What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

You're just baiting Alex! ;)

That Koray loves it merely proves that the majority of the people love intricate plot driven flicks like Inception and Shutter Island, filled with flashbacks, confusion and a surprise ending a la Black Mirror. I mostly remember a very bad directed movie with scenes so unconvincing that they made me frown.

6 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

That Koray loves it merely proves that the majority of the people love intricate plot driven flicks like Inception and Shutter Island, filled with twists and a surprise ending a la Black Mirror. I mostly remember a very bad directed movie with unconvincing scenes that made me frown.

I don’t “love” it for its plot. Everyone guessed the ending from the trailer. 

The book is great too. 

The movies I watched last week:

Clear and Present Danger

Okay.  Decent as far as action-dramas go.  The cinematography feels too saturated at times.  Some good sequences, and Ford and Dafoe deliver respectable performances.  Nicely structured movie. 3/4

Patriot Games

Pretty good, methinks.  The movie certainly is dark.  Ford really sells Jack Ryan, quite impressively.  The plot is a tad far fetched, but there is no denying its suspense and impact.  I fault the boat chase: it would have been better to have an ending more reflective of the book's.  Now, Horner's score.  I believe it is quite effective, even engaging   But, if seems to focus solely on the psyche of the terrorists.  Some kind of quietly heroic material is conspicuously absent.  3.5/4

Lincoln

Perhaps not as engaging as I expected, but a very good film nonetheless.  Took awhile before I feel it really gets into a groove.  Jones, Field and Day give magnificent turns, of course, and the screenplay is fantastic.  Iffy about the cinematography.  3.5/4

Alexander Nevsky

Classic, no doubt.  The scene in Pskov remains chilling.  Battle sequence remains impressive.  Music is good, that goes without saying.  Pity the recording has aged. 4/4

Julius Caesar (1953)

Very good indeed.  Brando and Mason are fantastic, but Gielgud is massive.  Very impressed with the direction and cinematography.  Excellent approach. 4/4  

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I enjoyed it. The sweaty atmosphere reminded me of Cape Fear, and even Body Heat. Shutter Island isn't amazing or anything, but it's still well worth watching.

Remember folks: JWFAN isn't the final word on movies.

48 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I don’t “love” it for its plot. Everyone guessed the ending from the trailer. 

The book is great too. 

Yeah, I also wasn't as taken by the plot or "content". I liked the mood of it. And I think the use of pre-existing music was very interesting as well.

Karol

wolfen_1981_original_film_art_spo_2000x.

'Wolfen'

...is a rather multidimensional movie (certainly not a 'classic' horror movie), though it tells its sparse plot relatively straight. It is about the clash of an archaic, long forgotten world and the modern age that is corrupted (Michael Wadleigh portraits the Big Apple of the early 80's as epitome of decadence, dirt, smut, violence and crime). The ruins of the Bronx look frighteningly

'end of days' and presciently the movie frames the mysterious murders as acts of terrorism (the police suspects), an explanation/simplification that is as wrong as it is shortsighted.

What it really is about is indian magic and intelligent wolves, who are perhaps ancient deities and on a warpath against real-estate speculators who want to take their habitat. It's a wonderfully cool, mysterious and enigmatic affair yet as rugged and tangible as a NY skyscraper in the winter sky.

Bears mention: Albert Finney, gin-soaked voice gloriously present, a terrific and complex sound design full of winds that echo through the streets and city noises that give it tremendous atmosphere. Horner's score, citing Charles Ives's stark 'Unanswered Question' in a stroke of á propos genius, is a great early example of the composer's talent.

For the Holkoween finale...

E.T. the Extraterrestrial (Seen before, big shock)

Well I'm a bawling mess. An absolute cinematic and musical masterpiece.

So, 31 daily movies 31 days, 31 (and then some) movies, most of them fresh to me. Out of that 34 or so, only 1 I didn't care for enough to actually sit through it. 

Which of the new ones will I actually keep around?

-The Wolf Man - A true classic, I don't know why I haven't seen it before.

-The Masque of Red Death - That incredible ending reevaluates the entire experience, will have to revisit sometime.

-Suspiria - fantastic style and atmospheric work, gotta check out the "original" Italian dub even if that means losing Harper's voice.

-the Langella Dracula - Williams' score, gotta do an isolated score track when I get the Varese set, plus I do actually like it. Will look into the colour restoration someday.

-An American Werewolf in London because it's a great mix of great elements.

-Bram Stoker's Dracula because it was just so damn fun to witness!

Huh, kinda like a checklist of genres, completely unintentionally one from everything - atmospheric Universal, stylish Vincent Price, stylish bloody eurohorror, romantic chiller, horror-comedy and over-the-top hodgepodge of fun.

@Holko I'm just about to start with E.T.! And also, you watch 31 movies daily? Am I getting that right?

