Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

ashinyobject

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The opening track is great, yes, but I find listening to the whole album to be a real chore. It goes on for everrrrrr.....

This is a rare case when I think a shorter album would be much better.

Sinbad Legend of the Seven Seas

You Only Twice

On Her Majesty´s Secret Service

The Adventures of Robin Hood - Re recording by Stromberg

The Brothers Grimm

Interview with the Vampire

The Classic Film Scores of Erich Wolfgang Korngold by Gerhardt

Anna and the King - George Fenton

Batman Returns is one of Elfman's best I think. Enjoy!

Returns is maybe my favorite Elfman score. The track used in Penguin's death scene (named The Finale I) is among Elfman's best ever.

Just placed an order for:

The Hindenburg

The Last Run / Crosscurrent / The Scorpio Letters (just listening to the Last Run samples convinced me immediately)

Max Dugan Returns / I Ought to Be in Pictures

The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes

True Grit and Other John Wayne Scores

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I didn't realize that The Lion in Winter re-recording only had an extra five minutes, but until I watch the film and actually hear what Barry's recording sounds like, I won't be missing it. And the Conan edition was way too expensive for my gift cards.

Today I bought:

Star Wars - The Sound of Hollywood.

The Dracula track is the (low) price worth on its own!

I also got the two 24 soundtracks recently. Nice material but I remember there were more highlights in the series itself (esp. 3rd) than there are on the first CD.

Yeah, I didn't realize that The Lion in Winter re-recording only had an extra five minutes, but until I watch the film and actually hear what Barry's recording sounds like, I won't be missing it. And the Conan edition was way too expensive for my gift cards.

As a Barry fan, I find both albums worthwhile. The Silva recording is surprisingly good (at least by their standards), I just find myself listening to the OST (or to be more specific, the original album re-recording) more often.

As for Conan, you don't get the super-cool narration in the opening track on the Varese album. That alone makes the Milan CD worthwhile. bowdown

Ehh, you can rip it off the DVD. bowdown

Haven't bought anything, except for pre-ordering The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes. Waiting for Monday....

Here's what I have on order:

• The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (Miklos Rozsa)
  • Max Dugan Returns / I Ought to Be in Pictures (David Shire/Marvin Hamlisch)
  • The Hindenburg (David Shire)
  • David Shire - At the Movies (David Shire)
  • East of Eden (Lee Holdridge)
  • The Karate Kid 4-CD set (Bill Conti)
  • The Vanishing (Jerry Goldsmith)
  • 84 Charing Cross Road (George Fenton)

I'm going to order:

The Vanishing

There are several other Varese releases I might get like Stargate and the Waxman set, plus I'll probably pre-order the Rozsa set.

I really need to get caught up on the FSM releases.

I'm going to order:

The Vanishing

There are several other Varese releases I might get like Stargate and the Waxman set, plus I'll probably pre-order the Rozsa set.

I really need to get caught up on the FSM releases.

You still haven't gotten the Stargate score yet? For shame.

You suck. :unsure:

Seriously though it's a great score in my opinion. The Deluxe Edition does help having the few new cues (it's a nearly complete score, only 5 short cues missing) and the sound quality for the Varese Edition is better than the old Milan release.

Since I still have the original release and it doesn't fall under a "must have" or limited to 3000 copies, I've been in no hurry to get it.

lamer-bernstein.gif

La Mer, by Debussy as conducted by Bernstein. God I hate it, in Bernstein CDs, when the soft parts are mixed so low and then the louder ones are ridiculously loud. It's like that West Side Story recording with José Carreras and Kiri Te Kanawa. Are we supposed to not listen to the soft parts, or are we expected to go deaf in the loud ones?

-Ross, who bought plenty more CDs but felt like ranting.

Well as opposed to irregular price.

;)

I was just wondering that great music cost almost nothing and batman was regular price.

La Mer, by Debussy as conducted by Bernstein. God I hate it, in Bernstein CDs, when the soft parts are mixed so low and then the louder ones are ridiculously loud.

That is too bad with especially that piece which is based on great change of dynamics.

Stargate - David Arnold

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Danny Elfman

Out of Africa - John Barry

The Last Temptation of Christ - Peter Gabriel

The Mission - John Williams

Treasure Planet - James Newton Howard

The Mask of Zorro - James Horner

It's especially bad when your roommates tend to wake up at 2:00 pm and you want to enjoy some music in the mornings.

Take advantage of the opportunity and kick the lazy gits out of bed by playing some Williams action cues. Loudly. Early. ;)

No, regular edition, for one pound.

BLEH. The old Milan relase in my opinion isn't as good as the Varese Deluxe Edition. The sound on the Varese edition has improved over the old Milan release. Plus you get extra cues, it's actually in film order and you get the great cue "Transporter Horror" that was left off the old Milan release..