Worst 5 Composers

Koray Savas

I learned a new term, Chekhov's gun! Although I did know it as foreshadowing, which is pretty much what it is. Lost does happen to have some of these "guns" but it isn't too complicated if you watch the show regularly.

But I do think that the "guns" that LOST uses happen to be retroactive - this is, they are actualy not important when they first appear, nor are they intended to be, but their importance is made up later. Actually they seem more like "plot coupons". I'm not criticising the technique at all - it worked wonderfully with the crashed drug plane and Mr Eko's story. But occasionally there are too many, or it happens too frequently.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see what you're saying. So far I'm pleased with the shows progress, I agree that a certain points you get overwhelmed by these "plot coupons." I think that is a major reason why the number of viewers sharply declined after Season 2, because people wanted answers and explanations but weren't getting any.

No only did he offer, they dumped the original score and he rescored it.

The only music of Eastwood's that I like is "Claudia's Theme" from Unforgiven

Clint Eastwood has this very low, quiet, subtle style that is extremely repetitive and boring. He's bad, but since I don't necessarily consider him a composer or discuss him in terms of film music, I wouldn't add him to my list. Anyone else get insanely annoyed by that damn single track of score in Iwo Jima? I felt like tearing my ears off.

You're list is fine, except for Thomas Newman. Yes, I know you weren't talking to me but it seems AI ain't doing so.

Ok thanks :)

• 3 weeks later...

I don't love or hate Marco Beltrami. I think he belongs in the middle of excellent and aweful. I used to hate him, but his recent scores have brought him up in my book. He was, after all, trained by the great Ennio Morricone.

• 1 year later...

<!--quoteo(post=388640:date=Nov 30 2007, 10:12 PM:name=MSM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSM @ Nov 30 2007, 10:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=388640"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Brian Tyler is one of the most talented young composers around, no idea why people come up with him. Zimmer is overrated, but certainly talented.

My worst (of major Hollywood composers):

2) Tomas Newman<-----WHAT THE...??? ;)

Thomas Newman the worst???

277281-dtthumb-spanking.jpg

He's one of the BEST, and as allready said one of the most unique ones.

Hans Zimmer is not the worst but by far the most overated composer of all time, though he has written/arranged some less better scores (Drink up Me Hearties--->GREAT!). But most of his music is simply show off, and just "too much" (I don't like snare recordings which have been double tracked for about 40 times)

Marco Beltrami is indeed worse, I just heard a few minutes of some of his cues, and never had the desire to hear anything else from him, which speaks for itself.

And yes, I know this thread is about 2 years old. I don't care :lol:

Beltrami did KNOWING this year, which is a helluva lot better than most stuff people cite as their 2009 favorites.

I agree. Not the entire score, but some cues are great indeed.

Karol

Beltrami did KNOWING this year, which is a helluva lot better than most stuff people cite as their 2009 favorites.

I agree. Not the entire score, but some cues are great indeed.

Karol

Album suffers from its lenght and some boring cues, but it's definitely among my favourite scores of '09.

I'll have to listen to it, I've never taken a liking to any Beltrami score.

I'd still put Zimmer, even though he's done some decent scores, just for the ratio and the influence he's brought. Jablonsky for sure. Never liked Rosenman, although he's done some ok stuff.

Bates' may be confined at the moment to scoring bad horror movies but his score for "300" was effective even if it did reference Goldenthal's "Titus"

I wouldn't call it referencing as much as flat plagiarism, but to each his own.

I don't think any of us really know who the worst 5 composers are because they'd be so bad, nobody would hire them for real movies and we would therefore not be aware of them. However, I hate me some Santaolalla.

I don't think Media Ventures qualifies since, even though they are often garbage, they are not the bottom of the barrel and I don't think anyone can really say scores like the Metal Gear Solid series or Gladiator could be made by the worst composers out there.

I don't think Media Ventures qualifies since, even though they are often garbage, they are not the bottom of the barrel and I don't think anyone can really say scores like the Metal Gear Solid series or Gladiator could be made by the worst composers out there.

Yeah, they have some great composers as well. I love Harry Gregson Williams (just have a listen to the theme of MGS 2 or 3, phenomenal stuff, espacily the synths).

Marco Beltrami has grown considerably in my book since I created this thread. 3:10 To Yuma is just simply outstanding composing. I also really like his themes for I, Robot and his score for The Three Burials Of Melquiades Estrada.

MOzart

Goldsmith

Giacchino

3 of the worst - most overrated composers on earth

No, in the case of 2 of them,

1. they are not on this earth any more

2. You might not like their music but it's pretty much in the books that Mozart and Goldsmith were very good at what they did.

As for my list, yes, Santaolalla is up there. He ain't a composer by any stretch in my books. Brian Tyler (aka Guy Smiley) should retire and become a model for GQ for something. He's a hack. Same with Tyler Bates. Don't think much of Jablonsky either, and Trevor Rabin should go back to YES. I really despise rockers who turn to film composing in their twilight years...except for Elfman. He's the exception.

