GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

15 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Nope.

Tolkien's concept was that, at some point, Elves will have come back to Eriador and dig a canal that would it from the mainland, forming what would eventually become Britian.

Nevertheless, continuing invasions of that island - including those of the Romans (Rumhoth) - would make them retreat again et voilà!

Originally yeah but he dropped that idea as time went on and later writings kind of ignore it 

But he never truly let go of the idea that Middle Earth would eventually morph into our own world. The whole idea is that in reading his works, you're reading a translation of the Red Book.

Prior to The Lord of the Rings, when this metamorphosis was to happen after the events of War of Wrath, he had several concepts of how that could come about. The original and most prominent idea was that Tol Eressea itself would become Britian (and a splinter broken off of it would be Ireland) but this later idea of the Elves digging the English Channel is still applicable to the post-Lord of the Rings version of the legendarium, so that's the one I always go with.

Its an idea that was - curiosly - kept only in the Rankin/Bass TV cartoons, where its established in the opening narration.

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Nope.

Tolkien's concept was that, at some point, Elves will have come back to Eriador and dig a canal that would it from the mainland, forming what would eventually become Britian.

Nevertheless, continuing invasions of that island - including those of the Romans (Rumhoth) - would make them retreat again et voilà!

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

But he never truly let go of the idea that Middle Earth would eventually morph into our own world. The whole idea is that in reading his works, you're reading a translation of the Red Book.

Prior to The Lord of the Rings, when this metamorphosis was to happen after the events of War of Wrath, he had several concepts of how that could come about. The original and most prominent idea was that Tol Eressea itself would become Britian (and a splinter broken off of it would be Ireland) but this later idea of the Elves digging the English Channel is still applicable to the post-Lord of the Rings version of the legendarium, so that's the one I always go with.

Its an idea that was - curiosly - kept only in the Rankin/Bass TV cartoons, where its established in the opening narration.

I didn't know this! His original plans were that Middle-Earth becomes earth?

So he was essentially just setting up, in essence, an alternative scripture that explained the origin of the world? Like the bible?

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

You thought his writings took place on some different world?

In Concerning Hobbits Tolkien basically describes Hobbits and why they arent commonly seen today, setting it in the ancient, forgotten history of our planet. 

In fact Bilbo's writings, continues by Frodo, and later added on by Sam, Merry etc are what Tolkien claimed in LOTR was what formed the basis for his whole Mythology. The socalled Red Book of Westmarch. This is mainly limited to the ROTK appendices though, iirc.

It's never been my favourite part of the mythology.

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It's never been my favourite part of the mythology.

Same.

Especially the actual mechanics of it.

I thought it was fairly common knowledge that LOTR and Middle-Earth was his attempt at developing a proper English mythology for Britain anyway.

Now that I think about it, I kinda did know that his middle Earth turns into AN Earth, just not THIS Earth. I would have never thought that.

With the things like I think numenor or wherever that island is called called sinking into the sea West of middle Earth and the eldar or whatever they are high elves curving the waters so that humans who sailed West would just come back on the cost of the East while elves would keep going in a straight line to land of the eldar or whatever that is.

But I never thought of it as THIS Earth. That doesn't make sense. How could it be this Earth, with the same landmass and continent structure or biological creatures or fossils. So that part seems silly.

Its not impossible to make the topography of Middle Earth roughly match that of Euroasia, which is what Tolkien intended for it to become.

5 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Well strictly speaking, MIddle Earth is just Europe, not the whole world. Think "Mediterranean."

3 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

But I never thought of it as THIS Earth. That doesn't make sense. How could it be this Earth, with the same landmass and continent structure or biological creatures or fossils. So that part seems silly.

But Eru Illuvatar changed the shape of the Earth.

So apparently the petition was not about actually wanting a remake, just for sending a message.

An r/freefolk (spoilery, memey community) user decided to do something better and started a fundraiser for Emilia Clarke's brain injury recovery charity that she started after living through 2 life-threatening brain aneurysms. The the donations have been growing from the Free Folk, multiple sites took up the story, Emilis responded to it in a video message... and the moderators of r/gameofthrones (casual one with spoilers having to be well marked, 90% of the content being look I drew Daenerys/look I made this cake) kept removing posts mentioning it for a week. Imagine being such a sour cunt that another subreddit you don't like thought of it and hosts it rather than yours, that you keep blocking more than 2 million people from seeing (and potentially taking part in) a fucking charity fundraiser on a page relevant to the topic. 

They finally allowed and stickied it 9 hours ago, with some bullshit excuse of automods, and not knowing exactly what they removed, and it's bumped up by almost 50% since then. The reason for the change of heart was many users asking the main Reddit site to remove the moderators, and apparently NYT collecting info about this blocking story very interestedly.

Here it is btw:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/justicefordaenerys

12 hours ago, The Original said:

So I've finished Season 1, but it'll be a while until I can see more because that was the only season I bought on blu-ray about five years ago.

