Jay

Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread

Anyone who genuinely thinks that Marvel had a well thought through - “extended universe” - plan beginning with Iron Man and being meticulously planned through the first couple of years, is kidding them selves.

Half of it was guessing and taking it one step at the time.

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

In JK Rowling’s case, I tend to believe her more than Feige or Lucas. Some elements, like the Horcruxes, really do feel like they’re premeditated.

Definitely, it was a brilliant way of intertwining Harry's and Voldemort's fate that would've required careful planning.

6 hours ago, Chen G. said:

In JK Rowling’s case, I tend to believe her more than Feige or Lucas. Some elements, like the Horcruxes, really do feel like they’re premeditated.

I don't think they are. She made them up after book 5 or during the writing of book 5. She wrote herself into a corner after Book 4 and had to get creative to have material for the last 3 books.

5 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I don't think they are. She made them up after book 5 or during the writing of book 5. She wrote herself into a corner after Book 4 and had to get creative to have material for the last 3 books.

What are you talking about? What corner do you mean? I am quite sure that the main story, including the horcruxes, was planned. Book 2 already used one of them, the diary. not called horcrux there, but already depicted as a strangely powerful magical object without definite explanation. Of course in theory it could have been retconned, but I do not believe that without clear evidence.

I would say it's a mixture of both. She may have had certain things in mind when she was writing the early books but it may not have been exactly what we ended up with.

She does seem to have built upon her early work, especially the second book rather brilliantly.

4 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

What are you talking about? What corner do you mean? I am quite sure that the main story, including the horcruxes, was planned. Book 2 already used one of them, the diary. not called horcrux there, but already depicted as a strangely powerful magical object without definite explanation. Of course in theory it could have been retconned, but I do not believe that without clear evidence.

It was retconned. Writers do this all the time. I am a budding writer (currently writing my first novel) and as I write more and more, I find the writing in other films and books more transparent as I am able to see through what the writer did. I think the diary being a horcrux was definitely retconned. 

You'd have thunk that something so monumental to the mythology as horcruxes would have been mentioned before Book 6. But they weren't. 

That's not to say it makes them bad books or anything. If anything it shows Rowling's creativeness as I said above.

According to several interviews, Rowling didn't have a grand plan for the series as a whole, only snippets so she had a trajectory of where she wanted it to go. Harry's death was one of them, and Hagrid carrying him out of the forest was an image she saw that stuck with her all the way through the writing. I believe the Deathly Hallows and Horcruxes must've been there for quite some time as they are intrinsically linked to the theme of death that connects Harry's and Voldemort's arcs.

The books turned out just fine either way. Is the point of this to find out whether to praise her for having a great master plan or praise her for making great use of seeds of ideas left up in the air earlier?

Not to bog an already bogged MCU thread with more Potter, but I think the discussion was born from a jab at Feige, who probably didn't have much to do with the grand plan, rather making a tonne of films to proffer in the new Disney Totalitarian regime.