MOzart

Goldsmith

Giacchino

3 of the worst - most overrated composers on earth

No, in the case of 2 of them,

1. they are not on this earth any more

2. You might not like their music but it's pretty much in the books that Mozart and Goldsmith were very good at what they did.

As for my list, yes, Santaolalla is up there. He ain't a composer by any stretch in my books. Brian Tyler (aka Guy Smiley) should retire and become a model for GQ for something. He's a hack. Same with Tyler Bates. Don't think much of Jablonsky either, and Trevor Rabin should go back to YES. I really despise rockers who turn to film composing in their twilight years...except for Elfman. He's the exception.

I second all David said and add 3 more note-assemblers (not composers) to the list: John Ottman, Javier Navarrete and Alejandro Amenábar (the latter retired from music, and the rest should just follow his steps). Every second of recorded music is a waste of talent of all musicians involved in the recording process.

Amenabar was a director first and foremost. He had some assistance scoring The Others as I recall...Yeah, Ottman loves film scores but he ain't doing them a favor.

Do you guys know what the common equation of suckiness there is among all these composers we revile? Too much money to spend on gear, and not enough skill or talent to write good music.

I would love to do this test- turn off all the power except a light, put every well known composer in a room with a piano and manuscript and see what they come up with. Here's my outcome

1. Williams kills everyone with what he comes up with melodically, harmonically and oh yes, he can orchestrate off of the piano too. His 8 stave score would contain everything needed for an orchestra to perform

2. Horner comes up with something decent but is kinda evocative of some lost Prokofiev piece

3. Zimmer doesn't write music but remembers a chord progression or two that he can fire off to an assistant who will transcribe his playing onto paper

4. Ottman, Santaolalla, Tyler, Bates, Jablonsky, et all come up with rubbish because they cannot write music without the aid of a full computer rig and a shitload of samples.

5. Shore writes a fleshed out piece but it's limited to his ascending/descending arpeggiations with the root, 3rd, 5th and flat 6th

6. Elfman does his best to scrawl out some meanderings on paper that include his quick 16th note descending flurries

7. Giacchino writes a theme on piano for long, drawn out plaintive chords and might futz with the piano strings for the scarier parts

Of course there are more I could tackle but you get the idea.

This type of exercise is something I had to do in university when we had a guest violinist in our composition class. We had 20 minutes to scurry to a piano module and write out something he could play when we got back. Tough stuff.

I really despise rockers who turn to film composing in their twilight years...except for Elfman. He's the exception.

And David Arnold. :lol:

Wrong quote, I didn't say that ;)

Speaking of, Hisaishi is also an ex-rocker who later became a damn good composer.

I really despise rockers who turn to film composing in their twilight years...except for Elfman. He's the exception.

And David Arnold. :lol:

Wrong quote, I didn't say that ;)

Speaking of, Hisaishi is also an ex-rocker who later became a damn good composer.

Or did you...? :(

Bit of sloppy quote deleting there, sorry.

1. Williams kills everyone with what he comes up with melodically, harmonically and oh yes, he can orchestrate off of the piano too. His 8 stave score would contain everything needed for an orchestra to perform

2. Horner comes up with something decent but is kinda evocative of some lost Prokofiev piece

3. Zimmer doesn't write music but remembers a chord progression or two that he can fire off to an assistant who will transcribe his playing onto paper

4. Ottman, Santaolalla, Tyler, Bates, Jablonsky, et all come up with rubbish because they cannot write music without the aid of a full computer rig and a shitload of samples.

5. Shore writes a fleshed out piece but it's limited to his ascending/descending arpeggiations with the root, 3rd, 5th and flat 6th

6. Elfman does his best to scrawl out some meanderings on paper that include his quick 16th note descending flurries

7. Giacchino writes a theme on piano for long, drawn out plaintive chords and might futz with the piano strings for the scarier parts

HAHA, really funny. That pretty much sums it up. The current state of film music.

As you say, "Too much money to spend on gear, and not enough skill or talent to write good music. ", There's so much great unrecorded music out there that I find it a real waste to hire some of the best musicians in the world (real A-class orchestras) to play what you've described above.

Brian Tyler?!

Go listen to Darkness Falls and most recently The Killing Room and tell me this guy is the worst composer.

He is easily one of the most promising composers along with Desplat, Giacchino, and Powell right now.

Brian Tyler?!

Go listen to Darkness Falls and most recently The Killing Room and tell me this guy is the worst composer.

He is easily one of the most promising composers along with Desplat, Giacchino, and Powell right now.

No he isn't. I know orchestrators who lament trying to figure out his MIDI messes. I think that's what's so annoying about him in particular. He comes off as knowing his shit but everyone knows he doesn't. The Killing Room does sound better than what he's done but it's still a very limited musical vocabulary he's drawing from to my ears. I like parts of his Constantine (and not the Badelt nonsense- he's worse actually)) but Tyler has not shown me anything new or interesting. He's a prettier, straight version of John Ottman.

