Which SCORE do you like most?

Josh500

Which SCORE do you like most?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Jaws, E.T., Jurassic Park

• Jaws
    • E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
    • Jurassic Park

They have one thing in common: they were all at one point the top-grossing movie worldwide, directed by Steven Spielberg.

While Jaws is the movie I prefer, I would choose the score to Jurassic Park as my favorite. Why? Jurassic Park is vintage John Williams . . . so diverse and so much to enjoy. This is truly an incredible score. Gorgeous melodies, lush orchestrations, heart-stopping action cues. Has there ever been a score more perfect (except maybe for Star Wars)???

What do you think? :unsure:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jurassic park certainly is a fun ride. But for me, E.T still flys high above all the rest.

Jaws has genius moments, but it's not one I take out to play too often really.

E.T is a serious composition masterpiece and always my choice in these polls :lol:

My problem with J.P is that I played it to death during the 90s and have burned it out.

I fondly remember playing journey to the island LOUD in the 90s (air conducting) :unsure:

But it just doesn't give me that buzz anymore like it used to :(

"Adventures on earth", though. ALWAYS an emotional rollercoaster. :P

Jurassic park certainly is a fun ride. But for me, E.T still flys high above all the rest.

E.T is a serious composition masterpiece and always wins in this polls, for me :lol:

Yeah, it took me a while to decide between E.T. and Jurassic Park. Finally I went with the latter cause that's the score that made me a lifelong JW fan. :unsure:

Though these are all phenomenal scores I'd have to put E.T. First. Then comes Jaws, a close second. Jurassic Park, while being an incredible score, still comes quite a long way behind the other two.

E.T.

Jaws...is fantastic in the movie, outside, it rarely captures my imagination.

Jurassic Park...um...well I like a few tracks...a really whole lot...but the underscore is iffy.

Those of you who listen to the E.T. album straight through, do you listen to the 20th Ann. Edition or the OS?

I have both, and I'm ashamed to say I have listened to the whole OS album only a dozen times, maybe. Adventures on Earth and Over the Moon I listen to constantly (sometimes the S/W Col.), but the whole album? Not so often.

On the other hand, Jurassic Park I listen to much more frequently. I have listened to the whole album maybe 50 times in the last fourteen years (just a guess). :eek:

Are we talking about the scores as heard on album or as functioning in the movie?

You should take both aspects into account.

Well, those are two different things. In this case it's easy: JP, but a very nice score can be awful in the movie.Is it a good score or not?

Are we talking about the scores as heard on album or as functioning in the movie?

Well, those are two different things. In this case it's easy: JP, but a very nice score can be awful in the movie.Is it a good score or not?

What's most important is how the score works in the movie. So that should be the primary concern.

What's most important is how the score works in the movie. So that should be the primary concern.

Now that's a clearification :D

It's still JP for me.

Is Theme from Jurassic Park more beautiful than the Flying Theme from E.T.???

I don't know.

Both are gorgeous and uplifting beyond words, IMO . . .

But JP has better action music . . .

I think it is.

I tired of hearing The Flying Theme a long time ago ,especially the concert version.But I never tire of Theme from JP

I think it is.

I tired of hearing The Flying Theme a long time ago ,especially the concert version.But I never tire of Theme from JP

I don't know. E.T. is much older. So most people have probably heard Flying Theme a lot more often than Theme from JP. But IMO it's not fair to say Flying Theme isn't that good anymore just because you've heard it once too often.

Very likely, you listened to FT that often precisely because it was that good.

I think the Flying Theme works better in the score,or even in the End Credits.I never really liked the concert version.

Yeah, I agree. I don't like the concert version of Flying Theme, either.

Then again, I don't care about the Theme from Jurassic Park, either. I think the Journey to the Island version works much better (without the intro).

ET (especially "The Magic of Halloween" and "ET is Dying" and "Escape/Chase/Goodbye") makes me cry. The others just give me goosebumps. I will say that "Journey to the Island" is one of the best action cues Williams has written.

I will say that "Journey to the Island" is one of the best action cues Williams has written.

I wouldn't call it an action cue, but yeah.

If I had to pick one cue that stands above all the rest in Jurassic Park, it would be this. I love everything about it, not just the more "famous" sections.

I agree that the less famous parts of "Journey to the Island" are great too...the opening music is some of the best conversation underscore I've ever heard. The bouncy music as the jeeps drive off is nice too, and I've always liked the determined figure that plays as they approach the Vistors' Center after seeing the brachiosaur.

But yeah, E.T. and Jaws are definitely more consistent in their greatness.

E.T. is way overrated, so I gladly voted for Jurassic Park.

I could not agree more, I am glad there are other people too who thinks like that. There are some schmaltzy qualities in it.

I agree that the less famous parts of "Journey to the Island" are great too...the opening music is some of the best conversation underscore I've ever heard. The bouncy music as the jeeps drive off is nice too, and I've always liked the determined figure that plays as they approach the Vistors' Center after seeing the brachiosaur.

But yeah, E.T. and Jaws are definitely more consistent in their greatness.

Totally agree.

Just imagine that entire sequence without music (or worse: scored by Hans Zimmer), and it would be a totally different experience!

Damn you, Josh500, for setting this poll - I just can't decide! :)

Just ask yourself: Which score do you wanna listen to RIGHT NOW?

After all, you can only listen to one album at a time. And then vote for the one you put on! :lol:

Mmmm.

I'll take two shots at this for the Expanded CDs of Jaws and ET Vs the shorter versions.

OK, I have the shorter LP CDs of Jaws and ET, and the Juassic Park CD in front of me.

Some crazy guy (or girl) puts a gun to my head and demands I chose one.

I think I'd go with ET. No real reason, I like the others. Just a gut feeling. Could be because it's been too long since I played it, but same goes for the others... mp3 playlists have become my diet.

Then, choosing between the expanded Jaws and ET, and the J Park, Et wouldn't be in the running,

It'd be between Jaws and Jurassic. I'm gonna go with Jurassic for the extra variety and that wonderful theme.

Those of you who listen to the E.T. album straight through, do you listen to the 20th Ann. Edition or the OS?

I have both, and I'm ashamed to say I have listened to the whole OS album only a dozen times, maybe. Adventures on Earth and Over the Moon I listen to constantly (sometimes the S/W Col.), but the whole album? Not so often.

On the other hand, Jurassic Park I listen to much more frequently. I have listened to the whole album maybe 50 times in the last fourteen years (just a guess). :lol:

I have three different versions of E.T., and still the version I find myself pulling out is the original "concert" version. Probably because I feel so comfortable with it; the differences in the cues on the other two cds are disruptive to me. Anyways, it was the first cd I ever owned.

I will say that I have never listened to JP all the way through. The first five tracks or so are strong, but the rest was forgettable to me.

Oh, by the way, E.T. for me.

I can't decide between Jaws and Jurassic Park.

There's the complete and utter brilliance of Jaws, which is not only excellent music, but one of the best-spotted films of all time.

Then there's Jurassic Park, the score and the movie that started it all for me. That I enjoy immensely and that has a lot of personal attachment to.

Hmmm...