Video Game Music

Quintus

What I love about Ty the Tasmanian Tiger soundtracks is that there's a main theme for the character that reoccurs throughout the various tracks in various ways, almost like how a film theme works. I rarely hear that approach in video game scoring, let alone a kids game like this. I doubt it's the first to do so, just one that always stood out to me. For example, 2:03 at the first link and 1:35 at the second link. 

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It freaks me out that Galaxy is 10 years old.

It amazes me that almost none of its music consists of old material. It's all new and grand orchestral score and yet it still feels like Mario. That game is truly a masterpiece on every front. 

After 3 years of hard work I'm excited and proud to finally present this progressive epic piece based on the Ocarina of Time soundtrack !

It was done in collaboration with a good friend of mine, and I feel this is the best thing I've done so far :)

Enjoy !

• 3 weeks later...

KIRBY 25TH ANNIVERSARY ORCHESTRA CONCERT - MORE DETAILS ON CD, BLU-RAY AND DVD RELEASES

- available exclusively from the official Kirby 25th Anniversary website at first
- pre-orders starting on November 8
- album includes a Memorial Arrange CD, with special arrangements of mostly tracks not performed during the concert (with live performances, vocals, etc.)
- as for the DVD / Blu-Ray releases, they include the full performance, including the talk-show segments with the game creators and composers
- CD release will be available for pre-order on the official Kirby 25th Anniversary website from November 8 until December 3
- DVD and BR releases will only last until November 24, and may even end up earlier than that if there’s too many orders

- Kirby’s 25th Anniversary Orchestra Concert [CD (2 CD) + Blu-ray] (8000 Yen)
Concert CD / Memorial Arrange CD (3 discs)
Full recording of the concert
Special box
Special booklet
Special badge (official Kirby 25th Anniversary website pre-order bonus)
Bonus: video of the game footage screened during the concert

- Kirby’s 25th Anniversary Orchestra Concert [CD (2 CD) + DVD] (7000 Yen)
Concert CD / Memorial Arrange CD (3 discs)
Full recording of the concert
Special box
Special booklet

- Kirby’s 25th Anniversary Orchestra Concert [CD (2 CD)] (3200 Yen)
Concert CD / Memorial Arrange CD (2 discs
Special booklet

- CD tracklist:
Kirby 25th Anniversary Grand Opening
Kirby: The Story of the Fountain of Dreams Medley
King Dedede and Meta Knight ・ Tag Medley
Kirby’s Dream Land 2: Friends Medley
Kirby’s Dream Land and Kirby 64 Medley
Kirby Super Star Medley
Kirby’s Air Ride Medley
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror and Kirby Squeak Squad Medley
Kirby Ball Games Medley
Kirby Triple Deluxe Medley
Kirby: Planet Robobot Medley
Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Medley
Ashita ha Ashita no Kaze ga Fuku (lit. Tomorrow, the Wind of Tomorrow Will Blow, ending of Kirby’s Dream Land)
Wish to the Galaxy: Staff Roll

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a cover of two popular video game tracks my former band did a few years ago (I'm on piano). The name gives some big clues, but go ahead and guess what they are anyways! ;)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3fTFQaZOyaoOVlNQ0JaSTB2WDA/view

Very clearly the work of Mahito Yokota (the lead composer of the Galaxy games).

I like it :) 

My god does he love flute trills

BREAKING NEWS UPDATE:

Apparently Yokota did not work on this game.  Well, whoever wrote/orchestrated this cue was definitely imitating Yokota's style 

• 3 weeks later...

I've no idea where the confirmation is/was/if it exists but it seems to be conventional wisdom that this track was composed by Koji Kondo himself.  I know Kondo was credited as a composer on the game but I don't know how anyone would know any credits for specific tracks right now.

Either way, if it is Kondo it's another classic from him.  This is some ace big band arranging.

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Since you brought Mario music on the table: from a recent interview with Jason Michael Paul (producer of the Legend Of Zelda Symphony):

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-11-23-zelda-concert-producer-i-just-want-to-bring-video-game-music-to-the-masses

I would DIE.  Oh man I hope it happens.  It'd be a little tricky due to the many different types of ensembles that Mario music over the decades would call for.  I love the Galaxy scores of course but it'd be a shame if it over-focused on that game because they're ones with the orchestral scores.  I think of Mario's musical legacy as primarily jazz with forays into other styles.