Oh, I see your edit. :lol:

1 hour ago, Steve McQueen said:

I appreciate the darkness and mood of the candlelight scenes, but other times, I just don't know.

Have you seen Solo? You'll might like the lighting, rather, the lack thereof. :lol:

I guess I didn't realize you were into cinematography and such until recently. Nice.

The Hobbit, AUJ.

This is definitely my favourite one in the trilogy. There's something about it that the others lack, even though I don't know what it is yet. I just feel in Middle-earth when watching it, unlike the two sequels which will have to wait for another evening. At least they didn't seem to have made this film for the money: Frodo's cameo doesn't bother me, the prologue is great, the battles are lengthy but just not too long to be boring, the riddle sequence is amazing and even Thorin is starting to grow on me.

The score is the best one in the trilogy as well, but the mix is too bass-heavy. Yes, Peter Jackson messed around with some music and a few thematic statements don't add up at all, but the music still works very well. Even though it shows disrespect towards Howard Shore, that Nazgul music at the end is so fantastic that I will overlook its placement. The Misty Mountains theme is absolutely spectacular, unlike the irritatingly simplistic Erebor motif, and the Azog story receives glorious choral accompaniment. The score (and Ian McKellen's dialogue) is plagued by lousy sound editing, however.

Stonehearst Asylum - darkly entertaining slice of 'Victorian Gothic', loosely based on an Edgar Allan Poe short story. With Jim Sturgess, Kate Beckinsale, Ben Kingsley, Michael Caine and David Thewlis.

On 10/29/2018 at 10:41 AM, Stefancos said:

I can go for many many many months without even remembering it exists.

I can't, because it is THE unpopular John Williams score and THE unpopular Steven Spielberg movie. The lack of interest in that score itself is what it makes noticable again. I forget about Stepmom and The Patriot more often.

Invictus

Clint does an inspirational sports flick. This wasn't really my thing. But I get why Clint decided to make, because he'd left a trail of dark and sombre films in the 2000s and probably wanted to end the decade with his own Chariots of Fire in a sense.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Seeing Die Hard in the cinema in December!

That is so 1988.

I watched Santa Claus: The Movie with the kids last year, finally got the Jarre score after having a fondness for it for many years, but forgot to listen to it before Xmas 2017 passed by. So I've had to wait a whole year to listen to it. And soon it'll be time! (my god I almost sound Christmasy).

19 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I have had months and years go by without thinking about Sleepers!

The bass guitar (or is it a bass synth?) somewhere in the beginning of the CD will occasionally pop into my head.

Escape from Alcatraz

Anyone else laugh when you see an actor's bum in a movie? I always just found it funny. Anyhoo, ever notice Clint's movies, whether he directed them or not, are usually really grim? He did gritty before it was trendy.

Innocents-Main.jpg

The Innocents

If i were into silly Top Ten lists, this enchanted british spooker would surely make it. Deborah Kerr, in one of her countless flawless performances, plays a governess for two children who becomes convinced that the house and her young protégés are haunted by fateful events of the past. The morbid story by Henry James ('The Turn of the Screw') is translated with intelligence and, for this genre, rare subtlety. The victorian chill is exquisitely rendered in Freddie Francis' black and white photography that lingers on the big spooky mansion and its spacious gardens. A children's song anticipates i. e. 'A Nightmare on Elm Street' but what distinguishes Jack Clayton's exemplary version (Alejandro Amenabar's 'The Others' is another) is the virtuoso balance it holds between supernatural ghost story and portrait of madness and delusion. Get the Blu-Ray.

On 11/2/2018 at 7:54 AM, Quintus said:

I watched Santa Claus: The Movie with the kids last year, finally got the Jarre score after having a fondness for it for many years, but forgot to listen to it before Xmas 2017 passed by. So I've had to wait a whole year to listen to it. And soon it'll be time! (my god I almost sound Christmasy).

On 11/2/2018 at 8:05 AM, publicist said:

Mancini

Lee, are you sure it was Jarre? Like Pub,  I always remember it being Mancini. Was this a rejected score?

The Shape of Water

I'm not sure what this all meant, or what Gillmerro El Toro was trying to say, but it's a pretty movie, I suppose. I was disappointed it didn't become some trashy monster-on-the-loose flick like I'd imagined. At least Sally Hawkins has a surprisingly cute bum.

I understood it as another plea for society's outcasts/outsiders done as a fantasy whimsy, kind of 'Creature form the Black Lagoon' with the heroine fucking the creature. Why Del Toro found it necessary to pile up several of such pieties to score additional brownie points (Richard Jenkins as the closeted gay being dissed) i don't know.

Just now, Chen G. said:

Subtlety is overrated, anyway.

The Silence of the Lambs, for instance, is a good example of an excellent film...with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

You don't seem to understand Silence Of The Lambs very well.