So your commentaries are over? Good. 

I mean, too bad. 

This whole Game of Thrones drama actually reminded me of this Damon Lindelof story of when George R.R. Martin compared the ending of Lost to someone leaving a turd at your doorstep.

Karol

15 hours ago, Quintus said:

I'm still not sure I liked the way The Wire ended. I like the final scene, but the show took some really weird turns in its final season and it left a lot of things hanging (although I guess that was part of the point).

I've never seen The Shield, but I keep hearing about it. Is it really that good?

I'm wondering the same thing. Never watched any of The Shield, probably because I always thought it was a CSI tier sort of show. I guess I'm wrong.

I used to watch it, in my youth. I remember it being very immersive.

Its the Game of Thrones to CSI's Xena, in terms of its worldview, and its approach to violence and sex.

On 5/30/2019 at 9:03 PM, TheUlyssesian said:

Seems like an absolutely preposterous idea to me - that he'd want to do something like that.

Sub creation.

On 6/2/2019 at 8:16 PM, crocodile said:

This whole Game of Thrones drama actually reminded me of this Damon Lindelof story of when George R.R. Martin compared the ending of Lost to someone leaving a turd at your doorstep.

Karol

That’s poor form from Martin. 

Lost became a turn on the doorstep long before it got to the end of season 2 never mind the very end.

Lost was too ambitious and wasn't following any direction from a series of books like Game of Thrones or their author (who was still alive).  

Ok I finally watched the last season over the last few days. Some thoughts (may well have been covered in these few pages here too):

- after all the furore surrounding episode 3 onwards, I actually did not think ep 3 to 5 were bad. They were problematic, to be sure, but to my mind the show had been tapering off in quality ever since somewhere in season 4 or 5. The problems of the last season mostly stemmed from an acceleration toward the finale, without sufficient breathing space, coupled with some annoyingly unrefined writing. Examples of the latter have probably been discussed to death: the dragon being killed so easily in ep 4, Dany and Tyrion walking up to Cersei's army unguarded and coming out unscathed, etc. Annoying yes, but not season destroying. 

- Most of the character arcs were fine -- the series always hinted at Dany's tyranny. It was fated to be, really. The only other choice was to have her killed before she went mad. That kind of decision (to kill her off) would have been quite the norm in the first 4-5 seasons, but not in the last stretch. The one thing that defined GoT at the start was how no one was safe, how you could never guess where the characters headed to. It felt organic, as characters grew out naturally, whether it be life or death. The series could afford that back then, and it was all the better for it. But as it draws towards the conclusion, it becomes extremely challenging to continue that trend, as that kind of chaos means character arcs can't be completed and loose ends remain loose. The writing begins to take sides and homes into the eventual fate of each character. With more time and episodes the writing could have been refined but with just a measly six episodes events begin to feel unnatural or unearned. 

- I feel the quality of the series started declining with the added emphasis on the white walkers. Before that it was glorious politics and backstabbing. But when the white walkers became a focal point the series lost steam. The white walkers and the night king are terrifying, of course, but they are also soulless and empty when compared to any of the other layered characters. To have the focus shifted to them really took away a lot from the show. At the same time, everyone knew that the white walkers were almost certainly only part of the agenda; the other was the tussle for the iron throne. So the last season had a lot to contend with -- dealing with the night king, and concluding, you know, the game of throne. The writers dealt with it by placing the battle with the dead early into the season. And while many found it underwhelming, I thought the conclusion to that story was fine -- having Arya deal the killing blow made sense to her arc, and the fashion in which it happened was cool as fuck. I think people bemoaned the fact that the night king fell so easily, with nary a sword fight, but honestly, another sword fight...? That would have been boring. And more zombies? Boring. The whole white walker stuff was misguided from the start to my mind, so I'm glad that was out of the way. 

- Once the night king was defeated, the show had to revert to its original charms of politics, allegiances, and backstabbing. And yet, because the show devoted so much time to the white walkers, much of the momentum was lost. When the show suddenly shifted gears in ep 4, it almost felt like a retread of the earlier, superior seasons. There was a sense of "we're back to this again?" to the proceedings. It was still entertaining, but the magic was lost. And compounding the problem was the scarcity of airtime left, which made the writing hurried. 

- Cersei's demise was very weak. After all that pouting and show of might, to just utterly fail at doing anything during the battle was underwhelming. Dany's demise too was underwhelming. Again the arcs were fine. I don't think anyone expected any less than deaths for these characters. But because of how hurried the writing was, it neither felt earned or satisfying. Then again, the show had written itself into a corner by this point. You could prolong the number of episodes, but the unfolding drama would feel repetitive and pale in comparison to earlier seasons. Essentially, the drama and characters expanded so wonderfully and organically early on that bringing all them to a close was always going to be in one way or another disappointing. 

- But all that stuff after Dany's death? Holy shit that was utterly horrendous. Nothing could excuse that.