Best Scores Ever Composed

Koray Savas

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is of course impossible to answer, it depends on what one desires from a film score.

I do think that "Close Encounters" would somehow be a strong candidate in my universe, though. As would of course "Jaws".

Both are some of the greatest examples of what a score can do to enhance a film, and bring it to a whole other level of denouement and beauty.

(I certainly find "Close Encounters" one of Williams' most beautiful creations).

I think Goldsmith's "Patton" is a marvellous and incredibly intelligent score.

And obviously "E.T.", "Star Wars", "ESB", etc.

Not to forget some of Rosza's finer work, and that of Herrmann ("Psycho" is another example of a truly great score. Not at all the best music Herrmann wrote, but one of the most impactful and essential film scores ever penned.)

(I personally don't think Shore or Elfman quite belong to the same league, and have always found the score to be one of the least satisfying elements in the LotR films.)

Another really great score, is Corigliano's "Altered States" (which Hornist should know well :rolleyes: )

It's a tie between ANH and ESB for me.

ESB is better than Star Wars by a longshot.

wrong

It's a tie between ANH and ESB for me.

ESB is better than Star Wars by a longshot.

wrong

ANH has some great music (The Throne Room, Cantina Band, Main Title), but no really FANTASTIC material. ESB has Han Solo and the Princess, The Asteroid Field, Yoda's Theme, Imperial March, Clash of Lightsabers, The Carbon Freeze, Cloud City's Theme, and Rebel Fleet. I'm sorry, but when compared, it's clear who the winner is.

ANH has some great music (The Throne Room, Cantina Band, Main Title), but no really FANTASTIC material. ESB has Han Solo and the Princess, The Asteroid Field, Yoda's Theme, Imperial March, Clash of Lightsabers, The Carbon Freeze, Cloud City's Theme, and Rebel Fleet. I'm sorry, but when compared, it's clear who the winner is.

Good heavens!

Difficult answer. You should listen to all the good scores first. And you never finish hearing good ones! I was watching this japanese movie "The Deep Desire of God" (1968) by landmark composer Toshiro Mayuzumi, and man has it a big musical complexity.

So I'm finding out new works all the time.Back to the topic, among the ones I've listened to, I'd probably pick "Saving Private Ryan"."Poltergeist", "Altered States", "Edward Scissorhands", "The Lord of the Rings" (Rosenman), "Spartacus", "The Mission" could be some of the runners-up.

Neil has good taste...
That's what I've been trying to tell everyone for years!

Only in what the first possition concerns.

It's a clear sign of superior intelligence on this board that nobody mentioned Pirates Of The Caribbean yet.

Don't take that lightly, I know alot of places and people who would.

At one point in time I might have mentioned PotC in such a context, but my opinion on that score has been put firmly into perspective by Cutthroat Island. Cutthroat Island IS one of the best scores ever composed. Pirates of the Caribbean, as enjoyable as it might be, is merely that and has no level of excellence.

These are just a few that come to mind:

Goldsmith:

-Patton, ST:TMP, Poltergeist.....

Williams:

-ET, Jurassic Park, SW: ANH, ESB, Indy & LC, Raiders, Hook, Jaws....

Herrmann:

-Psycho, North by Northwest, Vertigo......

Morricone:

-The Mission, The Good, Bad, and the Ugly......

Elfman:

-Edward Scissorhands.....

...& tons more!!

I think Hook is far from being the best score ever composed.

It is one of the best, not THE best.

It sure is better than most of the stuff that's not composed by Williams.

:( do we again talk about soundtracks as they function in the movies, or as stand alone albums?? And do we talk about entire scores, so the mean quality of them, or does a single brilliant track also counts??

Anyway, the albums I like most as a whole:

1) John Williams: Jurassic Park

2) John Williams: Hook

3) John Williams: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

4) John Williams: Sabrina

5) John Williams: Schindler's List

6) David Arnold: Independence Day

7) Marc Shaiman: The American President

8) Brian Tyler: Timeline

9) John Williams: Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade

10)Edward Shearmur: The Count of Monte Cristo

11)Michael Convertino: The Santa Claus

12)John Williams: Raiders of the Lost Ark

13)Hans Zimmer: Batman Begins

14)John Williams: The Empire Strikes Back

15)Miklos Rozsa: Ben Hur

16)John Williams: The Patriot

17)Jerry Goldsmith: The Mummy

18)John Williams: Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace

19)John Debney: Cutthroat Island

20)John Williams: Memoirs of a Geisha

21)Tan Dun: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

22)Erich Wolfgang Korngold: The Sea Hawk

23)John Williams: A.I.

24)John Williams: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

25)James Newton Howard: Dinosaur

26)Alan Silvestri: The Mummy Returns

27)John Debney: Cutthroat Island

28)John Williams: War of the Worlds

29)Jerry Goldsmith: Supergirl

30)Bernard Herrmann: Psycho

ESB is better than ANH by a longshot.

While I'm listening to ESB, I'm likely to say the same thing. But I'm also very likely to say the reverse when listening to ANH--they're both that good. You mentioned the Throne Room and Cantina Band and the Main Title...and while those are all "iconic" cues, they're by no means the best ANH has to offer. A lot of ANH's strength lies in its clever, interesting underscore and in its ballsy, blatantly swashbuckling action music, particularly in the Death Star scenes. ANH also features two of the greatest leitmotifs of our times--the Force theme and Princess Leia's theme. I'm fully aware that these were used in the other films, too, but they were written for ANH.

You're right that ESB has a lot of fantastic material. The Battle of Hoth contains some of JW's very best action music--varied, exciting, completely and specifically appropriate to the scenes it accompanies. The Imperial March is still very effective despite its pop culture pervasiveness. The development and use of Han and Leia's theme are utterly beautiful. The end credits improve upon ANH's and incorporate new material in ways more intelligent and fun than I've ever heard since. So I'm tempted to say that ESB is indeed superior, though I'd never use the phrase "by a long shot." But if you listen to ANH thoroughly, I think you'll find that a lot of its less iconic moments are sheer brilliance. It's a somewhat less "modern" feel, but it's still very effective. To each his own, but I'd definitely recommend giving ANH a few more listens.

Too difficult to choose for me, besides there are many different, but equally brilliant compositions that work terrific in the context, so picking up one would be unfair. However, if I were forced to do this, I'd pick "The Empire Strickes Back", my favourite score of all time.

If its Williams were talkin about, id have to go with The Empire Strikes Back, its just incredible! A New Hope is fantastic, but Empire Surpasses it on so many level.

If its non Williams it would have to be Shore's Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (if i have to pick a certain film it would have to be Return Of The King, I love the Mordor Music, it gives me the chills!)

If its not Shore or Williams then James Newton Howard's King Kong, brilliant score for me :(

Best 25 (worst to best):

25. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Danny Elfman

24. Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith - John Williams

23. Raiders of the Lost Ark - John Williams

22. HP and the Chamber of Secrets - John Williams

21. The Terminal - John Williams

20. Corpse Bride - Danny Elfman

19. The Da Vinci Code - Hans Zimmer

18. Mousehunt - Alan Silvestri

17. POTC: At World's End - Hans Zimmer

16. Home Alone - John Williams

15. HP and the Sorcerer's Stone - John Williams