Scores that no one else seems to like...

crocodile

Do you scores in your collections that are dear to your heart and you consider them masterpieces that should stand alongside things like Jaws or Close Encounters, but, somehow, you are the only person that seems to recognize this? Others either don't like them or don't even know them. The popularity of composer doesn't really matter.

Mine would be The Elephant Man by John Morris (which was nominated next TESB, by the way), Georges Auric's Beauty and the Beast and Alex North's Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?. I love them all, but don't recall any discussion concerning them whatsoever. Pity.

Of course there are more... Much more...

And about your private hidden gems?

Karol

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mishima - Philip Glass

The X-Files - Fight The Future - Mark Snow*

Hard Rain - Christopher Young

Dune (when they don´t use electric guitars)

Fantastic score**, even when they use electric guitars!

*Once again, as is becoming annoyingly customary for these things, my favourite cue on the album is an unused one.

**The expanded release is bettter.

I love Dune....a great album too regardless of whether it is a movie score or not........not so keen on the expanded one but it's still top-flight stuff.....

Greg - who would add "Lifeforce" and "Condorman" to this list - both Henry Mancini - both great scores.....sadly Condorman has yet to see any kind of release, but Lifeforce has finally got a good'un, so maybe Condorman not far behind?

Hmm...JNH's The Man in the Moon comes to mind. It's a beautiful, evocative, nostalgic score that is really quite impressive, and I've never heard much about it from anyone here.

Ray Barnsbury

The Clash of the Titans (Laurence Rosenthal)

Are you sure no one seems to like this? I think it's a true classic! Wagner and Strauss combined!

I would say Spacecamp, as many at this site seem to despise it. Although just as many love it, so whatever.

People, the thread is about scores no one likes, not scores no one talks about.

I'll put forth a candidate: Batman Begins. Many people were sorely dissapointed when the Zimmer/Howard combo turned out this score, which was widely concidered to be 'bland' and just not very good. I think it works well in the film generally, except for the highlights, when it REALLY works in the film. On the album, I love the highlights, rarely listen to the rest. But 'Molossos' is one of my favorite action cues, and I think it perfectly captures the new Batman we've been presented.

Well, I know I'm not the only one that likes the scores, but sometimes it feels that way:

Attack of the Clones

ST: Generations

Serenity

John- who thinks that doing the opposite of this thread would be interesting, too

Williams recent output... :roll:

:)

I'll add:

Lord of the Flies - Philippe Sarde (most people haven't even heard of this)

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm - Shirly Walker

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm - Shirly Walker

Again, this is a well-liked score, it just doesn't get talked about too much. That is not the point of this thread.

Goldeneye. I really like it.

Yah, that too. As if a Bond score has to be what everyone expects it to be in order to be good music in general. What pricks.

The Haunted Mansion by Mark Mancina. Absolutely beautiful overture, with the score proper containing a lot of repetitive but enjoyable cues. The action music becomes annoying at times--that brilliance Williams infuses in his action cues is totally lacking--but there are some truly great statements of "Grim Grinning Ghosts," and there is original music that I find quite enjoyable, too. The unreleased organ version of Wagner's wedding march...genius. Unfortunately, the score was never officially released, with the exception of a few chopped-up, remixed cues on the "Haunted Hits" album. Ugh. I'm glad I was able to get my hands on the complete score.

The Clash of the Titans (Laurence Rosenthal)

Are you sure no one seems to like this? I think it's a true classic! Wagner and Strauss combined!

I just haven't heard many people mention it. I like the film too, by the way. Who needs CGI!? :)

I would say Spacecamp, as many at this site seem to despise it. Although just as many love it, so whatever.

I'll carry on despising it until I find a copy. :)

People, the thread is about scores no one likes, not scores no one talks about.  

Actually it's about both :) When I say "scores that no one else seems to like" I mean not only the ones that are disliked, but also those forgotten ones.

Williams recent output...  

It can't be that bad.

Btw the score has a cameo of The Imperial March, and Aliens music from Horner.

Really???

Karol, who doesn't know many of the scores mentioned.

I like Life Is Beautiful quite a bit.  In my opinion, one of the few deserving Oscar winners of last couple decades.

Jeff

You mean the main theme, or the variations of the main theme that were the rest of the score?

A bit mono thematic, but good anyway.

Yes, that's my feeling on Galaxy Quest also, which I really like. I'm not sure if that one would fall into the "nobody likes" or "nobody talks about" category.

A score which is immensely popular with the general public which, to my perception, doesn´t have the same level of appreciation among film score aficcionados is Doctor Zhivago.

It works really well in the film, but I don't like the CD all that much. There are a few cues that I listen to very regularly, but it's not often I'll listen to the whole score.

There are many scores that do not get discussed, don't really know if it's because they aren't liked or because people just don't bring them up but here are a few that are rarely discussed:

A.I. (Not liked that much either)

Jason And The Argonaughts - Herrmann

7th Voyage Of Sinbad - Herrmann

Dances With Wolves - Barry

North By Northwest - Herrmann

Planet Of The Apes - Goldsmith

Sommersby - Elfman

Quite a few of Goldsmith's westerns are rarely talked about.

There are many scores that do not get discussed, don't really know if it's because they aren't liked or because people just don't bring them up but here are a few that are rarely discussed:

A.I. (Not liked that much either)

Jason And The Argonaughts - Herrmann

7th Voyage Of Sinbad - Herrmann

Dances With Wolves - Barry

North By Northwest - Herrmann

Planet Of The Apes - Goldsmith

Sommersby - Elfman

Agreed.

Karol

I've actually always enjoyed Horner's The Mask of Zorro.
Definitly my favourite Horner score.
What are westerns scored by Jerry Goldsmith? I do have Bad Girls but I don't know of any other westerns by Jerry Goldsmith.

joey225 wrote:  

I've actually always enjoyed Horner's The Mask of Zorro.  

Definitly my favourite Horner score.

And Legend of Zorro is even better.

Speaking of legend... Goldsmith's Legend is definitely one of his best. But it isn't mentioned as such very often, I believe.

Karol

No, Legend isn't discussed that much.

Here are some of Goldsmith's Westerns:

Stagecoach (remake) - FSM

Bandolero - Intrada (out of print)

Hour Of the Gun - Varese Sarabande

Take a Hard Ride - FSM (out of print)

Rio Lobo - Prometheus

Rio Conchos - FSM

Wild Rovers - FSM

Stagecoach (remake) - FSM  

Bandolero  - Intrada (out of print)

Hour Of the Gun - Varese Sarabande

Take a Hard Ride - FSM (out of print)

Rio Lobo - Prometheus  

Rio Conchos - FSM

Wild Rovers - FSM

Well... I don't know any of these.

Karol

The Scorpion King by John Debney... it's not the masterpiece that Cutthroat Island was, but it's still great, and it seemed to come and go quickly with score fans