Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

It reuses the word Jedi, too. Previously in 7 titles they haven't reused a key Star Wars noun in a subsequent film title. Phantom, Clones, Sith, Empire, Jedi, Force.

But I'm okay with that if the central focus of the film is Luke and Rey's story. No point having 'Dark Side', 'Resistance' or 'First Order' in the title if they aren't really the thematic focus.

Isn't "Phantom" more of an adjective in this context because it's describing the "Menace"?

Probably. It's likely one of those other pointless things that literate people use to sound smart... you know, proverbs? Pronouns? Verbjectives? Ad-herbs?

I doubt that Knights of Ren knows about Force ghosts. Even if they strike "the last jedi", Luke, as a force ghost, will be able to achieve Rey's formation.

I doubt that Snokes knows that too. After all, It's really a Jedi thing. Sith can't achieve that, well not the same way as Jedi.

Vader surely didn't tell anybody about the disapearing of Obi-Wan... as he didnt really understood what happened.

Oh, I remember that in the Dark Horses comics, the ancient Sith where able to appear as ghosts using Sith's magic. But if I remember well, it's a trick, not the real thing. They where more past visions than real "alive" ghosts.

If Luke turns to a Force ghost in the next episode, it will be a surprise to many people. Of course, not for the die hard fans...

Well, except for the die-hard fans, many people don't even know why or how Ben turned to a Force Ghost.

The little sentence Yoda says to Obi-Wan at the end of Revenge of The Sith, the link with Qui Gon Jinn... this is all but clear... and if you didn't saw the Clone Wars animated series, you don't even know how Jedi manage to learn that "power".

Of course, there is a little possibility that Snoke or Kylo knows about Force ghosts... It can complicate things... because... in this case, they know they have to "neutralize" Skywalker, without killing him at any cost.

Not so easy to run after The Last Jedi...

3 minutes ago, Daniel Clamp said:

I never bothered with that computer show made for infants. And the characters all look weird. Is it necessary to watch?

Only the three episodes where Yoda passes the trials to become a Force Ghost.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Voices

"Yoda is deeply unsettled when he hears a voice from beyond the grave: the voice of Qui-Gon Jinn. Knowing that it is impossible for a Jedi to retain his identity after Death, the Jedi Council begins to worry that Yoda may be corrupted by the influence of the dark side. Determined to find answers, Yoda escapes the Jedi Temple to follow the disembodied voice."[1]

In Québec, the newspaper La Presse, asked Disney about the French title of Episode VIII, to know if it's Le dernier Jedi (singular form), Les derniers Jedi (plural form) or La dernière Jedi (feminine form).

Normally, Disney gives simultaneously the different translations of their movies to journalists. In this case, they answered that the information was not yet available.

I have a bad feeling about this...

If Yoda is to be believed on his deathbed, it's singular. 

When gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be. 

If Yoda taught Obi-Wan how to lie, then there could be any number of Jedi still around thirty years after Endor, and they're all the last. 

For whatever reason, JJ changed the font used for the film title in the crawl.

The episode’s title is set with a condensed version of News Gothic, when it should be set in Univers, Ultra Condensed.

It's just a weird change to make but hardly worth losing sleep over (though I'm sure some OCD fanboy will).

On 23-1-2017 at 7:09 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

So i'm just like a normal moviegoer with these new films. So that it my point. I want the films explain what happened. the way these films are executed is assuming people know things from other media.

Except the other media don't quite explain it either. Not yet, anyway.

I've been reading some, but so far the dots have not been connected.

As far as I'm aware anyway....

On 23-1-2017 at 8:51 PM, Stefancos said:

Did Star Wars explain the relationship between the then still active Old Republic and the Rebel Alliance?

Did Star Wars even mention the Old Republic?

That was superseded by the Empire before the movie even started, no?

Just now, Pieter_Boelen said:

Did Star Wars even mention the Old Republic?

That was superseded by the Empire before the movie even started, no?

"The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away forever"

-Grand Moff Tarkin

Governor Tarkin: The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I have just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away forever. 
General Tagge: But that's impossible! How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy? 
Governor Tarkin: The regional governors now have direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station. 

&

Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi: For over a thousand generations, the Jedi knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the old Republic... before the dark times... before the empire.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Governor Tarkin: The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I have just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away forever. 
General Tagge: But that's impossible! How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy? 
Governor Tarkin: The regional governors now have direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station. 

Jinx!

And obi wan's mention of the republic as if he lived in it (and luke's father). So it is not that far in time

And you have the novelization where in the prologue it describes a crude plot of the prequel trilogy.

3 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Except the other media don't quite explain it either. Not yet, anyway.

I've been reading some, but so far the dots have not been connected.

As far as I'm aware anyway....

Yeah, that's another thing...until this trilogy is finished and everything revealed...they are just releasing filler material with barely any relevance. So there you have almost ten years waiting for the true new trilogy backstory... I hope they plan to make a 'rebels-clone wars' like TV series after ROTJ, with luke, leia and han...

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

"The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away forever"

-Grand Moff Tarkin

Ah, true. Forgot about that bit.

I do wonder about the capitalisation though. With "The Old Republic", I think of HUNDREDS of years prior to the original Star Wars:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Old_Republic

While the Republic that died in RotS is more like "the old Republic". Wouldn't those be two somewhat separate concepts?

But of course I admit that might just be me making things needlessly complicated. :P

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Yeah, that's another thing...until this trilogy is finished and everything revealed...they are just releasing filler material with barely any relevance. So there you have almost ten years waiting for the true new trilogy backstory... I hope they plan to make a 'rebels-clone wars' like TV series after ROTJ, with luke, leia and han...

Count me in! :D

Just now, BloodBoal said:

Hey, just thought of something: since the Episode VIII logo is red... could the whole opening crawl be written in red too? Hmmm...

Well that would be wild! Not sure if they'd dare... :P