SPOILER TALK: Avengers: Endgame

John

On 5/2/2019 at 6:20 PM, Fabulin said:

I hope they do something interesting with Thor every movie now. Hemsworth and the developers of "Ragnarok 2" seem to like the idea just how flexible this character has become.

He's going to be in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 from the looks of it.

Unless Gunn wants to retcon that and write Thor out within the first 10-15 minutes.

Something I don't get in this movie. When Thanos leaves 2014 and enters 2023 and is killed there, how is he then able to do what he did in Infinity War? I know Hulk explained all this but that exposition was a bit too fast and I still have a difficult time understanding it.

1 hour ago, The Original said:

Something I don't get in this movie. When Thanos leaves 2014 and enters 2023 and is killed there, how is he then able to do what he did in Infinity War? I know Hulk explained all this but that exposition was a bit too fast and I still have a difficult time understanding it.

In the movie's garbled logic. Every-time you change something, you create an alternate timeline.

So

Main timeline - Nebula and War Machine go back and make changes (that is get the stone etc.). So they created Alternate Timeline 1.

Now in Main Timeline, events happened as you saw it. But in Alternate Timeline 1, Thanos left that and traveled to the future and into the Main Timeline. 

So the events of Infinity War did not happen in Alternate Timeline 1. But they still happened in Main Timeline.

Domestic is really important though. It's where franchises generally make or break and the response to a film by North American popular culture is an effective gauge into whether movies die or thrive.

7 hours ago, The Original said:

It might beat Avatar worldwide, but beating TFA domestically is in doubt.

You laughable told me how wrong I was when I said TFA would easily break 200 million in December 15. Your understanding of boxoffice results are questionable at best. 

Time will tell but Endgame has a good shot of becoming #1. It is truely a phenom. It is a great and entertaining film. The people here pissing on it here are entertaining in their own way.

3 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

You laughably told me how wrong I was when I said TFA would easily break $200 million in December 2015. Your understanding of box office results is questionable at best. 

Time will tell but Avengers: Endgame has a good shot of becoming the number one film. It is truely a phenomenon. It is a great and entertaining film. The people here pissing on it here are entertaining in their own way.

And why wouldn't I? No film prior to that had even cracked a $100m opening in December.

Just now, The Original said:

And why wouldn't I? No film prior to that had even cracked a $100m opening in December.

You lacked vision and understanding. It was most...what was the word? Laughable! Yessss

Just now, JoeinAR said:

You lacked vision and understanding. It was most...what was the word? Laughable! Yessss

As George Lucas said in 1999, sequels never do better than their originals.

Just now, The Original said:

As George Lucas said in 1999, sequels never do better than their originals.

Lucas lacked vision and understanding of the nostalgia behind TFA

A distinction has to be made: Endgame is not a masterpiece of film-making, it is, however, a commercially successful film - and why wouldn't it be? It's the finale to a decade of superhero films in the MCU.

If we had to compare the two - TFA and Endgame - it's more impressive to me that a film made over a billion dollars after a ten year hiatus (TFA), than a film making over two billion dollars with dozens of successful films people were eager to see the conclusion of (Endgame). 

Another way to look at this is too see the masterpiece as it is. A film that doesn't disappoint, it fun, nostalgic,  and above all else touching, emotional,  and well acted(very well acted). It is analogous to a team made up of great players which actually wins the championship in great style(instead of chokingl. People cynically say oh well it was going to do well anyways. But this isn't just doing well. Its a phenomenon that is a modern day equivalent experience to Jaws/StarWars/E.T./JP/TiTanic/Avatar and now Endgame. The majority of people seem to love it. A subsection seem to enjoy poo-pooing. 

Of course other well say if its popular it can't be worth a damn. There are plenty of those people here. 

To paraphrase the great Stefan Cosman, snobby elitist Shakespeareans forget that William played to the masses.

10 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Another way to look at this is too see the masterpiece as it is. A film that doesn't disappoint, it fun, nostalgic,  and above all else touching, emotional,  and well acted(very well acted). It is analogous to a team made up of great players which actually wins the championship in great style(instead of chokingl. People cynically say oh well it was going to do well anyways. But this isn't just doing well. Its a phenomenon that is a modern day equivalent experience to Jaws/StarWars/E.T./JP/TiTanic/Avatar and now Endgame.

Where did I say that it couldn't be those things? In fact I would agree with you on most of those things - that it was fun, nostalgic and emotional.

Where I would diverge in opinion is comparing it to, or suggesting it's in the same league as those other films you suggested - because each of them (Jaws, Star Wars, ET, Titanic, Avatar weren't sequels, they stand or fall by the merits of being original ideas that later spawned franchises. Endgame is a sequel that feels like a sequel - it's like a 'side b' to Infinity War's 'side a' and if I had a list of the all-time classics, Endgame wouldn't be on there, or it would be lumped in with 'MCU Phase 1-3 or whatever...

Yeah, I'm not saying he can't believe Endgame is a masterpiece, I'm just saying I personally find it hard to believe it could be one.

Watched it for the third time on Saturday in IMAX. I was in Manchester for the weekend and thought I might as well give it another go on what is supposed to be the second largest cinema screen in Europe (after BFI IMAX in London). It was definitely most enjoyable way to experience the film.

Karol