I guess it's telling about my feelings on Mario music that Puzzle Plank is my favorite cue from both Galaxy games

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this album, some variations on multiple Zelda themes. Sounds like mostly synth with some real instruments & vocals. I'm about halfway through and it's pretty good so far. I'd never heard of the artist before today.

'Sins of Hyrule' by Rozen.

Artist's site: http://music.rozen.audio/album/sins-of-hyrule

Looks like it's on Google Play Music, YouTube, Apple Music, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

@Disco Stu

Super Mario Odyssey OST announced

l-ost-parziale-di-super-mario-odyssey-so

A 12-track "Sound Selection" is available on iTunes tomorrow, while a 136 track, 4CD physical release is coming in February (in Japan)

http://nintendoeverything.com/mario-odyssey-sound-selection-coming-to-itunes-tomorrow-full-soundtrack-release-in-japan-in-february/

Pre-order link:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B078HF56HQ/

@TheGreyPilgrim

Did you hear about THIS yet? Leaked yesterday, on Christmas Day. The Reddit post has now reached the front page there. Read the comments, Marty is over the moon about it. A lot of the music was in the game, but only excerpts were used. This is the entire score and what was originally intended as a 'symphony for the Destiny universe', the musical foundation to be elaborated upon for all of the subsequent game releases over the ten year plan. That was before O'Donnell's big work/legal spat with Activision and Bungie kicked off, and the first game was completely overhauled at the last minute - trashing much of the original ideas (and music).

21 hours ago, Quintus said:

@TheGreyPilgrim

Did you hear about THIS yet? Leaked yesterday, on Christmas Day. The Reddit post has now reached the front page there. Read the comments, Marty is over the moon about it. A lot of the music was in the game, but only excerpts were used. This is the entire score and what was originally intended as a 'symphony for the Destiny universe', the musical foundation to be elaborated upon for all of the subsequent game releases over the ten year plan. That was before O'Donnell's big work/legal spat with Activision and Bungie kicked off, and the first game was completely overhauled at the last minute - trashing much of the original ideas (and music).

Has it ever been divulged what went on between them? I remember hearing they fired him out of the blue without explanation. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Main Theme for the cancelled Star Wars 1313. It was recorded at Abbey Road with the LSO.

Another piece from the soundtrack:

10 hours ago, karelm said:

Hey!  I worked on this!  Thanks for posting.

Isn't sound/music one of the last things to get done? If that's the case, it shows how far along 1313 was before the plug was pulled. Very tragic indeed...

3 hours ago, Gistech said:

Isn't sound/music one of the last things to get done? If that's the case, it shows how far along 1313 was before the plug was pulled. Very tragic indeed...

No, not in games.  That is true with films but games use game engines where the player controls the action resulting in the score being a game asset that is needed during the extensive testing process.  In contrast, films have to be locked (well mostly locked) so the composer has something to hit visually.  The big budget games we might have the recordings completed a year or more before the game is released so that means the game is mostly finished but then balanced, tested, debugged, fine tuned, etc for another year.  In some cases they will have multiple sessions spread out over time.  These triple A titles take years to make.  My bad luck is that this game was about 75% complete when Lucasarts was sold to Disney who disbanded it.  I know some of the score was recorded but not sure how much was or if the cues I worked on were. 

Looking through old notes, for this one there were two orchestras.  An "Imperial orchestra" of 80 musicians and a "Rebel Orchestra" of 75 musicians.  It was very percussive including ethnic percussion.

I was really excited for 1313. The Star Wars brand just seems to be shitting the bed in the game industry. Not a fan of how Lucasfilm is handling the property in this landscape. So much potential wasted.

In other news, I was listening to The Post in iTunes and Portal 2 struck my eye, just a few albums up. This track alone brings a rush of wonderful memories:

My favorite VG soundtrack is Final Fantasy X. So many great themes and melodies.

Also, I don't like RPGs. I like point-and-click adventure games.

My favorite VG tracks are:

1) Crystal - A Link to the Past (probably the most iconic track in a video game I've heard)

2) Leftovers of the Dreams of the Strong - Xenogears (it's the part after 1:34: like an epic Egyptian dance, the constant tempo is hypnotic)

3) A Chapel - Final Fantasy Tactics (just good fun and interesting fantasy)