JW's Next Score?

Saxman717

Does anyone know what his next score will be and when? It has been awhile since I've heard anything....is he hard at work on a new score or is he thinking about retirement??? :?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...retirement?

We haven't really considered this.

We have all been thinking for years that he'd be working untill he dies. But what if he retires?

That must be KM's worst nightmare, a John Williams that is alive and kicking, but not scoring any films...ever.

Well, he's stated in recent interviews that he has no intention of retiring anytime soon. Let's hope he keeps his word :D

Indiana Jones will probably be the next one.

What about the Abraham Lincoln film?

Who cares?

Indiana Jones will probably be the next one.

What about the Abraham Lincoln film?

Who cares?

Was trying to answer a question. Maybe you have the answer?

John Williams thinking about retirement? You can't be serious!

He is just taking a year off from scoring films and doing some concert hall touring instead. Really, I don't see a problem. Silvestri fans had to wait 1 1/2 years between Polar Express and the Wild and Williams fans start worrying after only 6 months without a new score. Patience is a virtue.

Relax, enjoy the scores we have and look forward to his indy 4 score coming in 2007.

And by the way, there are just so many older Williams scores that have been re-released or received a premiere CD release recently (Amazing Stories, Mr. Chips, Checkmate, Lost In Space, Not With My Wive You Don't, The Witches of Eastwick) that one can hardly speak of a dry spell and we don't even know what else might be in the pipeline of some labels.

Who cares?

Every real John Williams fan cares about every score release.

thats not true, who cares about Lincoln,

he's dead.

I wouldn't be too shocked if Williams were to suddenly surprise us with something else before Indy IV...

And I keep hoping something will come of the suggested viola concerto (is it supposed to be written for Cynthia Phelps, or did I dream that?)...Or a recording of the horn concerto, and of "Soundings"...

Still, he has given us a concert suite from "Memoirs" and a new arrangement of "Remembering Munich".

Flags of our Fathers? Spielberg produced, Eastwood directed (previous collaborator), and the hot pick for Oscar buzz next year. And his work on Saving Private Ryan was nothing short of equisite.

thats not true, who cares about Lincoln,  

he's dead.

Oh...like many people in Schindler's List...a score about dead people is bad, huh? Your intelligence surprised us once again... :P

Excellent timing. Pete Sampras is coming out of retirement.

What?

Burga - who harbors silly hopes that JW will surprise us with a Superman II score for the Donner cut.

I really hope Williams will score the Abraham Lincoln film and of course there is the sure Williams score for Indy IV.

If it is a Spielberg project it could be either way depending on the mood the director was in when he developed the script.

I know if means a whole lot of nothings but I did check IMDB and they said a few things:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002354/

Namely they attached him to Speilbergs Abraham Lincoln film (good educated guess), and Speilbergs Untitled Space Project.

They also say JP4 (themes), Harry Potter and Order of the Phoenix (themes)--think they might actually use one this time?--and Indiana Jones 4.. but don't say themes though it's probably implied.

would be nice to know if he's doing any other scores... it seems he's only doing Steven Speilberg ones now

Will this be a film about the mythical, almost Jezus-like figure of Abraham Lincoln?

Or will this be a depection of the real man, struggling with the actual political problems that plagued his country during those years?

hopefully it will be about the man who freed the slave, but who was himself an admitted racist. But it will be another dust collecting score like Munich.

Didnt the BBC interveiw say he was currently working on his next score?

And by score, everyone depreends is for film?

My bet? He's prepared suites from is latest film scores, and has finally written some of his promissed concert works.

And since he came to London a few months ago, not to condcut any concert, it's because he was there recording something...

ImDB: Filmography as: Composer, Miscellaneous Crew, Actor, Himself, Archive Footage

When was he an actor?

Since you couldn't be arsed to check yourself:

The Contest Kid and the Big Prize (1978) (TV)

"A Taste for Blue Ribbons" (1973) TV Series

"Johnny Staccato"

... aka Staccato (USA: short title)

- The Shop of the Four Winds (1959) TV Episode (as Johnny Williams) .... Piano Player

- The Naked Truth (1959) TV Episode (as Johnny Williams) .... Piano Player

I have all of these appearances on my pc somewhere.

ImDB: Filmography as: Composer, Miscellaneous Crew, Actor, Himself, Archive Footage

When was he an actor?

Since you couldn't be arsed to check yourself:

The Contest Kid and the Big Prize (1978) (TV)

"A Taste for Blue Ribbons" (1973) TV Series

"Johnny Staccato"

... aka Staccato (USA: short title)

- The Shop of the Four Winds (1959) TV Episode (as Johnny Williams) .... Piano Player

- The Naked Truth (1959) TV Episode (as Johnny Williams) .... Piano Player

I have all of these appearances on my pc somewhere.

And when you find them in your PC, would it be possible to send them to me? Please....

I don't want another solid effort, I want something that once again makes me proud to be a JWFan.

Strange how you have kind of answered my response to you in another thread...

I don't want another solid effort, I want something that once again makes me proud to be a JWFan.

Even for great composers a great score only comes along once and awhile.

Not in Williams Golden Years (mid 70's to mid 80's)

I don't know why everyone seems to like his older stuff. I really like his new stuff. It's more gritty and dramatic than the old stuff like star wars or indiana jones. Sure, they were fun scores. But his newer stuff like Episode 3 or Munich shows a much more serious JW. And i really like this trend.

If I want solid I'll buy a James Newton Howard score.....

I have many scores that make me immensely proud to be a JNH fan.

I don't know why everyone seems to like his older stuff. I really like his new stuff. It's more gritty and dramatic than the old stuff like star wars or indiana jones. Sure, they were fun scores. But his newer stuff like Episode 3 or Munich shows a much more serious JW. And i really like this trend.

For what it's worth (and it isn't worth much :D), I completely agree with you. I enjoy his post-2000 output far more than his "golden years" material.

While I think 1875-1985 edges out the 2000's,I disagree with Stefancos hard approach.There are recent scores I enjoy just as much or sometimes even more as the 75-85 stuff:

RotS

PoA

CoS

HPPS

A.I.

TPM

I think the low point was the mid 90's...Sabrina,Nixon,Sleepers,Rosewood ,SPR.That's when I wasn"t sure about beeing a JWfan anymore and got worried.

K.M.

For what it's worth (and it isn't worth much :D), I completely agree with you. I enjoy his post-2000 output far more than his "golden years" material.

Okay, so do we three form a club?

While I think 1875-1985 edges out the 2000's,I disagree with Stefancos hard approach.There are recent scores I enjoy just as much or sometimes even more as the 75-85 stuff:

RotS

PoA

CoS

HPPS

A.I.

TPM

I think the low point was the mid 90's...Sabrina,Nixon,Sleepers,Rosewood ,SPR.That's when I wasn"t sure about beeing a JWfan anymore and got worried.

K.M.

He speaks the truth, that man. Learn from him, you can.

When was he an actor?

When he acted like he was actually happy to meet this guy:

santaolalla-williams.jpg