What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

21 hours ago, Richard said:

Amicus, right?

I love that stuff, too. THE HOUSE THAT DRIPPED BLOOD is a good one. What's the one with Jon Pertwee, and an evil cloak?

Indeed it was. Saw it amongst The Horror Channel's on-demand offerings, and thought why not. Not sure about the Pertwee one. 

All I can say is they scared easier in the early Seventies ... I chuckled throughout.

15 hours ago, Stefancos said:

IMG_0386.JPG

Ah! TERROR OF THE AUTONS. Nice.

11 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

One disappointment was that despite one of the stories starring Britt Ekland and Charlotte Rampling, there was no gratuitous toplessness at all. Bah! 

Hee-hee. If you want to see Charlotte Rampling topless, you've got to watch either THE NIGHT PORTER, or ZARDOZ.

As for Britt Eckland..."she's just coming, sir" :)

On my flights to and from Paris, I watched 7 films.

Suicide Squad

Terrible by all accounts. It felt like a TV pilot in that a bunch of horribly written and acted characters are introduced and then one event happens where they all work together to set up the series. But this is the formula for all superhero films nowadays, right? Just episodic shite that feeds into the next film. Jared Leto was embarrassing to watch. Don't know why this film got so much hype and attention leading up to its release. It also doesn't feel right that Batman exists in a universe where ancient witches and demons exist and can destroy the entire world just by... having a heart? Or something? I don't know, is Batman v Superman as bad as this?

Focus

Followed up one Will Smith-Margot Robbie headliner with another. I surprisingly really enjoyed this one. It's nothing new or special in that it's your typical caper/heist film, but I thought it was handled really well and done in a way that I personally haven't seen before. Will Smith runs a massive crime syndicate that stages elaborate "flash mobs" of robberies in public spaces and then sells everything on the black market. Some of those set-ups were pretty cool, and that's a great way to describe this film. It's fun and light-hearted, but with enough heated twists to keep it engaging. Reminded me a lot of Tony Gilroy's Duplicity. Good performances all around, and a nice sense of direction and cinematography.

The Accountant

Ben Affleck is an autistic accountant... and an assassin. Not much to write home about but it was decent. Had a more comedic air to it than I expected, but I guess you can't really stick Anna Kendrick into a serious crime drama without having some type of comic relief. It gets bonus points for having John Lithgow. There are worse ways to kill a couple hours.

The Great Buck Howard

Inconsequential nepotistic "coming-of-age" (Colin Hanks was 31 when this came out) comedy about a law school dropout that gets a job as a washed-up magician's touring manager. Complete with cheesy opening and closing narration, and a love interest angle with Emily Blunt and her weird American accent. At 90 minutes it was harmless entertainment, and Malkovich is always fun to watch ham it up. Tom Hanks produces, gives job to son Colin, and then plays his father in the film too!

Before The Flood

Leonardo DiCaprio's passion project documentary about climate change. Well done and I learned a couple new things that I didn't know before. Important topic, but ultimately feels redundant in that anyone who probably watches this already knows the issue. Preaching to the choir, as they say. I already liked the score on album but seeing it work in film made me appreciate it a bit more. Doc scores are hard to write, and I think Reznor and friends did a great job with it.

Youth

This was the only film I watched that I wish I didn't see on an airplane. Gorgeous cinematography and camera work on this one. Michael Caine and Harvey Keitel are great, and Rachel Weisz and Paul Dano are good too. Abstract, at times surreal, and overall a strong film. Didn't realize is was directed by Paolo Sorrentino until the credits. This is the first film of his that I've seen, but I recognize the name from the attention The Great Beauty got, 4 years ago?! Man time flies, I recall Sharky calling it pretentious shit like it was yesterday! Also wasn't aware he directed This Must Be The Place, another film I've been meaning to see for some time.

1 minute ago, Koray Savas said:

Suicide Squad

Don't know why this film got so much hype and attention leading up to its release.

Because the marketing campaing frankly wasn't bad.

1 minute ago, Koray Savas said:

I don't know, is Batman v Superman as bad as this?

Not quite. But it still isn't particularly great. If you're gonna watch it, though, better watch directly the Director's cut.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Not quite. But it still isn't particularly great. If you're gonna watch it, though, better watch directly the Director's cut.

How many DC Universe films are there now? Is it just Man Of Steel, Batman v Superman, and this?

Yes.

The fourth one in Wonder Woman, and comes out this summer.  The fifth one is Justice League, and comes out this fall.

3 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

JL looks bad (it's a TV DOP and it shows) and is going to be defeated by Wonder Woman.

I got this feeling from Suicide Squad too. There was no scale or depth to the framing and camerawork. It was the epitome of pedestrian.

30 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

People thought Batman v Superman was going to save the DC Universe.

Then, when it didn't, people thought Suicide Squad was going to save the DC Universe.

Now that it didn't, people think Wonder Woman will save the DC Universe....

Indeed!

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

Now that it didn't, people think Wonder Woman will save the DC Universe....

All I'm saying is that Wonder Woman will beat Justice League. If not, I will eat my hat.

Of course, nobody knew Trump would win either, so maybe JL will come out on top anyway. 

