John Williams Receives 50th Oscar Nomination for 'The Force Awakens'

Ricard

There's never really any buzz for film scores, since generally the media doesn't care much about them, and Academy members aren't visiting message boards.  TFA was also excellently reviewed, and probably the best reviewed score of the year, but the problem comes down to the voters.  Mainly what they're going to hear when they think about the new Star Wars is the opening crawl and think "been there, done that" and move on.  They're probably not going to sit down and listen to the entire FYC album to find the 99% new music represented in the score.  The Musical Branch already did the legwork by nominating it.

Unless there's an internal lobbying effort then it really doesn't stand a chance.  I would say Morricone is still the favorite simply because of the "story", with Newman being the dark horse.

12 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

Mainly what they're going to hear when they think about the new Star Wars is the opening crawl and think "been there, done that" and move on.

Ahh, another cunning tactic from Williams and his team. The FYC omitted the main title and got straight to the action.

It's more their perception of the series.  It's doubtful most of them listened to the FYC scores from any of the composers.

Good tactic indeed, but probably an exercise in futility.

4 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Most of his Disney's noms were as producer, not director. As head of the studio, he basically just put his name as producer on everything Disney made and thus got a lot of nominations.

"A lot of Walt Disney's nominations were given to him mainly as director of animated shorts and as director/producer for the series of nature/wildlife documentaries he made between the 1950s and 1960s. So technically they were all individual efforts."

My thanks to you both for this. :)

17 hours ago, Thor said:

And even if he will never pass Newman and Menken as most-winning composer, he beat them in the nomination department a long time ago. So does that -- in fact -- make Williams one of the biggest "losers" in Oscar history, relatively speaking?

Yep. Lowest winning percentage out there. Bad thing? Nah.

2 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Mainly what they're going to hear when they think about the new Star Wars is the opening crawl and think "been there, done that" and move on.  They're probably not going to sit down and listen to the entire FYC album to find the 99% new music represented in the score.  The Musical Branch already did the legwork by nominating it.

I don't think it's quite that simple. The voters in this category do know their film music, and I think they take the privilege of their vote seriously enough that they dutifully listen through their FYC copies. I do believe, however, that the (likely) single listen they give to the score will have them shrugging and thinking, "It's a Star Wars score. Good stuff, but Oscar-worthy. . . ?" They don't obsess over the deeper details and thematic connections like we do. I doubt it'll be enough to overcome the sentimental intertia that's likely going to carry Morricone to the win.

I thought we had a discussion about this some years ago. Doesn't the Best Score category get voted up by a select group of composers/musicians? (If not . . . where the hell did I get that idea?)

59 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

They decide who gets nominated, i think.

But for the actual wins ever member votes for every category. 

3 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Yes, that's right. For the nominations, each branch of the Academy only votes in their own field + Best Picture. Then for the winners everybody votes on everything.

Ninja'd, Jason...

7 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Most of his Disney's noms were as producer, not director. As head of the studio, he basically just put his name as producer on everything Disney made and thus got a lot of nominations.

It's always seemed weird to me that a producer receives the Best Picture award, because everything that actually ends up on screen is down to the director. Yes, the producer organises everything, but that doesn't creatively make the end result, does it.

Stranger so, that a film can be the best film, but not be the best directed. They seem hard to separate to me, almost like there shouldn't be a 'best film' category.

Ah--THAT'S where I got mixed up.

Forget what I said, then. It's doubtful the majority of voters will pay any attention to the FYC's (beyond pricing them out as bootlegs). And they'll probably take just the approach nightscape was talking about: recalling the Star Wars main theme, shrugging it off, and giving the award to someone else. And if the whole Academy votes, I think Thomas Newman's chances just went up. Morricone may be a sentimental favorite, but folks aren't going to be remembering "music" when they think back to The Hateful Eight. Bridge of Spies will get some traction in other categories, and the Newman family name still has plenty of pull.

I think Carol makes a lot of sense as a winner too, very pretty and elegant music for a pretty and elegant movie, and it's gotten a lot of standout remarks in reviews. Sicario is the only one that I don't see winning.

The FYCs are created for the music branch, they are what the music branch voters are SUPPOSED to base their votes on (on top of seeing it in the film)

The general pop who votes on the winners of all the categories don't get mailed FYCs

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Stranger so, that a film can be the best film, but not be the best directed. They seem hard to separate to me, almost like there shouldn't be a 'best film' category.

This.

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I think Carol makes a lot of sense as a winner too

I don't know. I mean, he's a good member, but the Best JWFANer? I'm not sure...

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

And in a recent weird example, Argo won best picture without even being nominated for director.  That makes no sense.

Hitchcock's 1941 film Rebecca won Best Picture without winning for director, editing, writing or acting.

The Oscar-winning score has also been a part of a film nominated for Best Picture for 14 of the past 15 years. The only exception was "Frida" in 2002, when "The Hours" was the only score among the nominees with a corresponding Best Picture nomination. This year, "Bridge of Spies" is the only nominated score that was featured in a Best Picture nominee.

That said, this might be just the second time in 16 years that an Oscar-winning score has not been featured in a Best Picture nominee.

I'm always rooting for John Williams to win an Oscar, but I'm predicting Morricone.

Because there are 8 Best Picture nominees and 5 Best Director nominees?

2 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Who's Spielberg rooting for?

Great question!

Well yes, obviously there are more best picture nominees. But how can you point to any of those that weren't nominated for director, and say that it's the best film of the year, but someone else did a better directing job?

Essentially the Academy will do whatever they feels helps them get as much viewers and as high a ratings as possible. It isn't really a night where movies are being awarded for their excellence. It's entertainment. Nothing more.

On 1/14/2016 at 4:46 AM, Drax said:

Those FYC discs will skywalk even higher in value.

No they won't.

And Mr. Morricone for the win, because the picture ain't worth a crap!

On 1/14/2016 at 5:02 AM, Stefancos said:

No best score nom for Fury Road though. Pity.....

You're the only one.

Go massage your "lightsaber."

1 hour ago, skyy38 said:

No they won't.

And Mr. Morricone for the win, because the picture ain't worth a crap!

You're the only one.

Go massage your "lightsaber."

You are seriously becoming a candidate for the ignore feature

Who is Spielberg voting for? He can only vote on one. I wish all the votes were public so we could see who voted on who. I am also curious to see if Williams voted on himself/what he voted on IF he even voted that is. Would also be interesting to see what other major composers and directors voted for and so on.