What is the last film you watched?

Mr. Breathmask

I love Across the Universe. Twice in the theater, twice at home, once wiht commentary....one of my favorites of 2007. Not as intellectually stimulating as most of my other favorites...but just pure bliss.

Too bad the album doesnt feature the film versions of the songs. I love the juxtaposition of She Loves You over All You Need Is Love in the film for one....and the garbage bin drumming in Hey Jude

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are quite wrong, actually. Depp and Rush in the first PoTC make it far, far better. And the third movie has a lot going on despite being ridiculesly over-plotted and at times ineptly scripted.

All the great acting can't make a sucky movie better. And the first one felt more like a pirate parody than an actual pirate movie - but without all the pirate feeling that the Monkey Island series, despite the absurdity, still brilliantly retains.

Well it was, after all, based on a theme park ride.

I still love how Depp explained the concept on the first dvd commentary. "Yeah Johnny we want you to do a pirate movie," and I said "Ok." and then they go "And it's based on a ride" and I was like "Whoah"

While a lot of the humour and the 'cool' scenes in POTC 3 were yawn-inducing (i. e. the giant woman, some of the interaction between the main characters, the 'wedding' in midst the final battle), i still find the movie somewhat compelling for the sheer monstrosity of the special effects and, listen up, the scope of Zimmer's score. The whole sequence where they are sailing into 'No Man's Land' is very moody filmed and scored.

The love theme and the pirate theme (Hoist the Colors) are certainly stand-outs in the thematic department of 2007. The script vcertainly had it's problems, though. To put it mildly.

The Ugly Dashund (sp): I have a dashund, so I figured I had to see it. While it was largely predictably and absurb, it was still entertaining. I had a good time watching it, some scenes were very entertaining. **1/2/*****

You are quite wrong, actually. Depp and Rush in the first PoTC make it far, far better. And the third movie has a lot going on despite being ridiculesly over-plotted and at times ineptly scripted.

All the great acting can't make a sucky movie better.

It can make it extremely watchable, which does make the movie better. And there is ambition in the later movies, ever if it misguided and not very well-scripted (I felt guilty that I paid to see the third film, the movie is so adamandtly pro-piracy and anti-corporation).

I saw A History of Violence again. Great damn film.

I also bought The Lives of Others. I'm so happy to own this one....my favorite film of '06. No movie for me has been quite as effective at presenting the worst that life under Communism can be, in addition to other things (I am apprantly the only person on the face of the earth who did not feel that 4 months, 3 weeks and 2 days is an amazing film).

Part of my birthday present was the 14 disc Superman set. So this weekend was set aside for the man of steel.

Superman - probably the best superhero film made, wouldn't change a thing.

Superman II - hasn't held up well after 20+ years, too much silly humor. Did Margo Kidder have a facelift between re-shooting scenes for Lester's cut?

Superman II Donner cut - I was suprised at how well they were able to put this together based on some of the reviews I've read. Much better attempt but I would imagine more scenes still needed to be filmed. Film could have been another 15 - 20 mins longer. Climax with villians was dull but at least not as silly as Lester's.

Superman III - Big mistake with the direction of the film although bringing Lana Lang back was good. Richard Pryor is/was funny and has done some very good work in the past but was completely wrong for Superman.

Superman IV - heart was in the right place but with everything that happened on this film it's a small miracle they got this thing made. Some awful rescue sequences, especially the Monty Pythonesque subway sequence with the engineer suddenly keeling over from a heart attack. Almost expected to hear Michael Palin's voice "Lois and Clark were off to work on another fine day when suddenly the engineer had a massive heart attack". For all the problems this film had Warner Bros should have made an attempt to restore the complete version.

Plus how in the name of hell did Lacy manage to survive being that far out of the earth's atmosphere????????? :eek2:

Superman Returns (or Superman The Soap Opera) - :lol: Nice to look at but just a very slow boring film. After viewing the completely boring X-men films by Singer I'm not suprised at how bland Superman turned out under his direction. The cast is too young, no chemistry between the characters, Luthor is too mean (didn't really care for the brutal beating Superman takes from Luthor and his henchman). Superman has a son????? If this is a "sequel" to Superman I & II Singer must have watched the Donner cut since that's the only way for her to have his kid unless they did it another time. Does she know he's Clark?

Superman Returns (or Superman The Soap Opera) - :lol: Nice to look at but just a very slow boring film. After viewing the completely boring X-men films by Singer I'm not suprised at how bland Superman turned out under his direction. The cast is too young, no chemistry between the characters, Luthor is too mean (didn't really care for the brutal beating Superman takes from Luthor and his henchman). Superman has a son????? If this is a "sequel" to Superman I & II Singer must have watched the Donner cut since that's the only way for her to have his kid unless they did it another time. Does she know he's Clark?

Here's the explanation:

SAM HUNTINGTON

You're back! Well let me fill you in on what's happened since the last movie. Kevin Spacey is out of jail, Kate Bosworth is married to Cyclops, and the world has adjusted to a lack of Superman.

BRANDON ROUTH

I see. Well, did Nuclear Man ever get himself off the moon?

SAM HUNTINGTON

Nuclear Man? Oh, I see. No, when I say "last movie" I mean Superman II. And when I say "Superman II", I mean the Richard Donner version, which was never completed or released to theaters in the United States. Heh. We're pretending the third and fourth movies didn't happen because they sucked.

BRANDON ROUTH

As opposed to the first movie, in which Superman flies around the world backwards to turn back time? And the second one, where Superman suddenly has the power to create holograms of himself to trick other Kryptonians? Those two are so awesome that we dare not disrespect them by pretending they didn't happen, but the other two are dog s***?

SAM HUNTINGTON

Exactly. The other two are unworthy to be considered canon.

BRANDON ROUTH

Yet this movie is supposed to be canon even though it sucks worse than the Superman 64 video game?

I will say this, Brandon Routh did look different when he was disguised as Clark compared to his look as Superman. It wasn't so obvious as past Supermen.

Aside from my daughter telling me that after two days of hearing the Superman theme if she heard one more time she would go "hurt" me, the best moment had to be my son looking at me after SR and asking "what was the plot?".

the best moment had to be my son looking at me after SR and asking "what was the plot?".

Well, you know. Superman flies majestically and people stare in awe, and some references to the original film are made and then credits roll. Doesnt look like Singer was looking for much else.

You thought Luthor was too mean Mark? I thought he wasn't ruthless enough since he is in the comics. That was always my biggest problem with the first Superman film.

I love Hackman in the original, and Spacey in the remake. Never cared for the character of Superman. Boring as hell.

SAM HUNTINGTON

Nuclear Man? Oh, I see. No, when I say "last movie" I mean Superman II. And when I say "Superman II", I mean the Richard Donner version, which was never completed or released to theaters in the United States.

But Marlon Brando died in the Donner version...

Superman II Donner cut - I was suprised at how well they were able to put this together based on some of the reviews I've read. Much better attempt but I would imagine more scenes still needed to be filmed. Film could have been another 15 - 20 mins longer. Climax with villians was dull but at least not as silly as Lester's.

I always thought there was some problems with the sequence of events even with what they have. Wouldnt it have made more sense if Clark had slept with Lois AFTER he gave up his powers? As it is, whats really to stop him from keeping his powers and Lois?

Eastern Promises I need to see again. Although I'm afraid it felt a bit thin the first time I saw it. It felt far too story-oriented.

My least favorite Connery Bond. Although Thunderball is not far behind.

Yes, that's always a bad thing in a film.....

Well, it is if one has a movie like A History of Violence on his mind.

I always thought there was some problems with the sequence of events even with what they have. Wouldnt it have made more sense if Clark had slept with Lois AFTER he gave up his powers? As it is, whats really to stop him from keeping his powers and Lois?

Yeah that doesn't make sense, unless he was wearing a super condom or had great control over himself because he would have blown her insides apart after climaxing. :rolleyes:

But maybe Donner had something in mind for future films, with Lois perhaps having his child. Although the original ending for II was for him to turn back the world, which ruins the last sequence of him going back to the truck stop and getting his revenge.

I haven't listened to any of the commentaries but I watched the doc on The Donner cut and and I though he mentioned if he had finished Superman II at the time, then perhaps he could have continued with more films.

But one theme was present in both versions of II, If he were to give up the Superman identity and live with Lois for the rest of his life he had to sacrifice his powers.

The Donner version does a much better job handling this material.

So a director has to fullfill your preconceived expectations about what the film should be?

Those aren't my notions of what the film should be. But when I'm faced with what a director has the capacity to do, and I see less than that, I can't help but be dissapointed. Eastern Promises felt relatively cold and impersonal to me, while History of Violence was an emotional juggernaut. Which is why I'm gonna see it again, more free of my initial expectations.

For me that would be NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN. "You know that making love to Fatima was the greatest pleasure of your life".

Watched IN BRUGES last night with Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes. Excellent dark comedy with great use made of the Belgian city of Bruges. I only saw it because I'm heading to Bruges at the end of March for a few days R&R.

Diamonds Are Forever by far.

"And now as we head down the Amstel, you will see......ohhh!!!"

My favorite Connery-era Bond movie is On Her Majesty's Secret Service. And I think it's better without Connery than it would have been with him. It's obvious in You Only Live Twice that he's lost interest in playing Bond -- he looks like he's mentally balancing his checkbook during most of that movie. He's even worse in Diamonds Are Forever, except in a few comedic scenes in which he seems galvanized by the opportunity to do something a little different. Though Lazenby was not exactly a great actor, I think he's pretty good in some scenes, and the fact that he seems a little lost and bewildered actually kind of works in the story's favor.

Vantage Point, a film that the critics weren't kind to but I found it to be quite entertaining.

perhaps they should have reviewed it for what it was and not what it wasn't.

perhaps they should have reviewed it for what it was and not what it wasn't.

Quite a few members here are frequently guilty of this

Stargate: The Ark of Truth.

I personally thought the writers rushed this one. There was so much to look forward to, and so much potential for this to be a phenomenal conclusion to the Ori storyline that took up the last two seasons of the show. Unfortunately, the story is watered down by a secondary B-plot in order to shoo off several characters who appear they would have had nothing to do in the main story anyway. Ben Browder and Amanda Tapping are pushed to the side to fight Replicators when those nasty bugs had no business taking up precious screen time in this movie anyway - they seemed like they were a left-over idea from a pitched mid-season two-parter in a hypothetical Season 11. You'll know what I mean when you see it. Just lazy writing.

However, Michael Shanks, Christopher Judge and Claudia Black were exceptional in their roles as usual taking on the main baddie played by the beautiful Morena Baccarin, who appeared to be dying to unleash the performance of her career thus far, but tired, lazy writing only allowed her about four minutes of screentime, so she didn't get to show off much besides her hypnotizing good looks. A wise man once said (I think his name was Roger) that a movie is only as good as its villain, but the makers ignored that convention so badly, it made me want to go back and watch Roland Emmerich's film again, whose movie I feel has aged rather well compared to even this.

Still, it had wonderful photography (it would have been even nicer if they'd shot it in 2.40:1 rather than the standard 1.78:1, but I guess they're catering to the DVD market, so...), passable acting and a stellar score by Joel Goldsmith, so I give this a 6/10 just because I'm generous and I was happy seeing these characters I liked for so many years once again.

Here's hoping for Stargate: Continuum!

Wow, it's probably been since this past summer since I've posted in this thread...finally catching up on some movies as its spring break here.

Been a while since I've seen any movies worth mentioning much, but tonight and last night a couple of interesting ones:

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Film: 4.4 out of 5

Score: 3.5 out of 5

Film: Wow, surprisingly good...(Just now finished it!) First of all, the cinematography and direction were stunning. I must say Tom Tykwer is another director I wouldn't mind seeing get ahold of some Potter. The film had a strong fantasy, gritty fairytale-like thread throughout, and the storytelling had you hooked to the end. Strong characters, even the ones with less face time, extremely fine turns by Alan Rickman and Dustin Hoffmann, and Rachel Hurd-Wood (from Peter Pan, now all grown up), and big props to the lead, Ben Whishaw who gave a very distinctive performance as the killer. Perhaps due to the way the original book is written (which I haven't read yet) or maybe just good acting, but at times you even found yourself feeling sorry for, or rooting for the killer somehow, a pitiful and fundamentally naive and backwards soul.

Score: A big story here was the Berlin Philharmonic recorded this, a lucky streak there, Sir Simon Rattle happens to be a big fan of director Tom Tykwer, so that's how that collaboration came about...shame the director insisted on writing his own music. While really not bad, and quite lovely in places, it stays in the well-traversed realm of minimalistic "fairytale" score, with some angelic choir laid on top, and naturally, the omnipresent angelic soprano. The End Credits are decent, and all you really need to hear to get an idea of the score...really a missed opportunity. I think Alexandre Desplat would have been amazing.

Notes On a Scandal

Film: 4.0 out of 5

Score: 4.5 out of 5

Film: What?! The premise of this is just absurd, I'm surprised Cate Blanchett took this part. The only reason this get up to 4 stars for me is because of the amazing performances of Blanchett, and especially Judi Dench, wow. Dench totally creeped me out, actually I couldn't like any character in this movie (except, maybe Bill Nighy), but I appreciated that. I still can't get over the utterly bizarro sex scenes but this was a decent movie. It got gimmicky at times, but excellent acting and good storytelling through the use of the diary.

Score: Liked the score a whole lot, good classic Phillip Glass, this is one I would definitely listen to away from the film. Beautifully unsettling and mysterious.

The last film The AI watched is Perfect Stranger.

Oh, so we are back with the dark little thrillers again AI.

Yes, we are.

What happened to Lovewrecked?

Well, lets just say it got rescued. get it, rescued?

Yeah I get it man. Can we just get on with it?

What can I say about this flick, it was really rather predictable. It was a paint by numbers flick thriller. With a lot of overacting by Halle Berry.

What's the rating then?

The AI gives this film **/****

Finally saw Cloverfield last night. Woke up at 4am because of the wind and couldn't stop picturing the monster.

One hell of a film - the realism is incredible, the performances generally believable and the ending I think took the right option. Have to see this again when it's released on whatever media. We stayed for about the first 30 seconds or so of 'Roar (not difficult, everyone apart from us two left as soon as the credits rolled) and while it didn't remotely fit the tone of the film, I look forward to obtaining it.

Strangely, one of the scariest parts for me was the party itself. Just waiting and waiting for that *BOOOOM* to come made my heart race.

Hope to also see Juno in the next couple of days - the reviews it's getting makes it too good to pass and my brother and I need a more 'normal' film that doesn't have stalking monsters.

The Second Civil War. I'd never heard of this Joe Dante TV movie until last week...and I just came upon it by chance at my DVD place (it was on the Roger Corman shelf by mistake). Terrific satire. And I've seen several movies that have come true to some extent....but this one gets some of the nuances of future events to an lamost unbelievable extent. And even though it is (I think) the only non-Jerry scores Dante film since the 80's, Hummie Mann's score is quite good for the proceedings.

I'm not the biggest Dante fan...but this and Small Soldiers just strike me the right way.

Superman II. Chris Reeve gets to expand on his character, unfortunately the score does not get to do the same.

But it's fabuolous as published in The Blue Box. ;)

Otherwise, watched Superman III. Ah, the memories ... :mellow:;) And I ADORE the Main Title (The Streets of Metropolis)! ;)

Film: Wow, surprisingly good...(Just now finished it!) First of all, the cinematography and direction were stunning.

I agree about cinematography and direction. The film's problem is that while I can forgive most of its flaws for these two reasons, it gets the purpose of the orgy scene entirely wrong and basically ruins the main character and by extension the whole story that way. As good as the rest of the movie is, that's pretty unforgiveable.

Oh, and I do recommend you read the book. :lol: