Varèse released that a couple of years ago.

As I said before in the other thread that Frank made, Karate Kid is an odd ball choice.

However, these scores I'll be passing on. I'll most likely buy Intrada's First Blood though.