The Ice Pirates

This is freaking terrible. One of the umpteenth 1980s films jumping on the "Star Wars" bandwagon, with a juvenile and half-baked script (its idea of humor is having the pirates break in a bathroom where one alien is on the toilet farting). It's basically a B-movie swashbuckler in space opera clothing, but it's not even enjoyable in that bad '80s way. The decent cast, including Anjelica Huston and Ron Perlman, is terribly wasted. Even Bruce Broughton's score leaves a lot to be desired.

On 2017-5-16 at 8:12 PM, Richard said:

Ah! TERROR OF THE AUTONS. Nice.

Hee-hee. If you want to see Charlotte Rampling topless, you've got to watch either THE NIGHT PORTER, or ZARDOZ.

As for Britt Eckland..."she's just coming, sir" :)

I've seen Zardoz ... utterly, utterly bonkers. 

Not seen The Night Porter, but from what I know about it it sounds like a pretty harrowing watch. 

Looks like The Ice Pirates thought that it might as well rip off Indiana Jones and Mad Max into the bargain, as well as Star Wars - 

p8116_p_v8_aa.jpg

The hunchback of Notre Dame (1996).

I decided to watch this one because the TV guide only offered mindless, shallow action movies other than this one, which aren't my cup of tea. In the beginning I had some misgivings about it being too childish for me, but then the music started. WHAT, A, SCORE! I just LOVED the chords that accompanied the words 'Notre Dame' in the first cue. Then the bells came, then the organ, then the choir... The captain's theme is perfect as well, I can't stop chanting 'with fire, with fire...' They really have to do this one live in concert and there'd better be a good commercial release! As it happens, I had already heard a suite in concert a week ago, but that was played by a youth orchestra that didn't have a string section. Never thought the real thing would sound so enchanting.

The story was not bad either. Thanks to the aforementioned concert, I already knew how it was gonna end, but never mind. Esmeralda did sound artificial at times, but, again, never mind. Can't get over that score!

It's got amazing heights and dismal lows, but the score is Menken's best and Hellfire and the opening sequence are probably my two favorite sequences of the Disney renaissance. Tony Jay was incredible

1 hour ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi

It's just not very good, is it?

That's what I said in 1983! The Emperor-Luke confrontation was what pulled me back in.

Moonraker. Derivative, yes, but I didn't mind that at all. The villain, ending and bevvy of beauties (dixit audio-describer) were predictable, but still enjoyable. And the score was not derivative. Very glad John Barry swapped the blaring trombones for more thoughtful and effective music.

3 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

I thought it was quite good. Not nearly as good as IV or V, but it has its moments. The death of Vader is one of the most poignant and emotional scenes in the saga.

5 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

It's more uneven than the other two, but its strengths are very strong.

Watching Raiders of the Lost Ark tonight. It strikes me now that one reason I don't think a modern Spielberg Indy film could work is Janusz Kaminski.  He's a brilliant artist but his florid, maximalist style just doesn't fit with Indiana Jones.  I'm so in love with Slocombe's visual style in the original trilogy, the way those films look have the muted, rich tones of the best 1950s technicolor.  Just gorgeous.  Crystal Skull was so garish in comparison and it didn't work.

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

But the strengths are too few in number to make it a good movie.

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Watching Raiders of the Lost Ark tonight. It strikes me now that one reason I don't think a modern Spielberg Indy film could work is Janusz Kaminski.  He's a brilliant artist but his florid, maximalist style just doesn't fit with Indiana Jones.  I'm so in love with Slocombe's visual style in the original trilogy, the way those films look have the muted, rich tones of the best 1950s technicolor.  Just gorgeous.  Crystal Skull was so garish in comparison and it didn't work.

Hey, I can agree wholeheartedly with you after all. I've been wanting Spielberg to ditch Kaminski for a very long time. As longterm collaborators go, he's no Michael Kahn, or that other guy whatshisface... John Williams. 

8 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

47 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

But the strengths are too few in number to make it a good movie.

Agreed on all counts, but when ROTJ gets it right (the battle for Endor), it really gets it right.

The problem is, nobody actually cares about what their doing. The cast looks so bored.

Steef's right; where is that spark between Leia, and Han? Where is the determination within Luke, to turn the most evil man in the universe (who, by the way, just happens to be his dad!), back to the light side?

The film is missing both motivation, and a sense of purpose.

It's easy to pour scorn on ROTJ, especially after the previous two films, but, as threequels go, it's still a fun ride, which might just have the best STAR WARS score, of all. I revisit this score far more than any other SW music, especially CD two - BROTHER/SISTER, FATHER/SON onwards; breathtaking.

Watching as an adult, I could now live without the Ewoks ... sure, they're cute to begin with. But by the time you've got to scenes that basically consist of overgrown teddy bears taking down Imperial Walkers ... ugh.  

Am I the only one who doesn't give a single tinker's cuss, if an Ewok gets killed? I just don't care. I didn't give a fuck, in 1983, and I don't give a fuck in 2017, so there!

Sweep, they weren't AT-ATs, they were AT-STs :P (but I take your point).

In fact, where was the Walker? Was it in the shop, that afternoon?

Considering how low into stupidity the prequels would take us, the Ewoks deserve more respect as the point Lucas said, "if you think this is bad, wait till you grow up."