Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

yeah, right...

Also unclear is how the script will address the age factor of Ford, who will be 77 years old when the new movie is released on July 19, 2019. The script, for example, could call for the story to be a flashback set in a classic Jones time period (the 1930s) bookended by Jones in later decades.

You heard it here first!

Koepp then? Meh, at least the hype here will be easier for me to bypass now. The Indy 5 threads I've just set to ignore and Indiana Jones remains a trilogy. Moving along... 

Well, judging by the way you're sinking your teeth into those wobble-ews...

What horrendously disappointing news. His script for the last one was an absolute turd. No competent screenwriter allows their protagonist to be so utterly irrelevant in a film's final act, least of all when that protagonist is Indiana Freaking Jones!

Koepp wrote and directed one of my personal favorite movies of the past few years, Premium Rush. It's a great action thriller and super underrated. It stars JGL!

Didn't see that one, but I actually did enjoy Ghost Town which he wrote/directed (funnily enough from the same year as Indy 4)

Thing is that even if you do place most of the blame on Lucas, there's nothing that he brought to Indiana Jones that I really want to see again, nothing that wasn't done better in the previous films. Goes for pretty much all of his stuff....what does a Koepp script offer that you can't get anywhere else? Even his sense of humor, which is generally one of the stronger points about his writing, didn't end up suiting Indy very well.

Koepp is definitely uneven with his output. I mean, he directed Mortdecai. :unsure:

Plinkett's KOTCS review should be mandatory viewing here (hell, TFA addressed basically every criticism he raised in his prequel reviews). He points out the deep-seated issues with Indy 4 rather than lazily attacking the overuse of CGI or Mutt. Koepp's script mostly works in the first act (barring some weird dialogue and very flat humour) but falls apart as soon as they leave the US, so you wonder how much of the film's unevenness is a result of Lucas, Spielberg, or the dozens of earlier drafts he was forced to draw ideas from.

I think the biggest problem is the filmmakers convinced themselves that Indiana Jones films must follow a strict formula of elements, and what resulted was a hollow, over-produced mess with moments of Spielbergian greatness but was overall unsatisfying.

Did anyone see Michael Crawford resurrect Frank Spencer for a one off Sport Relief Some Mother's Do Ave Em special last night? I'm a huge fan of the actor and his legendary hapless comedy creation, but there was something depressingly sad about seeing him acting the goat again at 74. Too much has changed. Why would Frank Spencer still be behaving in exactly the same way as he was 30 years ago? It doesn't convince anymore, it doesn't work. As much as I enjoyed Han Solo's return, there was something slightly uncomfortable for me about seeing Ford gallivanting around in exactly the same way as he was 30 years earlier, too. 

Ford will be even older by the time Indy 5 comes around, older than Frank Spencer. It's quite possibly going to be even more embarrassing than Indy 4 was; although on this occasion the blame might be on old man Ford and his delusional vanity.

Let it die.  

I didn't watch Sport Relief (can't abide the 'funny-bit-sad-bit-funny-bit-sad-bit' structure of those TV charity marathons ... they usually replace a night of programming I would far rather watch too, which I'm afraid I resent somewhat), but I can well believe that the return of Frank Spencer was toe-curling and that an almost 80 year old Indy will probably also be.    

Ford actually does well in The Force Awakens, but they at least had the wisdom to kill Han off.  

I avoid all annual TV charity events like the plague and only tuned in to gawk at Crawford. Afterwards though they actually had Danny Dyer presenting from the studio and introducing a film he'd made of his time in Africa... 

It was brilliant, and goes to show that TV gold comes in many unexpected forms. 

16 minutes ago, Michael said:

Koepp will probably write a first draft and someone else will rewrite it, I'm sure. Remember TFA with the original scriptwriter.

Ah Michael Arndt. I always forget about him.

For some reason I always think of poor Arzt from Lost when I see his name. Poor Arzt.

tve14873-20050518-1559.jpg

Oh great, Koepp?  He has been involved in a handful of decent movies like Carlito's Way, Stir of Echos, and to a degree, Secret Window.  However, he has mostly been mediocre to terrible, and has somehow become Spielberg's screenplay mistress.  I wish he would have tapped Darabont.

36 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Darabont's Indy 4 script wasn't that great either. I stopped reading it when he got swallowed whole by a snake. 

Still a better writer than Koepp and it's not even close.  If Spielberg and Darabont can work out a story together then I would trust him much more than Koepp.

4 hours ago, Drax said:

You can always detect vague, shitty Koepp lines like "not outer space, but the space between spaces".

That's a pure Lucas idea. All the writers from Indy 4 had the almost impossible task of putting George's all over the place ideas into dialogue.

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Darabont thought very high about himself. His script was not that  great.

They could have tried with Kasdan though.

A Kasdan & Kushner script would have been the stuff of legend. 

1 hour ago, Michael said:

That's a pure Lucas idea. All the writers from Indy 4 had the almost impossible task of putting George's all over the place ideas into dialogue.

But regardless, many if not most people here would argue Koepp is a mostly bad writer.

2 hours ago, Gistech said:

I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but the film's opening is going to be interesting, seeing as we won't be seeing the Paramount mountain change into a scene at the start of the film.

Of course it was

On 3/16/2016 at 6:23 AM, crumbs said:

So does this film start with a fade from the Disney castle or Paramount mountain?

If the former, maybe we'll see George's haunted castle opener after all!

The whole "inter-dimensional beings" crap was purely because Berg refused to call them aliens, and that was George's compromise. At least, according to the BTS doco. It just confuses the mess of a script even further. So they're intergalactic beings from another dimension... that makes them aliens! 

I'm looking forward to the setting though. I enjoyed the way Spielberg integrated the 50s into KOTCS. The character Indiana Jones is an interesting contrast to the world of the 60's, so it'd be nice to see another maturation of the costume (ala the tie in TLC). Humphrey Bogart's latter years would be a cool inspiration (ignoring the fact he, well, died in 1957).

humphrey-bogart.jpg

12 hours ago, Gistech said:

I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but the film's opening is going to be interesting, seeing as we won't be seeing the Paramount mountain change into a scene at the start of the film.

Maybe the movie will start with the Paramount Mountain changing into the Disney castle!