I second all David said and add 3 more note-assemblers (not composers) to the list: John Ottman, Javier Navarrete and Alejandro Amenábar (the latter retired from music, and the rest should just follow his steps). Every second of recorded music is a waste of talent of all musicians involved in the recording process.

What's wrong with Navarrete? And I like Ameanabar's Mar Adentro.

;) Ooh, er, not much of the Crimbo spirit on this thread, is there? I guess it's a case of "to each his own", although the person who posted J.W., J.G., J.N.H, et. al. (Bondo, was it?) is taking a VERY big risk. Personally, I like Eric Serra, and I love the "GoldenEye" score (and "The 5th. Element", come to that). It seems to suit the post-modernist feel of the film. Jarre is wonderful; his Lean scores are beautiful, as is "Witness", "J.of N.", and "The Mosquito Coast". Gotta go now-gas leak in the library!!!

I personally don't like much output from Ottman or Tyler. Neither impresses me with their thematic abilities and I don't look out for new material from either of them. I actually prefer a lot of Rabin's material - The Great Raid, Flyboys, Armageddon.

Horner consistently annoys me with how much material he nicks. I saw part of 2001 at the weekend, and after a few minutes realised I was listening to Aliens. And Avatar doesn't match up to the hype IMO. The movie may be great, but the music rarely seems to go beyond functional.

On the other hand, I'm really liking Christophe Beck and Deborah Lurie at the moment, Once in a while you come across a composer whose style seems to gel with you instantly.

I cannot stand Trevor Rabin. Trevor Jones, on the other hand, is okay. Not great, just okay.

Tyler is okay, I like his RAMBO score and his adaptation of Jerry's theme. Ottman again is okay, although I think his X2 score is pretty good, and I like some of the bits in SUPERMAN RETURNS that doesn't involve Williams' material.

There are, and will probably only ever be, two composers whose works I will consistently buy "sight unseen" just because I like their other works and feel that their albums are worth owning -- Goldsmith and Williams. That does not mean that I will spend significantly more than I should have had to for sealed OOP albums well after the fact, because I simply won't do it. Not having heard any of these OOP albums makes it easier to sleep knowing I won't own them.

As for the other guys, any great composer can write a bad score on an off day, and any bad composer can write a score so cool it makes you wonder why he doesn't perform like that all the time.

So while people here hate Zimmer, I rather enjoy The Lion King, the latter Pirates scores, and grew fond of Gladiator from repeated listenings before the Pirates franchise came along. Those are enough for me.

People hate Ottman, but I have heard worse scores than Superman Returns. People hate Javier Navarette, but Pan's Labyrinth is a fantastic dark fantasy score. People hate Shore, but I can't imagine having a soundtrack collection without TLOTR CR on the shelf. But it doesn't mean I'm going to go flesh out each composer's repertoire based on those works. No Brian Tyler, no Desplat, no Powell, one JN Howard, and my Michael G will probably be limited to his Star Trek work.

Ok, to a lesser extent, I do buy the re-recordings of the EW Korngold and Steiner scores "sight unseen," but they're so cheap nowadays, how could I not?

There are, and will probably only ever be, two composers whose works I will consistently buy "sight unseen" just because I like their other works and feel that their albums are worth owning -- Goldsmith and Williams. That does not mean that I will spend significantly more than I should have had to for sealed OOP albums well after the fact, because I simply won't do it. Not having heard any of these OOP albums makes it easier to sleep knowing I won't own them.

As for the other guys, any great composer can write a bad score on an off day, and any bad composer can write a score so cool it makes you wonder why he doesn't perform like that all the time.

So while people here hate Zimmer, I rather enjoy The Lion King, the latter Pirates scores, and grew fond of Gladiator from repeated listenings before the Pirates franchise came along. Those are enough for me.

People hate Ottman, but I have heard worse scores than Superman Returns. People hate Javier Navarette, but Pan's Labyrinth is a fantastic dark fantasy score. People hate Shore, but I can't imagine having a soundtrack collection without TLOTR CR on the shelf. But it doesn't mean I'm going to go flesh out each composer's repertoire based on those works. No Brian Tyler, no Desplat, no Powell, one JN Howard, and my Michael G will probably be limited to his Star Trek work.

Ok, to a lesser extent, I do buy the re-recordings of the EW Korngold and Steiner scores "sight unseen," but they're so cheap nowadays, how could I not?

There will be always people who like or dislike a certain composer. It's about what the majority says not some few single persons. If you search long enough you will even find a person who says that Williams or Menken are complete bullshit. As I said, opinions are like assholes.

Brian Tyler?!

As you once fondly stated, Tyler needs to learn THAT THE ENTIRE ORCHESTRA DOES NOT NEED TO ALL PLAY AT ONCE AND AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE.