Star Wars - The Clone Wars

Joe Brausam

Looks pretty good I have to say. I still feel it's a bit unnecessary, but that doesn't mean it can't be good.

I started watching that trailer, but when it paused to buffer, I was like, "Ehh..."

YouTube technology has spoiled us, hasn't it? Pausing to buffer is so 2005.

Given that this series isn't anything up to par with Pixar animation, it has to excel in its storytelling. Unfortunately from the trailer, we can't really tell if it's even going to attempt that. I dunno, this seems like a mixed bag for me. I like the idea and I understand for a TV show, the animation is pretty good . . . but we need a strong story. I would've easily traded this trailer for a trailer containing one dynamite scene between two of the characters (if such a thing existed). I know I'll enjoy this when it comes out, but I would love it if it attempts something different.

We'll see.

I was underwhelmed by the trailer as well. A big part of the problem is that these characters and stories, not just PT but OT as well, have run their course. What the LucasFilms folks need to do is take a look at the huge critical, commercial, and creative success of the Knights of the Old Republic games and realize that they can tell some great Star Wars stories with new characters in fresh time periods. But I suppose that would just make too much sense.

Dont be so picky with the Jabba's son plot.

I'm sure it has something to do with Chancellor palpatine or the republic owing a favor to Jabba (information, suplies for the war, whatever) and in the other hand Sidious makes dooku think he has to get rid of the Hutts because they are competition for the Confederacy, or As an independent entity with wealth and resources they want to force them into the Confederacy.

Well,I checkd it out.I was expecting the TV style animation,not CG like that. It would be good if they found a great story and made the animation really cutting edge like whtat we see in the Wall E trailer

Well,I checkd it out.I was expecting the TV style animation,not CG like that. It would be good if they found a great story and made the animation really cutting edge like whtat we see in the Wall E trailer

Its cutting edge, for a TV series.

I have yet to see a TV CG show cartoon with this kind of quality.

Hey the CGI almost looked like it was taken from the actual movie.

Just what we needed, a movie about one of the most boring battles of one of the pointless and dull wars in the history of Star Wars.

I'll wait until this comes out on DVD to see it. I'm not really that interested in it... in fact my interest in Star Wars (minus the scores) has dropped a lot over the last year or so.

I hope they don't bastardize John's music.

Have you already forgotten the prequels? If so, I envy you.

Neil

sadly no

some wounds take time to heal.

Yeah, I wish they could have got Mcneely, His SOTE Score was awsome and still is :o

atleast its orchestra, but the prague recordings for star wars stink :S

• 2 weeks later...
theatrical poster, John Williams themes will be used (of course... :))

click

On second look, this picture appears like it may be the beginning of the Battle of Coruscant, leading into Ep III. This is promising as I'd really, really like to see the events of "Labyrinth of Evil" included here. That book was great and should be required reading for all fans.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=44750

The official poster (that looks great) says score by Kevin Kiner and ORIGINAL STAR WARS THEMES AND SCORE BY JOHN WILLIAMS...

That just means that they are using Williams 'action cues' and the likes, not just the actual themes and leifmotifs.

The official poster (that looks great) says score by Kevin Kiner and ORIGINAL STAR WARS THEMES AND SCORE BY JOHN WILLIAMS...

That just means that they are using Williams 'action cues' and the likes, not just the actual themes and leifmotifs.

How do you know? The previous CW cartoon used the likes of The Force Theme and The Imperial March, as well as other little homages to JW's score. This being SW on the big screen again, I don't think they'd go without a significant portion of the themes that everybody knows and loves.

How do you know? The previous CW cartoon used the likes of The Force Theme and The Imperial March, as well as other little homages to JW's score. This being SW on the big screen again, I don't think they'd go without a significant portion of the themes that everybody knows and loves.

I'm saying that they are using the themes AND non thematical music.

Not a bad poster, but the characters look a bit weird. Still doesn't change my view on the movie, for better or for worse.

Unless I'm just blinded by my cynicism, I can't see the public embracing this at all. Aside from little kids, and maybe hardcore SW fans, it'll probably get laughed out of theatres.

Unless I'm just blinded by my cynicism, I can't see the public embracing this at all. Aside from little kids, and maybe hardcore SW fans, it'll probably get laughed out of theatres.

Unfortunately, the US happens to be a country where idiots will see garbage like Meet the Spartans or Little Man in droves yet stay away from stuff like No Country for Old Men or There Will Be Blood. I personally like the animation style in the fact that its different to other 3D styles and therefore, is unique like Star Wars should be. Do I think the movie will be good? No, especially if the story is about

Jabba the Hutt and his kidnapped child.

Then again, it is Star Wars and its enough to bring me out to a matinée showing before I go back to school (senior year baby!) Hopefully the music will be good and something memorable. I liked some of the music in the 2D clone wars cartoon, though I don't think there's been a release of that music.

This isn't star wars this has nothing to do with the movie called Star Wars, wasn't even thought off back in the day.

Fine by me. I'm a fan of the universe. Your logic could be applied to the Star Trek franchise. It doesn't matter to me, I'll always be there.

Ray's right. This thing's going to flop harder and faster than a 20 pound bass that just got dumped in the back of the boat.

I think you'll be surprised at the power of the fanboy.

I still consider myself a prequel fan, but I have my limits. Now if it was a movie based on KotoR or somesuch I'd be more interested, I just think that all the stories that need/can be told with these characters have been done.

I've finally seen the trailer for The Clone Wars, and I have to admit that it looks at least a little cool. But I hate the character design, and the trailer itself is an exercise in how to not put together a trailer. I suspect that most people who see this will just laugh at it and never even consider buying a ticket. It's going to be up to the hardest of the hard-core fans to turn it into a hit, and there aren't enough of them to do so, in my opinion. A modest opening weekend, followed by a 70% drop-off in the second weekend.

I think it is going to turn out to be a terrible mistaske releasing this to theatres. It's going to crash and burn at the box office and create enormous amounts of bad publicity for the TV series. It would have been better to just put it on TV, let it be a mid-range hit, and allow it to be judged on its own merits (or lack thereof). In theatres, it's going to have no choice but to be compared to the movies, and I don't see any way that can end favorably.

I still consider myself a prequel fan, but I have my limits. Now if it was a movie based on KotoR or somesuch I'd be more interested, I just think that all the stories that need/can be told with these characters have been done.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I still think that the greatest sin committed by the prequels -- which I, too, am a fan of, although marginally -- is that they gloss right over the Clone Wars. Star Wars fans had been waiting years and years to see the Clone Wars, and they happen almost entirely offscreen?!? F--k that s--t! F--k it to death!

This movie/series would seem to be an attempt to rectify that, but I suspect that I'm going to just be sitting there thinking, yes, this is cool, WHY WASN'T IT IN THE REAL MOVIE?????? Either that, or I'll have stopped watching.

New trailer:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=44791

It looks fine to me, but it is not really really strange to see the Warner logo before the Lucasfilm one with Williams music over them...? I think I will miss the Fox theme at the begining...

New trailer:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=44791

It looks fine to me, but it is not really really strange to see the Warner logo before the Lucasfilm one with Williams music over them...? I think I will miss the Fox theme at the begining...

I agree. Somehow, that Fox logo just sets the right mood for Star Wars. (I still think it's cool that the four-disc box set included the Fox music. That was an awfully nice touch.)

From the new Lucas interview:

In August, Lucas says, he’s releasing an animated 90-minute "Star Wars" movie to theaters via Warner Bros. called "Clone Wars." It will be followed in September by an animated series on the Cartoon Network and TNT.

"No one wanted it," he told me. "Every studio rejected it, including Fox, and I’m very loyal to them. They have right of first refusal. Eventually I brought it to Warners. It’s the first time that three components of the studio have acted together. It’s very exciting.

"But the story is that everyone said, 'No one gets this. It’s just … 'Star Wars.'' I said, 'That’s right, It’s just 'Star Wars.' Just like this is … 'Indiana Jones.''"

So even Fox, which greenlit an animated film for this summer called Space Chimps, passed on Clone Wars? They thought Garfield: A Tale of Two Kitties was a good idea, but decided they'd rather let another studio have a piece of the Star Wars franchise than release it under their name? How reassuring.

I'm actually liking the look of the animation now. Too bad everything else about the film is going to suck balls!

• 4 weeks later...

New trailer...

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809991325/video/8273357

I won't lie, it does look pretty cool.

Did I hear Ewan McGregor and Christopher Lee doing voices? Not only that, but it is also likely that Sam Jackson came back also - according to rumors..